Packages Requests for GhostBSD

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
ASX

Re: Packages Requests for GhostBSD

Post by ASX »

Please continue to feed this thread. We need your feedback.

Possibly use the following command to obtain the list of installed packages, that will make easier processing (that is will be done from the machine, and not manually). Thanks!

Code: Select all

pkg query -e '%a==0' '%o' > ~/pkg-list
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

That command doesn't work for me.
Is the command "pkg info" OK?
ASX

Post by ASX »

No, the command is correct, what it does is create a text file pkg-list in your home directory.
Apologies for not being clear.

The list will be in form of origin/package: e.g. www/chromium, and will exclude dependencies.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Found it. Thanks ASX.
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Found it. Thanks ASX.
OK, please attach the file here. ;)
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

To ASX
Is this OK? I'm pretty new to blogs. :oops: In fact this is my first one.
sysutils/android-file-transfer-qt4
audio/asunder
shells/bash
sysutils/brasero
sysutils/catfish
multimedia/cheese
www/chromium
x11-wm/compton
print/cups-filters
print/cups-smb-backend
x11-themes/cursor-dmz-theme
ports-mgmt/dialog4ports
archivers/dpkg
sysutils/e2fsprogs
textproc/en-aspell
textproc/en-hunspell
graphics/epdfview
graphics/evince-lite
audio/exaile
audio/faac
ports-mgmt/fbsdpkgupdate
sysutils/fbsdupdatecheck
www/firefox-i18n
shells/fish
www/flashplayer
x11-fonts/fonts-indic
print/foomatic-db
print/foomatic-db-engine
print/foomatic-db-hpijs
audio/freedesktop-sound-theme
sysutils/fusefs-ext4fuse
sysutils/fusefs-ntfs
sysutils/fusefs-simple-mtpfs
lang/gawk
sysutils/gbi
graphics/gdk-pixbuf
sysutils/ghostbsd-bug-report
sysutils/ghostbsd-grub2-settings
x11-themes/ghostbsd-icons
irc/ghostbsd-irc
x11-themes/ghostbsd-mate-themes
x11/ghostbsd-slim-theme
x11-themes/ghostbsd-wallpapers
devel/git
sysutils/gksu
math/gnome-calculator
security/gnome-keyring
multimedia/gnome-mplayer
graphics/gpicview
sysutils/grub2-efi
sysutils/grub2-pcbsd
audio/gstreamer-plugins-cdaudio
sysutils/gstreamer-plugins-cdio
audio/gstreamer-plugins-cdparanoia
audio/gstreamer-plugins-flac
www/gstreamer-plugins-neon
devel/gstreamer-plugins-soup
audio/gstreamer-plugins-wavpack
multimedia/gstreamer1-libav
graphics/gstreamer1-plugins-aalib
sysutils/gstreamer1-plugins-cdio
audio/gstreamer1-plugins-cdparanoia
audio/gstreamer1-plugins-faad
graphics/gstreamer1-plugins-gl
graphics/gstreamer1-plugins-libcaca
graphics/gstreamer1-plugins-libvisual
audio/gstreamer1-plugins-mad
audio/gstreamer1-plugins-mpg123
graphics/gstreamer1-plugins-openjpeg
graphics/gstreamer1-plugins-png
x11-themes/gtk-murrine-engine
x11-themes/gtk3-unico-engine
irc/hexchat
print/hplip
textproc/intltool
sysutils/inxi
japanese/anthy
japanese/font-takao
japanese/ibus-anthy
japanese/ibus-mozc
japanese/ibus-skk
japanese/skk
japanese/skk-tools
japanese/skkserv
sysutils/k3b-kde4
shells/ksh93
audio/lame
multimedia/libdvdcss
editors/libreoffice
misc/mc
graphics/mesa-demos
www/midori
audio/mpg321
multimedia/mpv
editors/nano
net-mgmt/networkmgr
x11/nvidia-driver
x11/nvidia-settings
x11/nvidia-xconfig
ports-mgmt/octopkg
java/openjdk8
net-im/pidgin
ports-mgmt/pkg
x11-wm/plank
ports-mgmt/portupgrade
audio/pulseaudio
multimedia/py-ffmpeg
devel/py-gobject
misc/py-pexpect
www/py-webkitgtk
misc/qt4-qtconfig
graphics/ristretto
net/rsync
www/seamonkey
graphics/shotwell
x11/slim
multimedia/smplayer
multimedia/smtube
devel/ssft
security/sudo
devel/swig20
devel/swig13
devel/swig30
print/system-config-printer
mail/thunderbird-i18n
x11/trayer
sysutils/udfclient
net/uget
multimedia/umplayer
archivers/unrar
ports-mgmt/update-station
editors/vim
multimedia/webcamd
x11/wmctrl
archivers/xarchiver
devel/xdg-user-dirs
sysutils/xfburn
x11-wm/xfce4
x11/xfce-installed-settings
sysutils/xfce4-battery-plugin
sysutils/xfce4-bsdcpufreq-plugin
x11/xfce4-clipman-plugin
sysutils/xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
x11-clocks/xfce4-datetime-plugin
devel/xfce4-dev-tools
textproc/xfce4-dict-plugin
sysutils/xfce4-diskperf-plugin
sysutils/xfce4-fsguard-plugin
sysutils/xfce4-genmon-plugin
mail/xfce4-mailwatch-plugin
audio/xfce4-mixer
sysutils/xfce4-mount-plugin
sysutils/xfce4-netload-plugin
deskutils/xfce4-notes-plugin
x11/xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin
x11/xfce4-screenshooter-plugin
www/xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin
sysutils/xfce4-systemload-plugin
x11/xfce4-taskmanager
x11-clocks/xfce4-timer-plugin
x11/xfce4-verve-plugin
deskutils/xfce4-volumed
sysutils/xfce4-wavelan-plugin
misc/xfce4-weather-plugin
x11/xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin
deskutils/xfce4-xkb-plugin
x11/xorg
sysutils/xorriso
x11/zenity
shells/zsh
ASX

