GhostBSD XFCE

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
ASX

Re: GhostBSD XFCE

Post by ASX »

The X problem come from an update of Xorg and other components of the graphics stack.

I agree with you, this is a regression, even if labeled upgrade.
The problem is those things so far are managed upstream, and the same issue apply to FreeBSD users, of course.

The solution depend on what video card are you using, for intel adding "i915kms" to "kld_list=" in /etc/rc.conf seems to solve the issue.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:The X problem come from an update of Xorg and other components of the graphics stack.

I agree with you, this is a regression, even if labeled upgrade.
The problem is those things so far are managed upstream, and the same issue apply to FreeBSD users, of course.

The solution depend on what video card are you using, for intel adding "i915kms" to "kld_list=" in /etc/rc.conf seems to solve the issue.
Hi ASX

well, thank You for Your reply!
right now I try carefully to add some progs via ports selection and will stop then for the moment on GhostBSD as far as it cont. to work.
so I can focus on learning sysadmin from command line and Perl and on Linux cont. with surfing & email and sysadmin on Linux as well.
But yes: it s not only a regression, it s sh** IMHO as Linux Mint has a much better way of dealing with scripts and I don t think it will help to "lure away" plp from Linux to BSD not to speak about Windows to BSD! :(
And I already feared the same reaction on my FreeBSD installation on comp 3, so I did not even think of trying to upgrade there!! ;)
but I guess, with about a dozen installations the last two days I am able to do this dual-boot thing in my sleep now!
except for the "stupid" behaviour of Ghost 10.3 to load only halfway with live CD until a grey background and non-functional panel appears (every 3rd or 4th try works) or it ignores my partitioning and takes the whole disk leaving no space for Mint... argh....
who said: "computers are for people, who don t have enough problems to solve"?? :twisted:

cheers
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ok,

after carefully trying to get everything together that I need on ghostBSD I m stuck again and need help:
to install ANYTHING 'pkg' forced me to upgrade itself which ended in loosing a chance to start any webbrowser because of:
"/usr/local/lib/libdbus-1.so.3: version LIBDBUS_1_3 required by /usr/local/share/chromium/chrome not defined"!?
I tried with Firefox, same behaviour, tried Seamonkey from pkg install, which ended again with trying a major upd, incl. xorg etc. with the mentioned problems, even tried a 48hs (!) compiling of Chrome which ended in an error and 'stop' of compiling, then re-installed 'Chrome' and now THIS message again!
is there a need for a symbolic link, or adjustments somewhere in 'Chrome' or what?
Without ANY browser working it s getting hard to cont. with GhostBSD!
I could live with anything else at the mom, but a working browser is a "must"! :(
any ideas?
I d just like to avoid a complete new installation for the moment, just getting one or two dbus-depending apps working...

best
Achim

P.S. will these stupid upg problems be as well with version 11.0, or could a re-installation, when alpha/beta-status is solved be a good idea to get rid of these "regressions"??
Last edited by hank2000 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

found that in a forum of TrueOS/FreeBSD:
"to keep the system in sync, should never run just "pkg upgrade" should be

sudo pc-updatemanager pkgupgrade"
is THAT, what happend to me (again)?

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:found that in a forum of TrueOS/FreeBSD:

best
Achim
No, please disregard TrueOS instructions, they are specific to TrueOS of course.
About your issue, I'm not sure about what happened, but there is a thing I could suggest: reinstall ALL packages, it seems to me that your system is in a inconsistent state, some package older, some newer ... may be.

Oh, you mentioned about compiling chromium, supposedly from port and supposedly from the "head/latest" port branch, while your packages by default come from the "quarterly" repository.
That is of coure an error, unfortunately the freebsd handbook is not very clear about this aspect.

The command to reinstall all packages is:

Code: Select all

pkg upgrade -f
That should force the reinstallation of all installed packages, in a coherent version.
ASX

Post by ASX »

Btw, I always keep installed on my system at least two browsers, firefox and qupzilla, just in case.
Qupzilla is not full featured as firefox, but good enough 99% of the times, is also relatively light.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:Btw, I always keep installed on my system at least two browsers, firefox and qupzilla, just in case.
Qupzilla is not full featured as firefox, but good enough 99% of the times, is also relatively light.
ok, then the compilation of firefox will surely fail, too I guess...

hmm, I managed to get Midori running as well, so maybe I ll work with this for the moment and try a complete upgrade later on.
I just fear, this will take very long and at the end it may be the same result without working X and menues like before!
But if everything else fails I ll HAVE to, I m afraid... :(
But yeah: You re right: due to my stupid behaviour to agree during mysql installation to upgrade pkg before and two others, there will be inconsistency now of course...

thanks for the advice. hope with version 11 there will be less problems of that kind. I thought it easier with updating than Windows, not the opposite (just rem. that update bug from 2015 where W7 users had their updating in an endless loop...)

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:ok, then the compilation of firefox will surely fail, too I guess...
The compilation of firefox may succeed, but it will be of no use if you choosed to compile from source that are not in sync with the installed packages.
hmm, I managed to get Midori running as well, so maybe I ll work with this for the moment and try a complete upgrade later on.
firefox-ESR is also available in pkgs reposiory.
I just fear, this will take very long and at the end it may be the same result without working X and menues like before!
The prpblem with updates, to my knwoledge are mostly due to Xorg, and the fact they changed part of the "autodetection" behavior, which now fail when previously worked.

Note that this failed autodetection can be worked around, there are a couple of forum threads about that in FreeBSD forum, related to intel graphics and/or radeon graphics.

But if everything else fails I ll HAVE to, I m afraid... :(
what you should do, is try to understand what went wrong, and once you know that the fix usually is easy.
But yeah: You re right: due to my stupid behaviour to agree during mysql installation to upgrade pkg before and two others, there will be inconsistency now of course...
upgrades must always be performed all or nothing.

firefox was update to not use gtk2 anymore (now use gtk3), make sure that gtk-murrine-ensine is installed on your system.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

what you should do, is try to understand what went wrong, and once you know that the fix usually is easy.
that was my big problem with Xorg, to understand.... ;)
upgrades must always be performed all or nothing.
reminds me a Small Faces classic song of that title... LOL
well, I ll try another upgrade and see...

best Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

hank2000 wrote:
found that in a forum of TrueOS/FreeBSD:

No, please disregard TrueOS instructions, they are specific to TrueOS of course.
About your issue, I'm not sure about what happened, but there is a thing I could suggest: reinstall ALL packages, it seems to me that your system is in a inconsistent state, some package older, some newer ... may be.

Oh, you mentioned about compiling chromium, supposedly from port and supposedly from the "head/latest" port branch, while your packages by default come from the "quarterly" repository.
That is of coure an error, unfortunately the freebsd handbook is not very clear about this aspect.
ok,ok, my fault! slap on MY cheek for that... ;)
The command to reinstall all packages is:

Code: Select all
pkg upgrade -f
uffff, first: slap on Your neck for not telling me earlier that! :lol:
desktop works again AND the browsers as well... pfuuuu
then a big hug to You, thanks for clearing this; now I can cont. with everything that matters for me on BSD...

cheers
Achim