Shutdown option missing after logging out and back in

Help with issues concerning notebooks, laptops and netbooks.
kraileth

Shutdown option missing after logging out and back in

Post by kraileth »

Not sure if this has anything to do with the machine being a laptop or not... I'll post it here, anyways:

I'm using GhostBSD 10.3 MATE. If I log in the first time after a fresh boot using Slim, everything is fine. There's the option to power down the machine in the MATE menu. However if I log out and log in again, that option is missing from the menu and I have to shutdown -p now in my terminal emulator (or press the power button to trigger shutdown).

It doesn't make a difference if I log in as another user or as the same user again. The latter however can lead to the system hanging for a couple of seconds before I get the desktop back.

Here is an example of what /var/log/messages says around the time of logging back in:

Code: Select all

Nov 15 11:28:10 klappi1 kernel: error: [drm:pid0:intel_lvds_enable] *ERROR* timed out waiting for panel to power off
Nov 15 11:28:11 klappi1 kernel: error: [drm:pid0:intel_lvds_enable] *ERROR* timed out waiting for panel to power off
Nov 15 11:28:13 klappi1 kernel: error: [drm:pid5607:intel_lvds_enable] *ERROR* timed out waiting for panel to power off
Nov 15 11:28:13 klappi1 devd: check_clients:  dropping disconnected client
Nov 15 11:28:13 klappi1 kernel: error: [drm:pid5607:gen6_sanitize_pm] *ERROR* Power management discrepancy: GEN6_RP_INTERRUPT_LIMITS expected 16070000, was 16000000
Nov 15 11:28:20 klappi1 mate-session[5610]: WARNING: Unable to find provider '' of required component 'dock'
Nov 15 11:28:23 klappi1 kernel: error: [drm:pid5607:gen6_sanitize_pm] *ERROR* Power management discrepancy: GEN6_RP_INTERRUPT_LIMITS expected 16070000, was 16000000
Nov 15 11:28:46 klappi1 gnome-keyring-daemon[5632]: The PKCS#11 component was already initialized
Nov 15 11:28:47 klappi1 gnome-keyring-daemon[5632]: The Secret Service was already initialized
Nov 15 11:28:47 klappi1 gnome-keyring-daemon[5632]: The SSH agent was already initialized
Nov 15 11:29:09 klappi1 mate-session[5610]: GLib-GObject-WARNING: g_object_get_valist: object class 'UpClient' has no property named 'can-suspend'
Nov 15 11:29:09 klappi1 dbus[1049]: [system] Activating service name='org.mate.SettingsDaemon.DateTimeMechanism' (using servicehelper)
Nov 15 11:29:09 klappi1 dbus[1049]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.mate.SettingsDaemon.DateTimeMechanism'
I guess that the GLib-GObject-WARNING line is probably hinting what's going on here. Does anybody have any idea what's happening and how to solve it (or what to try)?
ASX

Re: Shutdown option missing after logging out and back in

Post by ASX »

Hi,

I had the very same problem a few weeks ago, but in my case was a vbox install. At the tiime I crosschecked with ericbsd, he didn't had any issue, I had it only in that vbox install, and was unable to replicate the issue on real hardware and/or on a second new vbox install.

That issue was quickly forgotten.

Anyway, you could try to upgrade your system, if not already done.
The GLIB-Gobject warning is unrelated in my view, as it refer to "suspend" capability.

Also, may be ericbsd will come out with further suggestions.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

Hi ASX,

at least I'm not the only one then! :lol: And it also looks like it's not laptop related.

I've used the update station right after the installation and thus have a current 10.3 system. I'm currently rebuilding all packages against bleeding edge ports (I basically portmaster -af the system except for the GhostBSD specific packages that are not in the ports tree). I'll report if that helps. If it doesn't, the problem is probably somewhere in the base system and I intend to update to 10-STABLE in that case and then to 11.0-RELEASE if it still doesn't cut it.
ASX