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:To ASX
Is this OK? I'm pretty new to blogs. :oops: In fact this is my first one.
Yes, thank you!
ASX

Post by ASX »

A quick update about the situation:

In the latest months we have performed a series a tests, and we are glad to announce we are going to provide a large package repository.

There has been some work in background, we performed a few repository builds, updates, rebuilds and so on, to understand if we will be able to provide a full repository, and what will be the problems/requirements we are going to met.

It turned out, as expected, that building packages is indeed a resource hungry process, and after various tests using our only server (the one that is also hosting our website), we decided to acquire a new server to be used exclusively as a package builder.

That *should* allow us to build nearly the whole ports tree, and by nearly I mean all, excluding some selected ports,
in example we will provide several web browsers but not all, several office suites but not all, several C/C++ compilers but not all, and so on. (the software selection is still under discussion, but in general will be something like that).

Additionally, some package will be excluded because extremely specialized, it is the case of a package sized 5GB (yes, you read it correctly) that is an add-on for a chess game.

The plan is to provide *at the very least* weekly updates (and that has more to do with our little manpower than because of the limits of the hardware/ifrastructure.

The new machine should be available in the next days (hours really), we will need to setup a few things, i.e a git repo for ports options that we will explicitly customize for GhostBSD and a few more bits of infrastructure.

There will be a few improvement by builing our own repository:
a) we will always have the sources and the repository in sync.
b) our own ports and the freebsd ports will be merged in a single tree to build the whole repository, that will prevent any possible dependency version mismatch.
c) we (all devs, or anyone) will be able to build our ISOs using exactly the same software, synced to the same source tree, unlike now where the resulting ISO may differ depending on the time of build.

