Update

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
hank2000

Re: Update - Dual-boot SOLVED!

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:please try again as follow, from a terminal window:

Code: Select all

su
kldload ext2fs
mount -t ext2fs /dev/ada0s1 /mnt
ls -l /mnt
umount /mnt
same as before: "mount: /dev/ada0s1: operation not supported by device"

I found this blog: http://tiggeron.blogspot.co.at/2014/06/ ... nt-17.html
what do You think, worth a try and what should be the menu entry under:
"Making FreeBSD appear in Grub:..."?
>> what shall I say: it worked!!!
re-installed Linux Mint, searched for bootloader via custom-grub and added the necessary menuentry and (hd0,xxxx) parameters and it works!
Now I have two Mint entries AND my GhostBSD as dual-boot, yippeeee......
best
Achim
Last edited by hank2000 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hank2000

Re: Update

Post by hank2000 »

bootet Linux Mint live CD and was able to find out about 500MB partition: as I expected. an old Fedora boot partition!
is it possible to edit from this live CD my Mint partitions AND include GhostBSD in their GRUB?
otherwise I would leave Ghost alone, re-install Mint and try these steps from the blog...

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

now next will be: 11.0 PREALPHA on USB stick..... ;-)

best Achim
ASX

Re: Update - Dual-boot SOLVED!

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote: Now I have two Mint entries AND my GhostBSD as dual-boot, yippeeee......
Congratulations! ;)
hank2000

Re: Update - 10.3 behaviour

Post by hank2000 »

Hi Eric, ASX

with my last week of company holiday started had some spare time to "play around" with my GhostBSD 10.3 on my Asus eeePC:

1st: tried to install the x264-plugin for gstreamer via "OctoPkg" which caused some depency-probs resulting in de-installing Firefox and LibreOffice for some reasons by this tool (he claimed probs with a language-package by firefox and maybe LibreOffice)?
then I re-installed both without any probs but which resulted in some add. library-installations by "OctoPkg"...
2nd: donnow WHAT was updated in particular via "system update", but with the latest system update I did today (from THIS year?; was done by "update-station" tool) I not only got updated libraries but the "frozen effect" of my system is gone suddenly???
Tried for over an hour to reproduce this "effect" but without success, without apps, with Firefox alone, with OctoPkg AND Firefox running, nothing...
it even looks to me as if for ex. "OctoPkg" is working faster now, fetching infos as well as the installation procedure!
is it possible that any package from LibreOffice and/or Firefox or an older system library caused these delays on my system?
I d love to know more about, what was updated today, but which logfiles or logs in particular cover these update processes?

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

"but which logfiles or logs in particular cover these update processes?"

try;

grep pkg /var/log/messages
good luck, and nice to know your issue look like solved. :)
hank2000

Re: Update - 10.3 behaviour

Post by hank2000 »

Hi there,

cause a lot of stuff was in the wrong part of forum I copied this in here... 8-)
****************************************************************************************

Postby ASX » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:54 am
"hmm ... unless there is a bug (incorrect location of ppd files ...):"
>it def. helped to copy the D120-ppd to the main CUPS-filter directory and choose it manually?
>maybe there IS some misguiding path in there???
check if the following packages are installed on your system:

cups-filters-1.11.4_1 Additional backends, filters and other software for CUPS
gutenprint-cups-5.2.10_3 GutenPrint Printer Driver
epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.6.9 Epson Inkjet Printer Driver (ESC/P-R) for Linux
depending on the printer model, you might need to download the printer filter from Epson website.
well,
no chance for the Epson page, as they only support Windows and Mac, well, at least no hint for a ppd-file (typical :-( )
checked these packages above of course as it works same way as with Linux. 8-)
so, all are there, but I found a gutenprint-D120-ppd-file as gzipped .gz in "/usr/local/share/cups/model/gutenprint/5.2/Global/ and wondering, if this will be found by CUPS or where should I unzip and place it?
tried with the ppd-files directory of CUPS-filters, but it still says when to add printer in CUPS-Web: " could not detect list of printer-filters" or similar message...
and what does "no Error:0" means???

USB-printer issue SOLVED!
it WAS in fact due to unsufficient rights in adding the printer with "system-config-printer"!
calling this tool with root solved this issue of not completing the task! :)

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ok,

as most obstacles are solved I ll return to updating the system and working with GhostBSD 10.3 and use the handbook as certain help! :)
so, we can concentrate on 11.0 and its "challenges" for my Note-/Netbooks... ;-)

best
Achim