GhostBSD XFCE

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Re: GhostBSD XFCE

Post by NevilleGoddard »

So am I. :D If something's not working 100% it bothers me and I'll spend a lot of time fixing whatever is wrong. :?

If it is a comfort to you my login sound is pretty flaky too. :lol:

I'm not sure how to fix it. Will look into it.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi Neville

When I saw, mysql is loaded AFTER the xfce modules I thought it would be a ressource problem and a priority one!
But as it happens on my other netbook without mysql and compl. Intel tech. too, I m not so sure anymore.
And prob with directory tree is more important at the mom tog. with "firing up" a Mainframe... (well, the latter was a joke) ;)

Best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi there,

any known problems with updates and USB devices at the moment conn. with GhostBSD 10.3?

can t neither mount any USB sticks anymore nor does the update via OctoPkg work anymore...
always get an error that child process 13xx what-so-ever terminated unnormally and than system completely freezes!
any idea where to search for hints as there s nothing in messages and in root always have a xfce-power-manager core dump, but that did not "kill" my whole system in the past...
and what s the best alternative to replace OctoPkg for a complete update of these 262 packages named?
BTW: same with command line pkg update and then upgrade: when it comes to "checking integrity" I get the error: "child process pid=1413 terminated abnormly" and then system freezes for a minute before something can be done...
but every five minutes I get a popup for an available update to RELEASE-p16 and every mount attempt of USB sticks tell me: mount:/dev/adaxxx:operation not supported by device?? would love to know what went wrong there in the past....

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:Hi there,

any known problems with updates and USB devices at the moment conn. with GhostBSD 10.3?
I'm running on 11 right now ..
can t neither mount any USB sticks anymore nor does the update via OctoPkg work anymore...
always get an error that child process 13xx what-so-ever terminated unnormally and than system completely freezes!
any idea where to search for hints as there s nothing in messages and in root always have a xfce-power-manager core dump, but that did not "kill" my whole system in the past...
see below
and what s the best alternative to replace OctoPkg for a complete update of these 262 packages named?
BTW: same with command line pkg update and then upgrade: when it comes to "checking integrity" I get the error: "child process pid=1413 terminated abnormly" and then system freezes for a minute before something can be done...
but every five minutes I get a popup for an available update to RELEASE-p16 and every mount attempt of USB sticks tell me: mount:/dev/adaxxx:operation not supported by device?? would love to know what went wrong there in the past....
a) disable update-station (xfce menu -> settings -> session and startup
b) try a manual update of system and packages:

# open a terminal and:

Code: Select all

su -    # will ask your root password 
freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install
# follow instructions as displayed, i.e. reboot ...etc.
upgrade packages, again open a terminal and:

su -
pkg upgrade # answer yes 
reboot/restart your system

About the USB sticks, be sure module "fuse" is loaded:

kldlist
eventually:

su -
kldload fuse
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

hi mate,

solved USB stick mount-prob myself: this "stupid" gparted on my Rescue-CD always formatted an extended partition; now done on primary partition stick mounts without problems.... argh, little details that kill my splendid mood sometimes... :twisted:

the other one - will check! thx for the fast response my friend!!

best
Achim

BTW: my private mainframe is running under open SuSe Linux now... gosh: even had my first COBOL script, heheheh :ugeek:
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Screenshot_updGhostBSD.png
well, concerning updates:

I did all the above mentioned suggestions already, except for an de-activated update-station, but still same behaviour as can be seen in my screenshot image.
there s still some crash when it comes to "checking integrity" of packages.
and what sounds strange to me:
the popup window suggests an upd on -p16, in pkg update via terminal it says -p17??

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote: there s still some crash when it comes to "checking integrity" of packages.
Hmmm ... is it possible you are running out of mem and/or storage ?
today there is a huge update, due to "quarterly" repository bump.
the popup window suggests an upd on -p16, in pkg update via terminal it says -p17??
This could be a glitch in update-station software:
kernel and userland version may differ, check with:

freebsd-version -u
freebsd-version -k
and kernel version is only updated when kernel is, well, updated.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Errm, yes the latter with kernel upd could ve come to my mind as well. :oops:
And about memory:
Possible, that 1 GB RAM and 100GB harddisk aren t enough? :(

Best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ok, after hours of work managed to add swap space to do upgrade ( it WAS a memory problem) just to get "no screens" on starting X, it sucks now!!!
I want a system I can work with instead of repairing all the time, I had this already a couple of times with Linux!
So what next to get ### Xfce running again (not to think of what else doesn t work anymore)!? :evil:

Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

well,

obviously "easy-to-use" and "stability" are a bit strangers concerning GhostBSD 10.3 after this "quaterly upgrade" procedure!! :(
I did the same thing with two Linux Mint systems this morning, INCL. kernel-upds and dbus-version-upd and their configuration tools worked perfectly well, so it can t be really a hardware problem!
after two days of installing and re-installing I managed to get a working dual-boot with Linux Mint & GhostBSD 10.3 now again with Xfce, network and SWAP partition working but have great fear to start any installation to trap into these xorg-module-problems and dbus-problems again after this major upgrade!
it gives me tens of terminal pages of text where to adjust this and that and that leaves me partially without a clue, a non-functional startx and even manual trial of vesa and diff. resolutions don t work: :?
it always says: couldn t load module "vesa" or "intel" or whatever and that these modules couldn t be found but it seems, the packages are there!

I m now clueless how to continue: should I wait for version 11.0, is there a way to do add. installations surcumventing this p17-upgrade, via command line or does it just start upgrading automatically as with octoPkg? I did NOT want to do but even a single seamonkey-re-installation continued with this p17-upgrade!
therefore I m forced to return to openSuse and Linux Mint for the moment as I don t have a working GhostBSD, at least only in parts...

hope You have some ideas for me. I m not the biggest DAU in terms of installation and scripts as a working mainframe system on my notebook prooves, but now I don t know any further!

best regards
Achim