Overall we should obtain a more consistent result, and a more consistent testing phase, that will surely lead to better GhostBSD releases.
Jes

Post by Jes »

Hi:

One question. Could it be possible to go on with the official FreeBSD repositories instead of GhostBSD's?. For example, if I want to upgrade to the next FreeBSD release and avoid depedency problems?

Another question. I'm running currently 10.3. To upgrade to GhostBSD 11.0 when released the best option is using this GhostBSD repository? Or could I use the FreeBSD traditional way ( freebsd-update upgrade -r 11.0-RELEASE) ?

Third question. After upgrade GhostBSD 11.0 with GhostBSD package repository could I turn back to the FreeBSD repository?

My concerns are mainly related to get aligned with freebsd in terms of kernel, packages, ports, etc. I don't understand the trueos way and I would prefer the most orignal freebsd system with the ghostbsd advantages in terms of "usability" out of the box (configs, tools, etc.).

Thanks for all your effort in improving GhostBSD.

Jes
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

Jes wrote:Hi:

One question. Could it be possible to go on with the official FreeBSD repositories instead of GhostBSD's?. For example, if I want to upgrade to the next FreeBSD release and avoid depedency problems?
Short answer: Yes, that's possible.

Long answer: You might want to reconsider this. Technically both the FreeBSD repository and the GhostBSD repository will hold packages for use with pkg, so in general either repo will work. There's a reason however why we went through the effort of planning (and shortly setting up) our own pkg repo: It gives us more control. We will be building from FreeBSD's ports tree - with some changes. One example: We're currently using a package called gksu to allow programs that need it (update station, etc.) to graphically elevate privileges. That package draws in nautilus which draws in tracker - which is a pretty evil package. We want neither. So in the future we would be able to build gksu with port options that differ from the standard port options that FreeBSD uses. This is actually a bad example since we're probably dropping gksu, but since I did some work on this, it's an example that came to my mind first. ;)
We're going to tune some packages so that they are better fit for desktop use. Also our repo will include packages that are not available on the FreeBSD repo since they are GhostBSD specific. This will include configuration settings - so if you choose to go with the FreeBSD repo only, you might be missing fixes that we provide in our repo. Theoretically it's also possible to mix both repos like configuring the system to use both and e.g. give the FreeBSD one precedence over our repo. However this can lead to all sorts of fun pain and chances are good that nobody here would be able to help you (since we certainly won't be running such a configuration and thus cannot support it) if you run into trouble. So I will definitely recommend against doing this.
Another question. I'm running currently 10.3. To upgrade to GhostBSD 11.0 when released the best option is using this GhostBSD repository? Or could I use the FreeBSD traditional way ( freebsd-update upgrade -r 11.0-RELEASE) ?
The base operating system and the third party packages are actually two independent things right now. If you're using vanilla FreeBSD you don't even need to have the package manager (pkg) installed if you want to do the base OS update! For GhostBSD this is of course not possible since we're providing a desktop and applications which come from packages. In the future FreeBSD will switch to what is called "packaged base" and provide the base system as packages, too. Currently however that's two different worlds. You can use freebsd-update and choose either repo afterwards to update your packages.
Third question. After upgrade GhostBSD 11.0 with GhostBSD package repository could I turn back to the FreeBSD repository?
Definitely. You just risk losing GhostBSD specific modifications. This will most likely be unsupported and in case of problems you'll likely be on your own. But to be honest, I have no idea what direction it will take when we can apply our own port options. IMO we should be gentle and only make changes that really make sense. This might change in the future (nobody can say that right now) but as far as I know, GhostBSD has always aimed at remaining as close to FreeBSD as possible. It worked pretty well for a lot of people being "FreeBSD plus a nice GTK+ desktop". We certainly won't adopt the TrueOS way and make extremely invasive changes just because we can(tm). And if we do, so far the idea was to make those things optional (like replacing the init system or things like that).

So if you want a relatively "pure" desktop FreeBSD with some added convenience tools and a graphical means to install, GhostBSD should continue to fit your needs.