GhostBSD XFCE

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
hank2000

Re: GhostBSD XFCE

Post by hank2000 »

NevilleGoddard wrote:MVS 1974????????
1977 was the start mate, but yeah: ### ancient and, it s quite the opposite folks:
MVS runs under Hercules emulator ON BSD, not the other way around! 8-)
but it IS tricky... ready-to-run Turnkey systems are available for Windoze and Linux, but NOT BSD, although a few maniacs got it running on MAC, so I m deeply confused where my error is on Free-/GhostBSD that it does NOT work at a certain stage...
but I m in contact with the maintainer of a great tutorial to build MVS from scratch (at least starting with the orig. IBM tapes) and we ll see, what comin out of this... except for this: there IS a ready to run system called TK4, which starts MVS unattended and You really get a IBM Mainframe system working under Hercules, even on a notebook...unbelievable!!!
But before I get totally "nerdy" with a Mainframe system (what productive use could that mean except for testing?) - I ll stay with max. workstations and Unix or BSD and make my life a BIT easier! LOL
But besides databases and SQL my interest always focused on different systems and I was always fascinated by these gigantic mainframes from thrillers and SF movies from the 70s, with these HUGE terminals and cabinets with turning tapes that covered a whole room! ;)
and without real programmers´ skills, it s a bit of a "white elephant" to do mainframe, really!!

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Wow. That i truly ancient. I wonder how Achim got hold of that. If GhostBSD won't run on it, you can always try OpenBSD. That'll run on just about anything. OpenBSD couldn't handle my laptop's wireless card though. :)
When I was installing it and I got to network configuration it returned the message "HAL status 0"
BTW. I got hold of it via (as usual) a nerdy search for something I needed for BSD, than wikipedia showed me some pics of Unix workstations that led to mainframes and suddenly via the MVS page in german I landed on the mainframe explanation of Wikipedia and found Jay ´ s excellent pages at http://www.jaymoseley.com/hercules/inst ... tarter.htm

just in case, someone want s an "ancient" adventure to start... LOL

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

NevilleGoddard wrote:I don't know what an MVS mainframe is, but I'm guessing it's an old piece of hardware?
MVS is the system, mainframe is the giant of hardware, which needs it to run... LOL
just google for pics of a IBM 3330 and You ll know... ;)

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

OK,

a recent feedback of my "construction sites" over here:

- the "adventure" Mainframe is over! too many errors during installation on GhostBSD with Hercules, where I would need programming skills for JCL & REXX to solve.... so gave up!
- the "burning issue" on Asus netbook will be done by workaround a) iso-images via Brasero, data projects on command line!
- the sound issue on GhostBSD and netbooks stays the same, even with "hot reboot" got 2x sound in a row today but NO sound when "cold reboot".strange!
- the icons are fix now on desktop with automatic login
- with 11alpha I played around with installations, compiling via ports and Office and looks good so far, will wait for the final version there and install on my Nokia.

-> still unresolved for me is: dealing with SQL-databases via web-administration (myWebSQL), where after login mask I 1st get the directory tree in browser after URL http://localhost/xxxx/index.php - when just trying, as on Linux, 'mywebsql' after 'localhost', I get the same directory tree of /mywebsql and clicking on 'index.php' gets me to login mask, same as with 'index.php' right away and THEN directory-tree...
somewhere in between there s a fault, but I m clueless where but gettin rid of Apache is no option as I use it on Linux now for more than 10 ys...
if someone has an add. idea, cool, otherwise have to live with that extra step in login! :roll:

- played around with permissions in directory AND in httpd.conf
- incl. PHP functionality in Apache
- installed newest version of myWebSQL
- user is member of group 'www' and 'wheel', so should be no rights-problem
- server name is on 127.0.0.1 as 'localhost' is not recognized as a "registered DNS name" (?)
- and directory settings for 'mywebsql' are on:
>Options None
>AllowOverride None
>Require all granted
>Allow from all (at the mom)

best
Achim
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Hey, Achim. I've found a multi-session GUI disk burning program in GhostBSD. It's called xorriso-tcltk. It will work but you need to do a couple of steps first.
Install the package bwidget.
Then edit xorriso-tcltk.
Open a terminal login as root and type "ee /usr/local/bin/xorriso-tcltk"
Change the very top line from #! to #!/usr/local/bin/wish8.6
Press esc.
Then as normal user open a terminal and type "xorriso-tcltk" you'll see your (very basic) GUI. ;)

To burn a data CD, DVD or BD put disk in the drive shut the drive then enter "xorriso-tcltk". Then you'll see a dark grey button "Scan for drives" click this and you'll see your drive in a window in the middle of the GUI.
Choose the drive then click the button ""Pick output drive". Then you'll see output related to the blank disk you just put into the drive.
Then notice the button "Insert from disk". To the right of this there is a "/" button. Click this and the file browser window to choose files will appear. Highlight the file(s) you want and then click "accept". If this is the only session and you want to close the disk
and do a single session burn put a tick in the "close" box. To start burn click the "Write ISO session" box. Then it will start the burning process. :D
As I said it's not a pretty looking GUI but it does the job. 8-)

Have you tried to install OpenBSD on the MVS?
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Have you tried to install OpenBSD on the MVS?
Hi mate

a) To clear this now: You can t install OpenBSD on MVS, it s a closed operating system and only for IBM mainframes and emulators of that kind! ;)
but yeah: BSD didn t like MVS or my netbooks don t like it, so tried another one on this Suse Notebook here and til chap. 3 it looks promissing, 2 to go...

b) concerning Your new burning prog suggestion: sounds very promising,too!!
will try, when MVS adventure is through and with tcl it looks much easier to handle than the others, thx a lot for that!!!
will give feedback, when I tested it.
The "cosmetic" probs with 'mywebsql' will have to wait, too, as long as the rest functions well and it s only a connection problem as a 2nd step after login...
c) BTW: the sound while login on GhostBSD 10.3 comes and goes as it likes, now even have MORE sound events when "hot rebooting" than when "cold rebooting" - it s getting stranger and stranger; but maybe: could there be a connection to services starts, as mysql server is started AFTER xfce and pretty close before computer gets into desktop?? maybe that "irritates" the boot/login-process or ressources used for this...

best
Achim
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

If you have no sound how do you fix it?
I have no problems with sound at all. I'm using a PCI-E sound card.
It may be something to do with pulseaudio. :D I remember running Debian and ###ing pulseaudio would always fail but alsa was always fine.

What sound card are you using?

You could perhaps use a USB sound device.

One fairly drastic step you could take if nothing else works is to build a custom kernel and install OSS from ports.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

I HAVE sound, when system and desktop is loaded, it s just when the desktop starts that it sometimes does with sound, but very often withOUT...
and I hate it when certain behaviour isn t reproducable... ;-)
but You re right: it IS pulseaudio! but as long as the rest works, it s just my penetrant search for completeness, that s all! :D

best
Achim
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Oh. Are you talking about the GhostBSD login sound?
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

:D
NevilleGoddard wrote:Oh. Are you talking about the GhostBSD login sound?

Exactly!
I was just wondering about priorities during startup. That s all.
No need for big thing on this, as I said: sometimes am a bit too pushy on details. :oops:

best
Achim