GhostBSD 11.1beta1

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
angus71

Re: GhostBSD 11.1beta1

Post by angus71 »

Hi Achim!
Of course, glad I might be of help... ;)
For the DVD-problem look at the post in the "Tips and Tricks"-section called "Getting certain DVD's to play [SOLVED]".
Alas I do not know how to set a link to it... It's just about install the library libdvdcss.
The message on plugging an usb-stick in reads: "Mount XX(name of the device) is not possible Message recipient disconnected from
message bus without replying". Actually the stick works! On unmounting the error-message reads: "unmount: unmount of /media/XX failed: Operation not permitted"
That's about all I can tell you for what it's worth... :lol:
Cheers!
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi

Alright, that lib problem with DVD was something else then. Never had a problem in THAT direction.
Mine was the program crashing when trying to burn other stuff than images...
About that "operation not permitted.." - had strange behaviour with one ext. Hdd that was a misconfigured fuse- driver and some sticks, which seems to be a 'weired' combination of type of stick, used usb ports on my Nokia netbook and BSD installation.
I m still figureing out what exactly is the problem causing some sticks to be installed incomplete!?
BTW: what s the minimum size, a USB stick should have for Ghost 11.1 installation?

Best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote: BTW: what s the minimum size, a USB stick should have for Ghost 11.1 installation?
Do you mean the size when GhostBSD is installed onto a USB stick ? that is probably is around 8(eight) GByte.
Approximately 3x the size of the ISO image, (that will be decompressed), plus some fs reserved space, plus swap size.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Ah, thx ASX!

Then a smaller stick would surely produce an error message during installation.
Tried with Linux Mint 18 another installation on stick and -again- had these failed login probs.
So there must be s.th. in comb. of USB stick, Nokia netbook and installation...
So far GhostBSD 11.1beta works fine and with the final version it will be installed on HDD again instead of stick...

Best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

well, even VLC runs with all necessary codecs, better from beginning, than it ever was with OpenSuse! :-D
if the final version goes that way as beta does, I ll replace Linux on my 2nd main laptop with it. and later maybe on the "big" one. ;-)

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi folks

except for burning stuff and printing I m mostly through so far with self-testing and most things work well with GhostBSD 11.1beta!
The "Padre" start problem was an old issue as expected. The script sequence in 'Locker.pm' is still wrong in one section; if s.o. works with 'Padre' as Perl IDE, let me know and I ll post a link to get rid of this. 8-)
Another problem I came across is a segmentation fault one, with 'Chromium' that doesn t start in any way, neither via normal user or 'root'!
As my main working netbook has same amount of 1GB RAM without any probs and a memory check on the Nokia didn t appear with any flaws either, maybe a bug as well as with language in OctoPkg?

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

Achim,
Chromium is memory hungry, probably the most bloated web browser out there, and 1 Gb RAM is a very low amount of RAM these days.
(building chromium package may require around 10 GB RAM, building chromium with debug features enabled will need more than 16 GB RAM, that's to give you an idea of todays browsers memory requirements, firefox is only a little behind those figures).

I'm using several browsers,and I can tell you that using multiple tabs chromium or firefox alone very often exceed 1 GB usage, addtionally chromium never worked well for me.

Running on a 1 GB machine is not a good test bed, and when a system is low of RAM you can experience all sort of malfuctions, because:
a) FreeBSD is not very smart at managing the swap
b) many programs fails to check if the mem they request has been effectively allocated, and by doing so they crash when running in a low mem environment.

~~~

the burning stuff:
try to open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

sudo xfburn
then please give us feedback if that solve the problems or not.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:Achim,
Chromium is memory hungry, probably the most bloated web browser out there, and 1 Gb RAM is a very low amount of RAM these days.
(building chromium package may require around 10 GB RAM, building chromium with debug features enabled will need more than 16 GB RAM, that's to give you an idea of todays browsers memory requirements, firefox is only a little behind those figures).

I'm using several browsers,and I can tell you that using multiple tabs chromium or firefox alone very often exceed 1 GB usage, addtionally chromium never worked well for me.
well, funny that on Linux it s quite the opposite for me, 'Chromium' works there much better than all the Mozilla stuff!
ASX wrote: Running on a 1 GB machine is not a good test bed, and when a system is low of RAM you can experience all sort of malfuctions, because:
a) FreeBSD is not very smart at managing the swap
b) many programs fails to check if the mem they request has been effectively allocated, and by doing so they crash when running in a low mem environment.
agreed with that 1GB point of critic, but have nothing superior for this year as the "big one" is my main working one and has to stay stable, early next year I wanna switch to a new 8GB RAM laptop and can use THIS one as new testbed then. :(
~~~
ASX wrote: the burning stuff:
try to open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

sudo xfburn
then please give us feedback if that solve the problems or not.
yep, it works well with data CDs of all kind but other than with 10.3 DVDs aren t recognized with 11.1beta: always get a SCSI error, something with "5 30 06 - cannot format medium, incompatible medium", maybe that s due to low memory as well!
that s why I kept off the 'burning stuff' so far!
strangely I can burn everything on my 1GB Asus netbook with Linux Mint 17 with all mediums and all projects incl. data projects... :?
maybe FreeBSD is really a bit more "hungry" on that! :)
well, as said, early next year, there are two laptops available then with 4GB and 8GB RAM to work with!

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

with 11.1beta: always get a SCSI error, something with "5 30 06 - cannot format medium, incompatible medium"
Unless you can prove otherwise, it is entirely possible that your drive doesn't support the medium drive, eg. the drive can support DVD-R and your disc is DVD+R or something on that line. While todays drive support nearly all available medium, it was not so a few years ago.

Check you drive specs ;)
ASX

Post by ASX »

chromium: it appear there are issues (limited to i386 arch) currently under investigation: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/62000/