Ghostbsd is Really Good, Forum Search, bxpkg deprecated?

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
leegold

Ghostbsd is Really Good, Forum Search, bxpkg deprecated?

Post by leegold »

Hi,

When I search for bxpkg using the search in the forums page it said: "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: bxpkg." IMO whatever parameter you have set to filter "common" words is set to high. bxpkg should be a valid search IMO.

I'm looking at bxpkg and it seems to be a good GUI app, I like Synaptic in Ubuntu and it also has that good combination of functionality and convenience. I note it's being deprecated. The only problem is the font in too small and not affected by changes in the MATE preferences. So is this bxpkg being included in the next Ghostbsd release or do we just use the CLI at that time?

I have a weird video card/monitor setup on my PC and Linux distros would not work, but Ghostbsd live and the install worked and gave me a simple xorg.config file to work with and to tweak. I appreciate the simplicity.

Ghostbsd is impressive and I will try to make it my default desktop.

- - - - -
bsdkeith

Re: Ghostbsd is Really Good, Forum Search, bxpkg deprecated?

Post by bsdkeith »

Welcome to GhostBSD.
There is no bxpkg any more, but a replacement is being worked on, to work with the FreeBSD new pkg system.
For the moment I think it is CLI only for pkg management. With luck, there will be a GUI for working with pkg in GhostBSD4.0 when it gets released.
Meanwhile RC1 is proving to be very usable, perhaps you would like to have a look at it.
http://www.ghostbsd.org/download-4.0
Linux user since 1999; & now a BSD user.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I am working on both update and software manager which will not be ready for the final release, but I am working to have that done as soon possible.
Prince

Post by Prince »

Hi there, ... for the meantime there are other projects and operating system package management systems you might want to look into. Some might seem irrelevant, yet possesses a feature or a capability that you may wish to reimplement.
Here they are:

1) OBPkg
2) XBPS
3) Capybara Package System
4) Solaris Packaging Tools
5) GAR Solaris Package Build System
6) PKG package management system
7) Universal Package Management System
8) Source Package System
9) Linux Package Release System

Operating Systems that features an interesting packaging system:

1) Shilosh OS
2) Stux
3) Slax
4) EdgeBSD?
Operating Systems that had or may have interesting package management systems
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

We will stay with pkgng because GhostBSD have no man power and money to develop our own Package Manager. The truth is that I am alone on the system build and on the development of new tool for GhostBSD, plus maintaining a software repository will add up more work, I have not much time for GhostBSD lately.
Prince

Post by Prince »

Hi, ..., pkgng, is a fine choice. However, not to deter you from your path, I think pkgsrc ought to be a permanent back end, too, since it's, already, maintained. That's if it's possible to incorporate, both, pkgng and pkgsrc. What I had in mind was that one of the package managers, from the projects above, might have a GUI (front end) that may be of interest to you awhile going forward with pkgng (and hopefully with the inclusion of pkgsrc) as the back end. The purpose would be to increase the variety of software available, not dissimilar to way the DruidBSD project offers an abundance of packages.
bsdkeith

Post by bsdkeith »

I think/agree that ghostBSD should stay as close to FreeBSD as possible whilst making it easy for a newcomer to try it 'live' and then install it.
Linux user since 1999; & now a BSD user.
Prince

Post by Prince »

Hi, ..., my suggestion seems misunderstood. What I am suggesting is not out of keeping with BSD principles.
Pkgsrc is utilized by NetBSD, how does that deviate from BSD? Among the biggest drawbacks in operating systems, today, are the lack of software available. Ways to increase the variety of packages is a good thing. Today's ambitious projects comes equipped with multiple repositories.

Yes, make pkgng the primary repository and make pkgsrc the secondary repository . Allow them to be switchable by tabs, links or other possible means to make it a seamless transition.

I agree, if Bxpkg is bug prone, then it's not a suitable candidate to be a default package manager GUI for GhostBSD. Unreliable is unacceptable. However, the back-end to Bxpkg (pkgsrc) is very instrumental. I don't believe it ought to be abandoned entirely. There are some other packager manager projects to overview. One might find a front-end that has a user friendly way to facilitate the management of two different repositories. Yes, I'm talking the capability to access, both, pkgng and pkgsrc nearly simultaneously. The sole purpose is to increase packages.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Prince
Pkgsrc was the default in FreeBSD and in 10.x pkgng is the default package manager. at one point pkgsrc will be deprecated on FreeBSD and I deprecate pkgsrc in favor of pkgng, with pkgsrc have no way to update software. With pkgng you can update software.

Having those to package manager will cause so much conflict, because the pkgsrc have no software update and pkgng have almost the same repos that the ports have because updating repos is possible with pkgng.

Also it will not give use more packages then the FreeBSD ports with pkgsrc and pkgng, by both are binary created from the FreeBSD ports, pkgsrc will stay the same repos until the new FreeBSD release and the other is constantly updated which make it more appealing.

The thing is pkgsrc was great, but I was always force to follow FreeBSD release and now with pkgng whenever I release GhostBSD It as latest Software from pkgng repos. If a user want to use ports it make more stable for them because having the a 1 month old repos or more from pkgsrc you will have conflict to install ports.

With pkgng you have always the latest software from ports and pkgsrc you have to wait for the next release.
To a user of point of view software updates look more secure then have to wait to the next release.

Not only that GhostBSD will almost become a rolling release when the update manager get done. The base system will be able to be upgrade before the GhostBSD release a new version and all software that have update will be update that mean that if Mate 1.8 see ports the next week mate will be update to 1.8 on GhostBSD.

This why I want to stay with pkgng and the port only.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I am always like to know what people will like to see happen. Sometime I might look not interested, But I always like to see the idea that people come with, it help to focus on the future I am sure with time, I like the feedback. Prince I do not want let you think I am against the idea, the thing is this project need to stay simple, I am the only one who maintain it developing new tool and building release, with my busy work i am impress that this project still going.

I will like to work on GhostBSD full time, But like you can see on the donation page it is not possible, I give the time I can, it might get worst or better, but until something happen. I will keep GhostBSD as simple then I can until users start to care for the developer.