GhostBSD XFCE

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
hank2000

Re: GhostBSD XFCE

Post by hank2000 »

Hi folks,

well, except for this wrong URL with "GhostBSD issues" in the menu I encounter the other following behaviours:

- when mistyping the password in the login window of my Xfce session and retype it it starts the sessions but can only logoff not reboot or shutdown, so have to be careful what typing.
- since about two weeks, when desktop starts, it moves the icons in different hierachy or to different places on the desktop although session was saved for next time. once the basket is in upper corner, or in the middle on left side, then again in lower left corner, where it SHOULD stay and the rest is messed up as well!
I know of that cursor problem with openSuse and Xfce, where cursor suddenly "disappears" but movement is visible, so is Xfce a bit "confused" from time to time, or what?

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:Hi there,

well, it looks pretty much ok now for me with GhostBSD 10.3 and Xfce!
I just found out: there s a menu entry under "system" for reporting GhostBSD errors that leads to an URL, where it says: "address not found" -> issues.ghostbsd.org!
besides that it works pretty well now, but for some internet research or movies I will need my Linux laptop as this Asus netbook screen is too small. ;)
everything else: excellent!!!

best
Achim
Achim, I'm sorry, that's is not an error, simply our server crashed the last night and was rebooted this morning.11:00 UTC.

I'm the bad guy who crashed the server: while building 27000 packages I overloaded it a bit too much :mrgreen:
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:
hank2000 wrote:Hi there,

well, it looks pretty much ok now for me with GhostBSD 10.3 and Xfce!
I just found out: there s a menu entry under "system" for reporting GhostBSD errors that leads to an URL, where it says: "address not found" -> issues.ghostbsd.org!
besides that it works pretty well now, but for some internet research or movies I will need my Linux laptop as this Asus netbook screen is too small. ;)
everything else: excellent!!!

best
Achim
Achim, I'm sorry, that's is not an error, simply our server crashed the last night and was rebooted this morning.11:00 UTC.

I'm the bad guy who crashed the server: while building 27000 packages I overloaded it a bit too much :mrgreen:
well, sorry to say but as for the last four or five weeks, when clicking the menu entry for reporting "GhostBSD errors", it still says:
"DNS address of server 'www.issues.ghostbsd.org' not found"
maybe a wrong link? as its says: "issues.ghostbsd.org/projects/ghostbsd" when comin from the webpage...WITHOUT "www"?
and my icons on Xfce desktop keep garbled every 2nd or 3rd login now, something has changed in settings or saving there...
and another ting I noticed: You have a nice sound when desktop is loaded but this sound also comes only now and then, every 2nd or 3rd login is without sound; is there a connection maybe?

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

nope, does not seem connected! the last two reboots and logins were WITH sound AND right icon order, the last one WITHOUT sound again BUT with right icon order.
but another problem encountered, that I forgot:
what s the best way to mount a NTFS USB-drive on GhostBSD as with normal mount and fuse-ntfs and 'ntfs-3g' as suggested in FreeBSD forums it does not work?
when I take my fat32 sticks it DOES work!
is there a problem with ntfs or maybe USB3 as this HSGT drive has?

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:nope, does not seem connected!
issues.ghostbsd.org is up for me.
but another problem encountered, that I forgot:
what s the best way to mount a NTFS USB-drive on GhostBSD as with normal mount and fuse-ntfs and 'ntfs-3g' as suggested in FreeBSD forums it does not work?
when I take my fat32 sticks it DOES work!
is there a problem with ntfs or maybe USB3 as this HSGT drive has?

best
Achim
for fat32 use smething like:

Code: Select all

mount -t msdosfs /dev/daXyy /mountpoint
I have had some failure sometimes, possibly depending if were using primary or extended partitions.

for NTFS use something like:

kldload fuse
nfts-3g /dev/daXyy /mountproint
sometimes failures, same as above.
ASX

Post by ASX »

when clicking the menu entry for reporting "GhostBSD errors", it still says:
"DNS address of server 'www.issues.ghostbsd.org' not found"
maybe a wrong link? as its says: "issues.ghostbsd.org/projects/ghostbsd" when comin from the webpage...WITHOUT "www"?
indeed, it is a wrong name, thanks for reporting that,
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi ASX
for NTFS use something like:

kldload fuse
nfts-3g /dev/daXyy /mountproint
sometimes failures, same as above.
yep, thx for the hint:
the 'kldload' command told me, fuse already loaded into kernel, but the 'ntfs-3g' command added with '-o rw' and '/dev/xxx /mnt/xxx' DID work, thx a lot!!
that makes "backuping" much faster now! :lol:
and I was wrong taken as I thought I have to put a 'mount' before 'ntfs-3g' - LOL - didn t know it s a separate command (eieieiei :oops: )
still wondering, why there s always an icon mess-up on the desktop, but as long as it is "cosmetically" I can live with that!
tom. some compiling with 11alpha again, but that s another "construction site"!

have a nice weekend!

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ok,

now, that most of the things I tried with 11.0 alpha worked pretty fine and even managed for a working Hercules emulator on Ghost 10.3 tog. with MVS :geek: :
any new ideas for my GhostBSD 10.3 issues tog. with Xfce?

- wrong password tipping causes login to work but only logoff instead of shutdown etc. via slim
- icons in right or wrong place after every 3rd or 4th login on desktop, same with sound with login, it s playing or not...

any hint could help!
the rest works pretty stable now.

have a nice weekend!

best Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

Hi Achim,

as a test, please try to activate slim autologin on 10.3 and see what happens (about sound and shutdown)
remember that to activate autologin you must change /usr/local/etc/slim.com, both default user and autologin.
Additionally your .xinitrc must contatin something like

exec xfce4-session
instead of

exec $1
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi ASX

did as suggested and started into Xfce with default-user and autologin:

- on 10.3 as well as 11alpha the 1st reboot and logout ended with a desktop re-entry and only "logoff" function again but after forced reboot without saved session I was able to get into xfce again AND could choose between the various possibilities to end session.

- then tried several reboots as well as shutdowns and again same behaviour on 10.3 and 11alpha:
the icons now stay the same (BTW: always did on 11alpha, just 10.3 created "chaos") but sound differs, now:
- with reboot: no sound
- with shutdown: always sound so far...
interesting!
well: at least it saved me some typing at login, as I always start with default user and do root-operations seperately via su/sudo on terminal within Xfce. :)
but as long as the "mywebsql directory-tree" problem stays the only problem at the moment I think i can cont. LEARNING instead of repairing now again. ;)
AND:
- with 11aplha I noticed, the "update-station" icon on taskbar has no function; You can update via package manager but not from the taskbar, no reaction!

best
Achim