Version 11.0

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
hank2000

Re: Version 11.0

Post by hank2000 »

oops, forgot Pastebin, next time no screenshot but Pastebin, LOL!
ASX

Post by ASX »

Achim,
your result is typical in case of major version upgrade.

try:

Code: Select all

pkg-static upgrade -f pkg
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:Achim,
your result is typical in case of major version upgrade.

try:

pkg-static upgrade -f pkg
pffuuu, guess I m a bit out of practise on console AND it s a bit different from Linux and its dependencies. ;)
so thanks, pkg working now, so: have to take the pkg-static version then instead?

I try some add. package installations now and will see, how everything works on my testbed: the Nokia booklet 3G with 1GB RAM!
best
Achim
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

hank2000 wrote:pffuuu, guess I m a bit out of practise on console AND it s a bit different from Linux and its dependencies. ;)
so thanks, pkg working now, so: have to take the pkg-static version then instead?
That's because Linux doesn't know the concept of a base system (to which libc belongs but not pkg). If any Linux distro updated glibc/µclibc/musl, they need may need to update a lot of packages at the same time if the new libc version has a changed ABI. If they don't, the system could break horribly. Thanks to FreeBSD developing the userland part of the OS ("world") together in one tree, you're save from this - limited to the FreeBSD userland of course. Third party packages can still break.

Pkg is such a third party package (it may sound strange at first that the package manager is not part of the OS but there are good reasons for it). For those cases there is a version of pkg that's statically linked. It will still work if the dynamically linked pkg doesn't and thus allow you to reinstall a new package of PKG linked against the correct system libraries and thus fix the problem. Once that has happened, you can simply use the normal (dynamic) version of pkg again. No need to continue using the static one.
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:pffuuu, guess I m a bit out of practise on console AND it s a bit different from Linux and its dependencies. ;)

I try some add. package installations now and will see, how everything works on my testbed: the Nokia booklet 3G with 1GB RAM!
best
Achim
After a majior version upgrade you are required to reinstall all pkgs:

pkg upgrade -f
# or:
pkg-static upgrade -f 
that is better described in freebsd handbook:
https://docs.freebsd.org/doc/10.3-RELEA ... pdate.html
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:

best
Achim
After a majior version upgrade you are required to reinstall all pkgs:

pkg upgrade -f
# or:
pkg-static upgrade -f 
that is better described in freebsd handbook:
https://docs.freebsd.org/doc/10.3-RELEA ... pdate.html
which I even bought in paper version to get a better view of it all.

well: I better wait for the next release before doin a major upgrade, otherwise I start again without desktop possibly... :roll:

But now I have to cure my "inattention" while installing:

I wanted my good old "xterm" back and it (pkg) told there would have to be some deleting and re-installing but I didnt quite close read the amount of packages and WHAT packages were involved in this:
when I came back, it deleted the complete Mate-desktop and gdm and now it stops at login after boot and no desktop anymore!
Is there an easy and fast way to restore this or should I just re-install everything? :oops:
(one should read more closely before pressing "yes", I know!)

best
Achim
Last edited by hank2000 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASX

Post by ASX »

Reinstall everything, it will be faster ! ;)
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Just to give a feedback about 11.0, I am working on the final piece to be able to upgrade GhostBSD software properly until we get our repository ready. I will release prealpha4 when l will need everyone to find all the problem that's need to be fixed.

I will let you know when its ready.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:Reinstall everything, it will be faster ! ;)
yep, thought so myself! and next time I ll be more careful with "deleting packages enmasse" hehehe :mrgreen:

will test then again!

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Ok,

completely stuck now!!
First I got installation error "no root partition" although I created a "/" and a swap!
then tried GPT and MBR as well; manually and "auto" - now I always get: "Running umount -f /cdmnt-install" and "umount: /cdmnt-install: not a file system root directory"??
but why did it work before, useless what to try: either "entire disk" or with "partition editor"!
even tried fat32 formatting of whole USB disk to try it "rejuvenated" but no success...

best
Achim