GhostBSD 10.3 pre-RELEASE test report

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
ASX

GhostBSD 10.3 pre-RELEASE test report

Post by ASX »

Test machine: very old Flybook a33, Transmeta Crusoe 1Ghz, 40 GB HD, 512 MB RAM, Radeon R100, - booting from USB.
This machine require booting using ACPI OFF, otherwise it will hang up while booting the kernel.
Live session run slow but all is well.

Noticed that now we are using SLIM, appreciated that! :)
We could change it to autologin, I know it work, and can provide details.

~~~

Installing i386-XFCE, using custom partitioning (MBR + '/' + SWAP) failed with error:
EXITERROR gpart modify -t freebsd -i 1 /dev/ada0

Should be noticed that previously the disk had a similar setup, positioned the cursor on top of "/dev/ada0 - MBR" and clicked on "create" then I choosed "MBR";
then I deleted the two existing partitions ('/' and SWAP) and recreated them. That's what lead to the failure.

@ericbsd, we need to work together on this issue, one step at the time. ;)

Also, the "installtion type and boot loader selection" screen need some minor adjustment, we will discuss about that.

~~~

Due to low memory, I manually killed the 4 "tracker" processes running in background before to start the installation. ;)

~~~

Installing using MBR full disk succeed, it take a while on this very old machine, but once installed it run enough well.
After installation completed, I removed the USB install stick and rebooted, all went fine, including the setting ACPI off,
(which wasn't there on previous releases).

The substitution of gdm with slim also played a role, because gdm was much heavier, that's why I suggested to switch to slim at least for i386 versions, and I'm happy my suggestion has been implemented, along with the removal of "updated-manager" from the live session.

Other minor bugs:
the keyboard selection is not the one selected (guess this is limited to xfce only)
the numlock is on by default (this may be an xfce annoyance too)

This system include a 802.11b / 11Mbit wifi adapter which I didn't cared to test.
The trackpoint work fine (didn't while using Linux).

~~~

While I used such old hardware to perform the test, (as I really test the limits) I highly discourage the real use of such old systems, they are really unusable for desktops these days, it is only nice to know that theoretically it "might" run. :mrgreen:
ASX

Re: GhostBSD 10.3 pre-RELEASE test report

Post by ASX »

ASX wrote:Installing i386-XFCE, using custom partitioning (MBR + '/' + SWAP) failed with error:
EXITERROR gpart modify -t freebsd -i 1 /dev/ada0

Should be noticed that previously the disk had a similar setup, positioned the cursor on top of "/dev/ada0 - MBR" and clicked on "create" then I choosed "MBR";
then I deleted the two existing partitions ('/' and SWAP) and recreated them. That's what lead to the failure.
This has been solved already in 2016-08-27 ISOs