Not ready for prime time

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
dhenzler

Not ready for prime time

Post by dhenzler »

Let me first praise the efforts that have been expended on development. This must be an enormous task with all of the various configurations that can exist. It is an amazing thing to produce an Operating system with all of this capability and have it work. I am assuming the goal was to produce a Desktop environment since all of the gaming and user tools are present. However underlying all of that I was looking for a BSD platform using a ZFS file system that would support MySQL, Apache24, and PHP56. I am interested in WordPress and NextCloud applications and stable Firefox browser.

One of the first things I looked for when booting the LiveDVD was that Caja would see network devices and allow me to see videos and files on other network devices, move content around etc. This worked fine, however after installation of other software Caja lost it's ability to do this. In fact clicking on the "Computer"
"Could not display Computer:///" is what shows on the screen.

I thought this might be a Caja problem, but loading Nemo failed to produce any change. As well I have noted problems with VLC, and once loaded the Gnome Mplayer fails to work as well. Being retired I have a lot of time and so loaded a fresh install on a different hard drive to experiment. VLC failed again, and with the same result of loss of Mplayer. OctoPkg did not warn of incompatibilities, although it did on some PHP content I was trying to load. PHP56-XMLWriter was not available and caused me to not be able to start Nextcloud.

I'm not giving up. Will load a fresh copy and be careful to not make mistakes in loading things I have found to cause incompatibilities. But would appreciate some input on the issues I have expressed.

Regards
Dave
Hecktor

Re: Not ready for prime time

Post by Hecktor »

I'm just curious what made you try GhostBSD instead of FreeBSD?

FreeBSD is pretty simple to setup. If you are getting the apps you want working, that is much more complex than installing a gui in FreeBSD. But it eliminates the extra steps that might cause bugs of a work in progress like GhostBSD.
dhenzler

Post by dhenzler »

I believe the problem came about when I attempted to get cinnamon desktop to run. Apparently it loads a number of additional things which screwed up the works.

My fresh load using only what's available is working flawlessly so far. I saw a flash on the screen about upgrade, but am tongue in cheek about whether to try it or not.

Noticed that phpMyAdmin is NOT available in the Ghost distro... I loaded it but must have done so after a ports update

Still attempting to unravel why the Network is unavailable via Caja. Makes no sense... I don't see ip security anywhere... and no firewall..

Any ideas
dhenzler

Post by dhenzler »

This is a retraction. Was using my GhostBSD drive configuration to troubleshoot a FreeBSD start issue, and got a message on the screen about an update. Installed 167 things, and afterward I attempted to do some of the things that were causing failures in the previous system, and they were operating successfully.

Think FreeBSD needs a lot of work. Right now I am totally pleased with the system of GhostBSD, I have Nextcloud and WordPress operating and am ready to test ZFS against BTRFS for data transfer rates.

Good going on the update. Made a HUGE differene.

Dave Henzler
shoot@ccskeet.com
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi there,

after succesfully getting hands on a HP Compaq desktop with Intel Core i5 proc. I m now looking for a SATA drive which is missing and then will start complete new with a GhostBSD 11 installation. Now havin a working wlan solution I hope I ll get the headset issue resolved as well and start through with everything. wish me luck, now only getting hands on a harddrive will be the main task. :-)

best
Achim
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Nice
dhenzler

Post by dhenzler »

Have had zero problems... loving it. Free BAD needs to get caught up
Casper

Post by Casper »

dhenzler wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:55 pm Have had zero problems... loving it. Free BAD needs to get caught up
Same here. I went to the command line and added pkg install networkmgr, but other than that, I'm having a great time with GhostBSD on my T430. Four thumbs up! :D