GhostBSD XFCE

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

GhostBSD XFCE

Post by NevilleGoddard »

First of all, I would like to thank you for GhostBSD. I'm currently using it on a Toshiba Satellite laptop model number A205-S5825 and everything works perfectly. In fact the wireless card works better on GhostBSD than FreeBSD. If I used wireless on FreeBSD with this laptop, it would hang on reboot for some reason. GhostBSD does not. Wireless printing works perfectly, too. Mounting my Android phone works perfectly too. There were a couple of issues that I fixed easlily. The first was I couldn't see the volume sliders on the audio mixer. I fixed this by installing gtk-murrine-engine, gtk3-unico-engine and gdk-pixbuf2 packages. One other "issue" was that video thumbnails did not work. I fixed this by installing the following commands -
pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-faad

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-lame

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-mad

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-mpg123

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-ogg

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-wavpack

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-aalib

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-gl

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-jpeg

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-libcaca

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-libvisual

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-openjpeg

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-png

pkg install gstreamer1

pkg install gstreamer1-libav

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-core

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-good

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-mpeg2dec

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-mpeg2dec

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-ugly

However, you probably don't need all these packages for video thumbnails to work.
I also installed the whisker menu plugin. XFCE is my favourite desktop and the GhostBSD backgrounds and wallpapers are great. I hope I posted this in the right place. Again thank you very much for GhostBSD XFCE. :P
ASX

Re: GhostBSD XFCE

Post by ASX »

NevilleGoddard wrote:First of all, I would like to thank you for GhostBSD. I'm currently using it on a Toshiba Satellite laptop model number A205-S5825 and everything works perfectly.
Hello and welcome!
In fact the wireless card works better on GhostBSD than FreeBSD. If I used wireless on FreeBSD with this laptop, it would hang on reboot for some reason. GhostBSD does not.
Honestly I'm perplexed from report like this, while GhostBSD has a plus over FreeBSD which is the network manager, the hardware support is identical, and I can only think that some sort of misconfiguration was applied in FreeBSD.
Wireless printing works perfectly, too. Mounting my Android phone works perfectly too. There were a couple of issues that I fixed easlily.
Great!
The first was I couldn't see the volume sliders on the audio mixer. I fixed this by installing gtk-murrine-engine, gtk3-unico-engine and gdk-pixbuf2 packages.
As a XFCE user myself I'm surprised here, because I never noticed something like that, yet I did used the mixer from time to time.
One other "issue" was that video thumbnails did not work. I fixed this by installing the following commands -
pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-faad

pkg install gstreamer1-plugins-lame
Thanks for reporting your findings, we will take it into serious consideration.
Just a note about "lame" related plugin: lame itself is not distributed from FreeBSD because is patent encumbered, and its inclusion in future GhostBSD rlease is not sure at 100%, similarly for gstreamer1-plugin-lame which depend on lame.
However, you probably don't need all these packages for video thumbnails to work.
I also installed the whisker menu plugin. XFCE is my favourite desktop and the GhostBSD backgrounds and wallpapers are great. I hope I posted this in the right place. Again thank you very much for GhostBSD XFCE. :P
Thanks for your report, we invite you (and anyone) to subscribe our bug reporting system:
http://issues.ghostbsd.org/projects/ghostbsd/issues
and add your feedback/requests there, that will certainly help us to improve the next release.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi Neville, Eric and ASX

yes, I agree, it s the best combination of stability, performance and good looking GhostBSD & XFCE!
After a couple of addons, for ex. Apache webserver and PHP for admin. my MySQL via Webbrowser and a working Internetradio via Exaile I must say, I will shift 60-70% of my stuff now to GhostBSD and just keep the Email- and some Multimedia-/Streaming-related stuff plus a few games on Linux for reasons conc. plugins and ... well, got used to Seamonkey and its Email-client so much, that works better on my openSuse! (*blush*)
But indeed: well done developers, will continue to spread the word!!

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:... and just keep the Email- and some Multimedia-/Streaming-related stuff plus a few games on Linux for reasons conc. plugins and ... well, got used to Seamonkey and its Email-client so much, that works better on my openSuse! (*blush*)
Hi Achim,

what's wrong with FreeBSD version of Seamonkey ? It is a serious question, let see if we can improve that too.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:
hank2000 wrote:... and just keep the Email- and some Multimedia-/Streaming-related stuff plus a few games on Linux for reasons conc. plugins and ... well, got used to Seamonkey and its Email-client so much, that works better on my openSuse! (*blush*)
Hi Achim,

what's wrong with FreeBSD version of Seamonkey ? It is a serious question, let see if we can improve that too.
oops, now woke up "the wasps" it seems.. ;)
well, I donnow, but it works pretty unstable on my "Enoch", freezes very often and I have to press the cross in upper right corner, where it says: "this application seems to be busy" or nothing at all;
1st thought it might be because of just 1GB of RAM but as I never had these probs with Chromium, maybe it s because it s some Linux-compatible version, that s not 100% BSD native and therefor less stable, or does this sound stupid?
If You need any statistics, give me the right tool and I ll see what I can dig out and post the results via "Pastebin" again, need practise on this anyway.

best
Achim
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Are you using linux-seamonkey or seamonkey? Seamonkey works fine for me.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Are you using linux-seamonkey or seamonkey? Seamonkey works fine for me.
Hi Neville

well, as I wrote above, the linux version of it, but bare with me, this blind mole here overlooked the BSD version it seems! :oops:
or did it come later into the repositories, after I installed Enoch? donnow, maybe my brain sucks at the mom due to my family stuff... :(
I ll let You know, if the BSD version solves my probs (once again!) ...

best
Achim
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Are you using OctoPkg to install applications?
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Are you using OctoPkg to install applications?
Hi Neville,

yes, I do!
maybe I overlooked something but I was sure, there was only the linux-seamonkey when I started!
Now it looks better with stability with native BSD Seamonkey and I m still pretty happy with a boot time of ~32secs compared to 55 with my openSuse! 8-)

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi there,

well, it looks pretty much ok now for me with GhostBSD 10.3 and Xfce!
I just found out: there s a menu entry under "system" for reporting GhostBSD errors that leads to an URL, where it says: "address not found" -> issues.ghostbsd.org!
besides that it works pretty well now, but for some internet research or movies I will need my Linux laptop as this Asus netbook screen is too small. ;)
everything else: excellent!!!

best
Achim