libp11-kit

Everything related to Installing and maintaining software.
Edrich

libp11-kit

Post by Edrich »

Yesterday I upgraded my GhostBSD system (# pkg upgrade) and it failed because of a conflict between two versions of Ghostscript (9 vs. 10). I deinstalled Ghostscript 9, which also removed several other packages/programs, and was then able to complete the upgrade. Finally, I reinstalled the packages/programs that disappeared along with Ghostscript.

All appeared to be well except that Evolution now refuses to run:
"ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libp11-kit.so.0: version LIBP11_KIT_1.0 required by /usr/local/lib/libgck-1.so.0 not defined".

# ls -l /usr/local/lib/libp11-kit.so.0* produces
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 19 Nov 19 23:44 /usr/local/lib/libp11-kit.so.0 -> libp11-kit.so.0.3.1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1603136 Nov 19 23:43 /usr/local/lib/libp11-kit.so.0.3.1

# ls -l /usr/local/lib/libgck-1.so.0* produces
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 17 Mar 10 2023 /usr/local/lib/libgck-1.so.0 -> libgck-1.so.0.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 219688 Mar 10 2023 /usr/local/lib/libgck-1.so.0.0.0

# uname -a produces
FreeBSD REP-HP-PC5 13.2-STABLE FreeBSD 13.2-STABLE GENERIC amd64

I've tried deinstalling and reinstalling Evolution but it makes no difference.

I'm new to this forum and still a bit of a novice on Ghost/FreeBSD. Can anyone help me to solve this please and get my Evolution working again?

With thanks in anticipation.
chadbsd

Re: libp11-kit

Post by chadbsd »

It looks like you have a version conflict between the libp11-kit library and the libgck-1 library on your GhostBSD system. The error message you provided suggests that libgck-1 requires a version of libp11-kit that is not available on your system.

To resolve this issue, you can try the following steps:

Update your package repository to make sure you have the latest package information:

sudo pkg update

Try to force the reinstallation of libp11-kit and libgck-1 to ensure they are in sync:

sudo pkg install -f libp11-kit libgck-1

If that doesn't resolve the issue, you may need to identify and uninstall any conflicting packages that depend on the older version of libp11-kit. You can use the following command to find the packages that depend on libp11-kit:

pkg info -r libp11-kit

Then, you can uninstall those packages, upgrade or rebuild them, or find alternative versions that are compatible with the newer libp11-kit version.

Finally, reinstall Evolution:

sudo pkg install evolution

After following these steps, Evolution should hopefully work without the version conflict issue.
Edrich

Re: libp11-kit

Post by Edrich »

Many thanks, chadbsd, for your prompt and helpfully spelt out reply.

I updated the package repository and attempted to force reinstallation of libp11-kit and libgck-1 but that simply returned:
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'libp11-kit' have been found in the repositories
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'libgck-1' have been found in the repositories

I then tried pkg info -r libp11-kit and that returned:
pkg: No package(s) matching libp11-kit

In case libp11-kit is part of something bigger I then tried
# pkg search libp11
which returned:
libp11-0.4.12 Small layer on top of PKCS#11 API
which doesn't look as though there is a version 1 available.

I then tried removing the 'lib' rather than the '-kit':
# whereis p11-kit
p11-kit: /usr/local/bin/p11-kit /usr/local/man/man8/p11-kit.8.gz /usr/ports/security/p11-kit

followed by
# pkg info p11-kit
which returned lots of information, among which was
Shared Libs provided:
libp11-kit.so.0

and # pkg search p11-kit
which returned:
linux-c7-p11-kit-0.23.5_1 Library for loading and enumerating of PKCS#11 modules (Linux CentOS 7.9.2009)
p11-kit-0.25.3 Library for loading and enumerating of PKCS#11 modules

All this seems very self-consistent, but there is no sign of a version 1 in any of it. I really don't know how to proceed from here.