Will you drop gnome when mate comes out?

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
quake0

Post by quake0 »

ericbsd
Developer

Re: Will you drop gnome when mate comes out?

Post by ericbsd »

We drop Gnome 2 for Mate, but we might support Gnome 3. Some discussion have start about supporting only one DE, but for the moment nothing will change. Also we are looking to the possibility start develop our own Desktop.
quake0

Post by quake0 »

ericbsd wrote:We drop Gnome 2 for Mate, but we might support Gnome 3. Some discussion have start about supporting only one DE, but for the moment nothing will change. Also we are looking to the possibility start develop our own Desktop.
Will the desktop be made from scratch or will it be a fork of an other desktop? How would this desktop be different from the other 38 desktops I count on distro watch? Also do you ever consider working with current desktop makers to prevent more wasted redundancy in the desktop world. Currently I think the 3 best desktops are lxde, mate, and Cinnamon. I hate xfce, as well as gnome 3, and I hate the idea of always wasting redundant work on making a new desktop or forking an all ready active project. Thats just my two cents.

P.S.
I did not wish to come off rude or ungrateful for all the hard work that has gone into this distro. Some times its easy to sound like an opinionated ### in a forum.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

It will be a fork of Mate for sure. The problem is the Desktop are made for Linux and with more adoption to the systemd we got to be prepare. Most of all the desktop you see in FreeBSD ports are patched, why the are not compatible with FreeBSD Philosophy. The idea is to make a Desktop for BSD only no compatibility with Linux, with a fork launchd for FreeBSD, a new DE for BSD will be welcome I guess. When I talk of Desktop I do not talk of window manager.