Page 1 of 1

How to update applications and system files?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:38 am
by ernbsd
Good morning!

How to update applications and system files to fix file vulnerabilities with past versions?

The system GhostBSD 11.1 BETA1 for 64 bits, this built on binary packages and tarball packages among other packages of other formats such as zip, because the system is not built by ports? The ports folder contains nothing, such as updating applications or files? The vulnerabilities in the system cannot be corrected.

Re: How to update applications and system files?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:17 am
by ASX
ernbsd wrote:Good morning!

How to update applications and system files to fix file vulnerabilities with past versions?

The system GhostBSD 11.1 BETA1 for 64 bits, this built on binary packages and tarball packages among other packages of other formats such as zip, because the system is not built by ports? The ports folder contains nothing, such as updating applications or files? The vulnerabilities in the system cannot be corrected.


More than a good morning sound much like trolling. I would suggest you to use a more approriate tone, and to inform yourself before asserting the lot of nonsense you wrote above. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Have a nice day.

Re: How to update applications and system files?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:49 pm
by ernbsd
ASX wrote: More than a good morning sound much like trolling. I would suggest you to use a more approriate tone, and to inform yourself before asserting the lot of nonsense you wrote above. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Have a nice day.


What one has to read, just to greet and open a topic sound much like trolling? I just exposed what was seen in the newly installed system, nothing more, any solution?

Re: How to update applications and system files?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:16 am
by kraileth
ernbsd wrote:Good morning!

How to update applications and system files to fix file vulnerabilities with past versions?

The system GhostBSD 11.1 BETA1 for 64 bits, this built on binary packages and tarball packages among other packages of other formats such as zip, because the system is not built by ports? The ports folder contains nothing, such as updating applications or files? The vulnerabilities in the system cannot be corrected.


Took me a while to understand what you could possible mean but here's my take on answering:

I guess that you took a look at the contents of a GhostBSD ISO, namely the "dist" folder. No, usr.uzip is not a Zip file, even though it's also compressed using zlib. Basically it's a compressed disk image. If you're really interested in more details: man 4 geom_uzip.

If you really wonder how the ISOs are updated: They aren't. They are built for each new release and stay how they are afterwards. Should you need a live CD with current software, go and roll a new ISO yourself. It's all open source and you're free to use it as you see fit.

In case you mean updating a freshly installed system (which is a good idea):

Packages: man 8 pkg
Base system: man 8 freebsd-update
Or if you want a tool to do both and in a GUI environment: That's what we have the update-station.

Re: How to update applications and system files?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:38 am
by ASX
kraileth wrote:Took me a while to understand what you could possible mean but here's my take on answering:


You can have a better idea by reading this: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=753&p=5099#p5097

Re: How to update applications and system files?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:20 am
by kraileth
ASX wrote:
kraileth wrote:Took me a while to understand what you could possible mean but here's my take on answering:


You can have a better idea by reading this: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=753&p=5099#p5097


Yeah, maybe I'm wasting my time answering this. However there are potentially a lot more readers on the forums and it doesn't really hurt. Before I even consider becoming part of any community I usually watch the tone there first. From my experience it makes a difference if participants manage to stay polite even in pretty dubious cases and that's what I'm trying to do.