Packages Requests for GhostBSD

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
ASX

Packages Requests for GhostBSD

Post by ASX »

As some of you may already know, we are building up our own pkgs repositories, initially there will be a testing phase and we will start rolling out only a subset of the packages available in ports tree.

The repositories will include all packages needed to build our ISOs (MATE and XFCE) and of course a range of additional packages.

We need your feedback to include into repositories the packages you usually add after installing GhostBSD.

This is a call for action, please let us know what you use. Possibly list the additional packages/port you are using by mentioning the name and a very short description.

Thanks!
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Re: Packages Requests for GhostBSD

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Hello ASX Thanks again for GhostBSD! I'm using Enoch Xfce
I install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin. This makes it much easier to search for installed applications. Also catfish.This is a file search utility. I set this up with a custom command in Thunar. For printing I install hplip. To copy files to and from my Android I install android-file-transfer-qt5. For ripping CDs I install asunder. Sometimes I install flashplayer. I install FreeBSD source so I can install the nvidia driver from ports. For videos, I install smplayer. I also install smtube to download YouTube videos. Also brasero to make music cds. Also gnome-calculator. I also install gtk3-unico-engine, gtk-murrine-engine and gdk-pixbuf2 to make the desktop look better with all themes.
Thanks again
ASX

Post by ASX »

thanks for your feedback!
macondo

Post by macondo »

xdgmenumaker
flburn http://flburn.sourceforge.net/
Desktop Celeron with 4 gigs RAM - icewm/jwm/ratpoison - FreeBSD 11.1/GhostBSD 11.1
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

Here are some of mine (rebuilt my system shortly so I most likely don't have everything that I need installed, yet):
  • Audacity - A utility to manipulate audio files
  • Chromium - Open source version of Google's browser (it works less and less reliably on FreeBSD but it makes sense to keep it around when you work with HTML and want to test several browsers)
  • FileZilla - FTP client (I'm used to this one but could probably use any other one, too)
  • Fossil - Distributed version control system (I prefer it over Git because I like its design and features as well an the fact that it's permissively licensed!)
  • Geany - A simple and light-weight IDE
  • Keepassx2 - Password safe utility (too bad that it's Qt based!)
  • Leafpad - Extremely simple text editor (I could live without it but I'm used to have it open as some kind of clipboard thing)
  • Quassel - An IRC client (Qt based, not my choice - need it for work)
  • Sawfish - Very flexible window manager
  • Sylpheed - A light-weight and simple email client
  • Terminator - Terminal emulator that supports splitting etc. (I don't really need it but I'm used to it)
  • Tmux - Terminal multiplexer (Couldn't live without it!)
  • TransmissionGTK - Torrent client
  • Vagrant - Virtual Machine Manager (Makes working with VMs just so confortable - I just wish the Bhyve support was mature!)
  • Virtualbox-ose - Popular hypervisor for x86 VMs (I'd like to replace it with Bhyve on the long run but currently that's unfortunately not yet possible)
Last edited by kraileth on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add more packages
ASX

Post by ASX »

macondo wrote:xdgmenumaker
flburn http://flburn.sourceforge.net/
I'm myself a FLTK user and have done some little utility using FLTK, so I will keep an eye on your request.

But right now we are focusing on softwares already available in FreeBSD ports tree, there will be the time when we will add our own apps either to FreeBSD port tree itself or in our repo but that time is not now.

I for one, need to learn about making FreeBSD ports ... time is limited. Thanks anyway.
Jes

Post by Jes »

I use XFCE and some apps from mate (caja sometimes, atril, and so on)

Agree with kraileth in:

Audacity - A utility to manipulate audio files
Chromium - Open source version of Google's browser (it works less and less reliably on FreeBSD but it makes sense to keep it around when you work with HTML and want to test several browsers)
Virtualbox-ose - Popular hypervisor for x86 VMs (I'd like to replace it with Bhyve on the long run but currently that's unfortunately not yet possible)

My own ones:

dmenu X11 menu application designed for the dwm window manager
quodlibet GTK+-based audio player written in Python
gtk-youtube-viewer GTK Search and play YouTube videos streaming in MPlayer
mpv Free and open-source general-purpose video player
gstreamer1-vaapi GStreamer hardware video decoding via VA-API plug-in
libva-intel-driver VAAPI intel driver
libva-vdpau-driver VDPAU-based backend for VAAPI
vlc-qt4 Qt 4 based multimedia player and streaming server
firefox Web browser based on the browser portion of Mozilla
thunderbird Mozilla Thunderbird is standalone mail and news that stands above
compton Feature-rich compositing window manager for X11
intellij-pycharm IntelliJ PyCharm Community Edition
vim Improved version of the vi editor
mysql56 Client and server
phpMyAdmin Set of PHP-scripts to manage MySQL over the web
nginx Robust and small WWW server
libreoffice Full integrated office productivity suite
amule All-platform eMule p2p client
deluge Bittorrent client using Python, GTK2, and libtorrent-rasterbar
transmission Fast and lightweight QT4 BitTorrent client

Thx
ASX

Post by ASX »

Thanks for your feedback!

compton is already included in our XFCE iso, but it was included by error because XFCE provide its own compositing manager, that's to say it will be removed from next XFCE ISO but will remain available in repository.

BTW, there is no need to list packages already included in our ISOs, (namely firefox, thunderbird, libreoffice, etc) because clearly they will be always available.

Our inquiry is about what do you usually install after installing GhostBSD. ;)
tankist02

Post by tankist02 »

What I usually install after getting FreeBSD desktop with Mate:

rsync (with iconv enabled)
bash
vim
firefox
chromium
thunderbird
audacious
mpv
smplayer
vlc
handbrake
avidemux
amule
pan
transmission
qbittorrent
rawtherapee
darktable
gimp
geeqie

The most annoying problems for me: crashes of Caja and Firefox (presumably because of gvfs) and video tearing (especially with Intel driver).
ASX

Post by ASX »

tankist02 wrote:What I usually install after getting FreeBSD desktop with Mate:
thanks!
The most annoying problems for me: crashes of Caja and Firefox (presumably because of gvfs) and video tearing (especially with Intel driver).
I had firefox crashes in the past, but only when I was using flashplayer add-on.

Lately I'm using qupzilla,which is decent enough (but not fully featured as FF), and it works just fine, except when the system is short of RAM (and under heavy load).