Small Gripe

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
ward

Small Gripe

Post by ward »

Hey, all.

I had to switch back to windows. I had a ball in Ghost 10.3 but after receiving no replies to all five of my posts here, when I had an issue with wlan buffers and couldn't connect anymore and couldn't find it anywhere on the web in a Linux Temp FS I just didn't have the patience to try one more time to get support here.

I'm actually staff for this project and have been with you since 2009 so this is very disappointing. I know I'm not the biggest contributor but I'm schizophrenic and my life is very trying and difficult. For me to work more than an hour or two a week is unwise and against the demands of my physician. Here's what I did on Ghost this time and they are awesome. I just use gimp and inkscape and revamped all my old ones to bring them up to release quality: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8k8e ... G1kMG51TlU

I will still do work for the project and consider Eric a personal friend. I'm just hurt, honestly. I'll be back but gonna take some time away from Ghost for a while.

Best to all of you, God bless you and I know we're all busy and our lives are trying.

Your friend and contibuter,
ward
ASX

Re: Small Gripe

Post by ASX »

ward wrote:Hey, all.

I had to switch back to windows. I had a ball in Ghost 10.3 but after receiving no replies to all five of my posts here, when I had an issue with wlan buffers and couldn't connect anymore and couldn't find it anywhere on the web in a Linux Temp FS I just didn't have the patience to try one more time to get support here.
I'm not sure what five posts you are referring too, searchingthe forum I have found few threads authored from you:
MTP: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=498&p=3278#p3278
was actually answered from ericbsd, and unless I missed something look like a solved issue.

Slim Theme: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=629&p=3279#p3279
look like a contribution from you, and it was appreciated even if not answered.

Some Desktop background: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=628&p=3277#p3277
same as above

Conky and Ghost; viewtopic.php?f=76&t=625&p=3274#p3274
again look like a contribution, not like a question.

And finally: Touchpad on HP Elitebook viewtopic.php?f=67&t=627&p=3276#p3276
Personally I didn't answered because I don't own a notebook like your nor have experience, I hoped someone else would have helped you, but apparently no one did. I would suggest to post a similar question on FreeBSD forum eventually, there are more users there, and you may have better luck,
I'm actually staff for this project and have been with you since 2009 so this is very disappointing. I know I'm not the biggest contributor but I'm schizophrenic and my life is very trying and difficult. For me to work more than an hour or two a week is unwise and against the demands of my physician. Here's what I did on Ghost this time and they are awesome. I just use gimp and inkscape and revamped all my old ones to bring them up to release quality: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8k8e ... G1kMG51TlU

I will still do work for the project and consider Eric a personal friend. I'm just hurt, honestly. I'll be back but gonna take some time away from Ghost for a while.

Best to all of you, God bless you and I know we're all busy and our lives are trying.

Your friend and contibuter,
ward
And for being witth us from 2009, I'm afraid but I didn't know you, peraps because I'm here from only two years, anyway you certainly know we are very few, we ll have a life, a job, and we are also busy with GhostBSD related tasks, even if that is not very visible.

And a little jump on the IRC channel from time to time is another way to get in touch immediately. (often, but not always).

Take care.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

Hi ward!

Sorry for not answering; I actually meant to reply to your artwork post, but I got distracted and then the post was not shown as unread anymore and I forgot... You've uploaded some cool wallpapers (I particularly like the "fishBowlNew" one as well as the "oilKeysBlue").

We're currently working on getting new release (11.0) out which is already belated quite a bit and thanks to features like our own package repo and things like that we're really busy right now (internally - it may not look like a lot is happening from an outside perspective). I hope that things will settle down again once 11.0 is finally out... And of course the other factors that you mentioned apply, too: Family matters, job, private life... :|

A pitty that you had to resort to windows! Still I cannot help you with WLAN issues since I'm an all-wired guy. We really need more experienced FreeBSD users here who can help with things like that. But those are hard to find and building a community like GhostBSD is pretty difficult unfortunately. Obviously we need to do better. So thanks for posting this instead of leaving quietly. Even if it's not something we're happy to read, it's valuable feedback.
ward

Post by ward »

No big deal.

I'm not really mad, I'm just bummed I had to shift away from Ghost as my primary OS. I should probably have a dedicated machine but I just don't have the money.

My vision as a contributor (and one time partner or something) in the team is to have a Mac like OS, running the Unix kernel like a Mac with a highly stable, beautiful window manager. I felt like I lost my place in the project when I was voted out arguing for Gnome 3 in 2010 or 11. I'm more into a multimedia and graphically stunning BSD system than is the project. I think it's an awesome nitch we could fill.

I hope you all will consider branding the OS. Just think about how proud people are of their computers. Never does a Mac owner cover up that stupid Apple logo. They buy cases and such with a circle cut out just to show their brand with pride. I don't think we have to be manic about it but I do believe we need to brand so that people who have gone out of the way to install our OS can open up our system at libraries and rest knowing that lookie-loos will see they are super-cool!

I don't so much like the background on the sLim theme I did anymore but the branded login is a winner. I hope we use that on our next release.

Peace,
w
ASX

Post by ASX »

ward wrote: I don't so much like the background on the sLim theme I did anymore but the branded login is a winner. I hope we use that on our next release.

Peace,
w
I agree! Just be patient ... ;)
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Eh Ward sorry that I did not replied before, has I stated in the past, everyone interested to development need to try be involve in the IRC in #ghostbsd-dev is where most discussion are made and in the dev part of the forums.

Before expecting that something of yours get in GhostBSD make sure that it is discussed with the rest of the people in the project.

You have contribute in the pass and you can still contribute, but today communication would be the key and make sure that you are not working on something that someone else could be working.

The Slim them for 11.0 is already settled.
scubapro25

Post by scubapro25 »

Ward:

I'm brand new myself [less than one week] and sorry to hear about your earlier issues here, but I must say, I really like your GhostBSD artwork--keep up the great work!

Mike
Cheers,

Mike
ASX

Post by ASX »

welcome!