GhostBSD XFCE

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
hank2000

Re: GhostBSD XFCE

Post by hank2000 »

ok, have to revise my statements about sound and leaving/starting Xfce automatically:
- now with both reboot AND shutdown I get sound every 4th or 5th start, the rest: no sound! :(
so, stays the same with Ghost 10.3 as before...

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:ok, have to revise my statements about sound and leaving/starting Xfce automatically:
- now with both reboot AND shutdown I get sound every 4th or 5th start, the rest: no sound! :(

best
Achim
To me sound like an issue specific to your hardware (possibly related to hw initialization):
try to disguish from cold reboot from hot reboot (i.e. with or without removing power).
I can be wrong, of course, I'm just asking to pay attention to the case eventually.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:
hank2000 wrote:ok, have to revise my statements about sound and leaving/starting Xfce automatically:

best
Achim
To me sound like an issue specific to your hardware (possibly related to hw initialization):
try to disguish from cold reboot from hot reboot (i.e. with or without removing power).
I can be wrong, of course, I'm just asking to pay attention to the case eventually.
Hi mate,

I m on the same "trip" for an answer, guess, You are not too wrong with Your opinion with hardware and initialization processes!
I ll keep a close eye on this and will try to find out what s goin on...
Funny thing is:

it s the same behaviour on both netbooks, 1st, the Asus/Realtek with Ghost 10.3 and 2nd, the Nokia/Intel with 11.0alpha:
Both give sound when cold started or rebooted but almost never give sound when "hot rebootet"!

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi there,

two other issues I only found out today with my GhostBSD 10.3:

- with xfburn as well as Brasero I can only burn iso-images on my ext. USB DVD with my Asus eeePC, every data project ends in a crash with a core dump in my directory--> is 1GB not enough memory for such usage like burning programs?
- also when trying to copy with Thunar, it crashes, or copies only parts, when several directory levels are copied, with Midnight Commander it works perfect on my 10.3, both with USB sticks or HDDs...USB stick is fat32, HDD is NTFS.
also it doesn t matter which USB slot I try, happens on both sides of the netbook!

any idea why this?

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

BTW:

and for MVS/Mainframe with hercules emulator: I ll try the "hard way", from scratch and already half through... :twisted:
best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:Hi there,

two other issues I only found out today with my GhostBSD 10.3:

- with xfburn as well as Brasero I can only burn iso-images on my ext. USB DVD with my Asus eeePC, every data project ends in a crash with a core dump in my directory--> is 1GB not enough memory for such usage like burning programs?
Chance are that you are running out of space on /tmp, if using tmpfs (ramdisk) as /tmp backend.
check your fstab, eventually comment out the tmpfs filesystem, reboot and retry; that way the /tmp will be on the hard disk and not in ram.
- also when trying to copy with Thunar, it crashes, or copies only parts, when several directory levels are copied, with Midnight Commander it works perfect on my 10.3, both with USB sticks or HDDs...USB stick is fat32, HDD is NTFS.
also it doesn t matter which USB slot I try, happens on both sides of the netbook!
This one must be an entirely different thing ... not sure where to start.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Chance are that you are running out of space on /tmp, if using tmpfs (ramdisk) as /tmp backend.
check your fstab, eventually comment out the tmpfs filesystem, reboot and retry; that way the /tmp will be on the hard disk and not in ram.
1) aah yes, see: always good, if someone else has a second view; that didn t come to my mind at all (of course, THEN 1GB with all system stuff is not much)!
will check that! thx a lot!

2) with Thunar is a strange thing indeed!
as I tried again on Linux Mint 17 (rem.: dual boot?) I didn t encounter anything of this, neither USB stick nor USB HDD, neither BIG files or many directory levels...
and with MC copying without problems, I think, something s wrong with that Thunar version OR in combination with MY Asus eeePC!
well, at least I can easily mount the USBs and then copy via MC, which I m used to since early Suse days... ;)

best
Achim

BTW: already managed to build and initialize my 1st own DASD volumes under my MVS system on GhostBSD, slowly, but we get there in the end with a Mainframe on BSD! :geek:
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Ok folks

couldn t find any fstab entry for tempfs and gave burning program a specific and reachable directory for temp. files, no effect!
was wrong with Linux Mint on my Asus netbook and xfburn: it, too crashes when trying any other job than burning an iso-file!
So with both Linux Mint and GhostBSD same problem and there seem to be a serious bug with xfburn and/or Brasero combined with the use of Xfce4!?
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1317125)
This is going in different forumn entries since at least 2014 and the last message I got from the error log was a "segmentation fault" message in connection with xfburn (and error code 2629).
Before that I get an obscure permission missing message but even as user mit su-permission I get this in my OWN home-directory on Linux Mint??
seems there is something strange with xfce and burning and/or temp. saving!

strangely it does not affect my openSuse environment and Xfce 4.10!?

best
Achim
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Have you tried k3b?
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Have you tried k3b?
nope, because these KDE components always want a myriad of libraries which later on cause any trouble I can t feagure out...
I may try as well, it s worth a try!
But strange that SuSe works perfect with both burning progs and GhostBSD/Mint doesn t??
Looks for me like a memory or hardware issue with my Asus netbook, don t You think?

best
Achim