Ghost for PPC?

Want to see something new in a future version of GhostBSD? Let us know!

Moderator: Developer

Fencemeister717

Ghost for PPC?

Post by Fencemeister717 »

Just wondering. I, like probably millions of others have an old G3 with Tiger 10.4.11 on it. Which like all other PPC and older OSs Apple has abandoned. I know that FreeBSD and NetBSD have a version for my dinosaur. So I couldn't help but wonder how much effort would be involved in creating a GhostBSD version. I would certainly be willing to sacrifice my machine for the cause, if that would help at all. Dont get me wrong, this is just a brainstorm idea. As I have absolutely no idea what would be involved on the developing end of it.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Ghost for PPC?

Post by ericbsd »

Some code for PPC is already found on the project, but I do not own PPC. Its not so hard to build GhostBSD the only problem is that GhostBSD build system have been made to build GhostBSD on a 64 bit machine.

I will look if I can make it build on PPC system.

I have question, can you try to build MATE on FreeBSD with your machine?
Fencemeister717

Re: Ghost for PPC?

Post by Fencemeister717 »

Hey Eric,
I could certainly try to build MATE on FreeBSD on my G3. But I must warn you that I am technologically retarded. Back in the day when I first started using Linux I would experiment with commands from a Linux for Dummies book for Corel Linux. Since then Linux has gotten so "user friendly" I have become almost as clueless as a full time Windows user. Graphical desktops are now automatic in most distros, eliminating the need to "startx" these days. That said, the last time I tried to run a minimal BSD, it was probably NetBSD or FreeBSD, I couldn't remember how to run any commands or programs to get past the opaque colored blank screen someone dubbed a desktop. But to answer your question, YES, I would be more than willing attempt building MATE on FreeBSD. Of course I will need a crash course to succeed lol. I wasnt aware of the shift to strictly 64 bit in Ghost though. I should have assumed it. Since I did read on Distrowatch a while back that PC-BSD phased out 32 bit. Im not sure if the G3 is 32 or 64 bit. In fact I may need to run Ghost 3.5 live cd before I attempt an upgrade on my Ghost hard drive as I am pretty certain it is 32 bit. Which poses the question, if I upgrade the 32 bit GhostBSD os on my flash drive to 64 bit will it still run when plugged into a 32 computer? Sorry I'm all over the map with topics. The more I read and wrote the more questions came to mind. Darned Red Bull and Ephedrine does it everytime lol :idea: