Updating bxpkg to enable package manager.

Everything related to Installing and maintaining software.
JMO

Updating bxpkg to enable package manager.

Post by JMO »

Greetings.

Just installed 3.0 LXDE amd64. I have experience with LXDE on Linux but very little experience with any BSD. I am trying to work "outside-in" so to speak, by looking at the backend through the somewhat familiar window of the LXDE frontend. Anyway ...

Tryng to use the package manager, I get the message

Code: Select all

Your system 9.1-RELEASE is unknown! Try updating bxpkg or supply repository URL with a --repo-site option.
I get the concept that I need to set the repository, and

bxpkg --help
gave me usage for the --repo-site option. No man page for bxpkg that I can find. Can someone tell me, please, how to determine what repo-site should be set? Is there anything else I need to know to make this work? I would be happy to go to the GhostBSD User Handbook and write up the fix once I get it working on my box.

And I don't mean to be rude, but wouldn't it be nicer to the poor n00bs to ship this already configured? No offense meant.

TIA, and

regards,

JMO
JMO

Re: Updating bxpkg to enable package manager.

Post by JMO »

Okay. As it turns out, entering

bxpkg --repo-site ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/ 
will bring up the package manager, which seems to work fine (though see below). It updated and allowed me to install a new package. I did run into the following issues, though.
  • During package installation, every package reported that MD5 authentication failed.
  • Installing claws-mail installed every single claws-mail theme as well. I didn't see any way to remove these from the package manager.
  • I thought the repo that was "set" by bxpkg might be persistent, so I closed the package manager and then reopened it from the panel menu. I got a message saying that I had been granted root privileges for this session. But when I tried using package manager, I got the original "RELEASE unknown!" error. Apparently, the existing package manager can only be run from a root terminal.
  • Most significant IMHO, is that when I rebooted the machine (again, from the panel menu), the machine rebooted into a CLI login. No pretty desktop. I'm sure there's a fix, but at this point we've left "user-friendly" far behind.
Sigh.

You gentlemen have a nice concept, but I think I'll stop back around version 3.3 or so. I've already paid my dues as a beta tester for Mr. Gates, back in the day.

Good luck,

JMO
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Did you read the release news letter? No package is yet build for FreeBSD 9.1. I just learn that FreeBSD 9.1 will not have package at all. That mean GhostBSD 3.0 will not have any package. Plus Bxpkg update don't work. You have broke your GhostBSD system. GhostBSD 3.0 for the first time has been build with ports.
If you want to update or install software in 3.0 you will have to use ports.
shaun21

Post by shaun21 »

The update was working fine for me at the initial stage and comes up with an error at the later stage of installation. I tried to delete the package, re-download it, and install it. Still it is behaving in the same manner. I assume if the package is corrupt or so. http://www.topgunfishingcharters.com/
bsdkeith

Post by bsdkeith »

N.B. FreeBSD 10.0, the latest release, has changed its package manager from pkg to pkg2ng.

This means that a slightly different syntax is used now, so, if you are just coming to Free/GhostBSD, it would be worth your while to use release 4.0 when it has been Beta tested.

If you really want to learn FreeBSD, which is what GhostBSD is, (but set up nicer :D ), you could install FreeBSD 10.0 with an LXDE environment to experiment with.
(Being used to Linux will stand you in good stead when it comes down to the system basics, they are not that different underneath.)
Linux user since 1999; & now a BSD user.