Installing VirtualBox on GhostBSD

Everything related to Installing and maintaining software.
jstormclouds

Installing VirtualBox on GhostBSD

Post by jstormclouds »

Hi there, Im considering making Ghost my main OS. . Have installed a virtual GhostBSD-10.1-64bit on top of LinuxMint17 host to try it out, and am trying to get VirtualBox to work on virtual GhostBSD guest.

Using OctoPkg i have installed virtualobx-ose and virtualbox-ose-kmod but my main issue is i cant get it to run.

when i try to get it running by typing

Code: Select all

sudo virtualbox
into bash and enter password, i just get the following error message:
Sorry, user jstormclouds is not allowed to execute '/user/local/bin/virtualbox' as root on jud.ghostbsd-pc.home.
I'm guessing it may be something pretty fundamental that i am doing wrong. If anyone can help would be much appreciated. i am new to BSD.

If someone can help me get virtualbox running, on GhostBSD, this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jade

LinuxMint 17.2 (rafaela)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
8GB RAM
ASX

Re: Installing VirtualBox on GhostBSD

Post by ASX »

Hi,
jstormclouds wrote:Hi there, Im considering making Ghost my main OS. . Have installed a virtual GhostBSD-10.1-64bit on top of LinuxMint17 host to try it out, and am trying to get VirtualBox to work on virtual GhostBSD guest.
That will make it a "nested" installation of virtual machines, which is not supported at all from VirtualBox itself.
Also, there is no need to run VirtualBox with root permission.
jstormclouds

Post by jstormclouds »

ok got it working a little - tested with a linux guest using small ova file. linux started installing.
installed using ports (after discovering how to install ports).

Thanks for heads up about Virtualbox not supporting nested.
Anyway will assume Virtualbox otherwise works on GhostBSD when not nested.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

https://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox it is all you need to use VirtualBox on GhostBSD.