Love Me that GhostBSD! :)

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
scubapro25

Love Me that GhostBSD! :)

Post by scubapro25 »

I must say that, after years of unsuccessfully trying to install various versions of BSD Unix, I really like GhostBSD!

Full disclosure: I'm not a 'true' Unix geek, as I know almost NO Unix commands and so, am forced to rely on those versions of BSD which come with GUIs--having come from the world of....ahem....Linux. And, yes: I've tried the others--most notably PCBSD, before it became the hideous monster known as 'TrueOS.' To be fair, PCBSD worked well when it was still known by that name--since it's transformation into 'TrueOS,' I couldn't even get it installed: it crashed halfway through the installation with an 'unknown error.'

So, I'm lovin' GhostBSD, because not only is it a pleasure to install and use--but, it also works with my wireless card--something I had trouble with in those 'other versions' of BSD.

So, chalk up another fan of GhostBSD--looking forward to the upcoming 11.3 version, with a new package management system. :D
Cheers,

Mike
ASX

Re: Love Me that GhostBSD! :)

Post by ASX »

Hi and welcome!

Next version (upcoming in a month or so), will be 11.1, possivly 10.4 too, if we will have enough time to build both.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Welcome to GhostBSD!
Your story closely parallels mine. I also used PC-BSD for a while after leaving Xubuntu. Then I tried TrueOS and I found it buggier and uglier than PC-BSD but at least it's BSD. ;)
I was surprised at the adoption of OpenRC which sped boot up a lot but other than that I was not impressed.
I also had trouble with my wireless card which gave me no trouble at all with GhostBSD.
It also installs very quickly and you don't have to use commands so much which I personally like.
I also can't wait for 11.1 :D
Kernelpanic

Post by Kernelpanic »

I agree with all of you.
I have only a problem with a Dell notebook because it has double video cards (nvidia + ati) that need specific drivers (Bumblebee on Gnu / Linux from where I come from)
But my Sony Vaio works perfectly, so I'm able to learn the power of Unix :D
Ps. I will try with 11.1 version on my damned Dell notebook: lol:
Thanks again for creating GhostBSD ;)
Cheers