Version 11.0

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
dave-570

Version 11.0

Post by dave-570 »

OK, when are you going to start the 11.0 build ?? I have been running FreeBSD 11.0-RC3 for about three weeks now and it's great! So far NO problems at all. I do not have a standard factory built computer, ie, I have built my own and getting things to run right is usually a problem. Version 11.0-RC3 at this point is amazing!! Thanks
ASX

Re: Version 11.0

Post by ASX »

Actually the development of GhostBSD based on 11.x already started ... but it is not the only task we are attending to.
Of course, you will know about the next release as soon as it will be ready.

Here you can see the preliminary roadmap:
http://wiki.ghostbsd.org/index.php?titl ... SD_Roadmap

;)
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi Eric, ASX and dave

with:

"On LInux

dd if=GhostBSD11.0-RELEASE-PREALPHA-20161203-101455-mate-i386.iso of=/dev/sdf bs=1M"
I started a new attempt but when finished, I only get a blinking cursor when booting from the stick on both my testbeds "Nokia booklet 3G" and Asus eee pc!
Any idea what goes wrong?
after copying and hanging out the stick I switched boot order but no start....
what do You need on infos?

best Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:dd if=GhostBSD11.0-RELEASE-PREALPHA-20161203-101455-mate-i386.iso of=/dev/sdf bs=1M"
I started a new attempt but when finished, I only get a blinking cursor when booting from the stick on both my testbeds "Nokia booklet 3G" and Asus eee pc!
Hi Achim,
don't know what goes wrong, images usually works just fine here .... else I would report a bug immediately.

Anyway, I would like to know if FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE .img expose the same problem for you, (the difference being primarily they use FreeBSD loader instead of Grub).
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

I ll let You know my friend!
right now beeing busy re-installing a dual-boot linux/win on my desktop-"oldie" since my Mageia 4 crashed and now isn t able to find Windows anymore AND my wlan!
think I found something even worse than Fedora... LOL

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi there

Tried now different approaches to get a working & bootable stick with both GhostBSD 11.0 and FreeBSD 11 but both versions (iso and img) only show a blinking cursor after choosing "removable USB mass device" at BIOS!
I tried "dd" with and without bs-command and sync=conf and I even tried to pre-format Stick with fat32 and ext4 and then "dd" but all the same: blinking cursor, that s it!
on both machines, the Nokia and the Asus eeePC netbooks.
I ll try another one with the iso burnt on DVD and see what happens; maybe it IS a BIOS problem on these machines...
Nevertheless, on all three machines(my HP notebook, Asus eee and a Duron desktop) I ve got a dual- and one triple-boot system now with alltogether 5 different systems installed!
Two for working, the rest for playing around :mrgreen:
will be on way to Aachen again tomorrow visiting my father, so new experiences not before new year! :/
have a save & healthy transition into 2017 and I ll get back on the 2nd of jan. the latest...

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:Hi there

Tried now different approaches to get a working & bootable stick with both GhostBSD 11.0 and FreeBSD 11 but both versions (iso and img) only show a blinking cursor after choosing "removable USB mass device" at BIOS!
In my experience with a couple of ASUS this is not enough, you need to go into the HDD section and there you should find both your hard disk and the USB stick, and you need to give priority to the USB stick.

After that it should boot from the USB stick.

However, the fact that you get a black screen is puzzling, because what I got when I didn't set the HDD properly was to boot from the HD, so I'm not sure it is only a BIOS serring problem.

Additionally, some ASUS do offer a sort of "fast/smart boot" (don't remeber the exact name) which need to be turned OFF.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi ASX

of course I gave priority to the USB stick/rem. device on both Nokia and Asus eee book. ;-)
but on both machines only get a blinking cursor when starting from stick, on both machines I get a working live-surrounding with the DVD...(only PREALPHA tested).
on both machines can t turn off any S.M.A.R.T technology (which is turned on at boot), only change between "IDE" and "enhanced" and detection of HDD in AMI BIOS is set to "auto" without possibility to change...
even tried to boot from stick with disabled HDD but same effect!
seems I ll have to stick to HDD and CD/DVD as boot mediums to keep goin on my two netbooks...
but at least both 10.3 and 11.0 are loadable/installable!
will see what enhancements are comin with the new 11.0 version of GhostBSD. :)

best
Achim
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

By the way Achim thanks for all the feedback!
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi Eric

You & ASX are always welcomed!
Like that system very much and it brings me the closest to a working "Unix" on a PC. :)
I ll try the BSD version of "dd" in the new year with stick and let You know, otherwise I ll stay with DVD!
And: get well into 2017! You ve got 5 hs or more til then compared to us here in Austria I guess.

cheers
Achim