Post by ASX »

kraileth wrote:Hi ASX,

at least I'm not the only one then! :lol: And it also looks like it's not laptop related.
I will retry a new install soon, will see if will be able to replicate the issue.
I've used the update station right after the installation and thus have a current 10.3 system. I'm currently rebuilding all packages against bleeding edge ports (I basically portmaster -af the system except for the GhostBSD specific packages that are not in the ports tree). I'll report if that helps. If it doesn't, the problem is probably somewhere in the base system and I intend to update to 10-STABLE in that case and then to 11.0-RELEASE if it still doesn't cut it.
There is one thing that usually goes out of sight very easily:
FreeBSD and GhostBSD default pkgs repositories are set to "quarterly" (that was introduced upstream in 10.2),
optionally the systems can be configured to use the "latest" repository, so far so good.

ports are always supposed to be the "latest", and they match the "latest" repository, when I have highlighted the problem that the handbook suggest that port and packages can be mixed, the reality turned out to be a little different:

you can mix ports and packages from "latest" repository,
or
you can get ports from svn quarterly branch and mix them with "quarterly" pkgs repo.

My feeling is that FreeeBSD is managing/documenting mixing ports and packages the wrong way.

Additionally, it turned out more than once that either, you don't change any ports pkg option, or you need to rebuild all pkgs, and mixing pkgs and ports is discouraged.

Finally, from my personal experience, I have tried a few tools: portmaster, portupgrade, and synth.
portmaster install also the build dependencies, i.e. pkgs needed only to build a pkg;
portupgrade is cleaner than portmaster, it build the dependencies but will not install them if not needed;
"synth" in my view is the best tool to build pkgs from ports.
"poudriere" compare to "synth", but IMO "synth" is much cleaner and easy to use, and provided with a readable man page.

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/58080/#post-332656
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/58225/#post-333539
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

Ok, I've rebuilt each and every installed program from current ports (except for the GhostBSD specific ones). It didn't make any difference - the problem still persisted. Then I got the source for FreeBSD 10-STABLE, built and installed that. Unfortunately that also didn't solve the problem. I'm currently checking out 11.0 sources and will build world and kernel again to see if that makes any difference. I'll post the result again.

ASX: Yes, the ports vs. package issues are definitely a problem, especially for newcomers. There's a lot of contradictory info out there - from the old days where they said "don't mix at all!" to today's "it's ok to mix now". But I agree with you that this is simplified to a point where things can get messy. I can understand why they made the switch for quaterly but coming from Arch Linux I'm used to a rolling release type of package policy. I prefer to at least use latest (in fact as time permits I like to live on the edge and update from ports to get the latest and greatest stuff even a little bit ahead of the build cluster finishing to recreate the packages).
ASX

Post by ASX »

kraileth wrote:Ok, I've rebuilt each and every installed program from current ports (except for the GhostBSD specific ones). It didn't make any difference - the problem still persisted. Then I got the source for FreeBSD 10-STABLE, built and installed that. Unfortunately that also didn't solve the problem. I'm currently checking out 11.0 sources and will build world and kernel again to see if that makes any difference. I'll post the result again.
please check this post and maybe the whole thread: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/50608/#post-328478
ASX: Yes, the ports vs. package issues are definitely a problem, especially for newcomers. There's a lot of contradictory info out there - from the old days where they said "don't mix at all!" to today's "it's ok to mix now". But I agree with you that this is simplified to a point where things can get messy. I can understand why they made the switch for quaterly but coming from Arch Linux I'm used to a rolling release type of package policy. I prefer to at least use latest (in fact as time permits I like to live on the edge and update from ports to get the latest and greatest stuff even a little bit ahead of the build cluster finishing to recreate the packages).
Fine, I was also using "latest" repo, now I'm building from ports, using synth. (and yes I come from Sabayon and Arch Linux too). :D
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Mthe shutdown options is missing sometimes and it is something to do with the porting of Mate. The problem could be fix if someone would work on porting it full time.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

Thanks for your help! For the record: Upgrading to 11.0 did not help. But the post that ASX linked to solved the problem. Logging back in after logging out still takes quite some time before the desktop is ready. But as far as I can tell, all users can now reliably halt the machine.

I've also confirmed this on a second machine, an old ThinkPad X61s. I installed GhostBSD there and had the same issue when logging out and back in. The same fix (editing several nos to yes in /usr/local/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.consolekit.policy as well as changing ~/.xinitrc) also solved the problem on that laptop!
ASX

Post by ASX »

Great! thanks for your report, hopefully we will be able to add the required fix into the next releases.