WiFi Not Working

Help with setting up network cards, including WiFi cards.
scifidude79

WiFi Not Working

Post by scifidude79 »

This is on GhostBSD 10.1 MATE 64-bit. (the latest .iso)

I've been through the FAQ section and the FreeBSD Handbook section on Wireless Networking and, from what I can tell, my WiFi should be working but it's not. Here's the output from sudo ifconfig | grep -B 3 802.11:

Code: Select all

run0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
	ether 90:94:e4:02:bc:68
	nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g
--
wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	ether 90:94:e4:02:bc:68
	nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
From what I can tell, the system correctly identifies my WiFi Adapter, which is a D-Link DWA 140, version B2. From the looks of that output, I don't need to use a special driver. When I run sudo ifconfig wlan0 up, the adapter turns on because the orange light starts blinking. However, when I run sudo ifconfig wlan0 scan or sudo ifconfig wlan0 up scan, I get no output. It appears to not be finding any of the WiFi networks in range, including the one in this house that I want to connect to.

I know the WiFi adapter works, because I'm using it right now to submit this message in Linux Mint, which I have installed in a dual boot with GhostBSD.

So, does anybody have any idea as to what could be wrong or what I could be doing wrong? Without WiFi, I don't have Internet access on this computer without running a long length of Cat5E from my computer, through the wall, up across the attic, down through another wall, to the cable modem, which I'm not really keen to do at this point in time.
ASX

Re: WiFi Not Working

Post by ASX »

Hi, glad to see you here!

may be firmware is not loaded ? man page says it is required:
if_run_load="YES"
runfw_load="YES"
You can verify by using the following command (similar to Linux's lsmod):

Code: Select all

kldstat
scifidude79

Post by scifidude79 »

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a shot here in a little bit. :)
Soldier

Post by Soldier »

My adapter tp-link tl-wn7200nd will word after this steps. I'm reinstall system with UFS and BSD loader how tell me ASX. After add if_run_load="YES" and runfw_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf. After i check rc.conf for type wlans_run0="wlan0" and ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP". After i use wpa_passphrase. Reboot network and use ifconfig wlan0 up scan. Network start work. Now network auto start every time.

Sorry for my english)
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi folks

although subject is a year old, I experience the same problems with WiFi on an Asus EEE netbook with Atheros chip and GhostBSD 10.1 XFCE.
strange thing is:

1) had four or five installations cause once Dual boot didnt work (still does not, used entire disk now), then last time HAD wifi, did system update which killed my desktop (black screen with only cursor visible) then re-install
2) now reinstall done, with "ifconfig wlan0 up scan" can see my wifis around but with every step from wiki and forum incl. adapting rc.conf with:

and the usual :
cat /etc/rc.conf | grep wlan0
wlans_ath0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
and ifconfig wlan0 up only get "no carrier" and now completely lost what else may be missing or I m doin wrong??

what else should I try except the steps from "Why my WiFi don't work?" FAQ s and this forum tipps in here?
******************************************************************************************************************************

latest update:

1)With atheros AR9285 detected by boot and the message "starting wpa_supplicant" after all the steps from "FAQs" and rc.conf configured and network restarted, I still get "no carrier"???
2) with "ifconfig wlan0 up scan" I still see the Wifi s in my neighbourhood, is there the password mssing for connecting to my router and how was the command/parameter again for THAT??
help pls!

best Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

EDIT by MOD: previous spam deleted.

ouch, sorry, couldn t sense that! well, explains the LATE response on that subject! ;)
well, fits into my current problems with spam on the email front, where my ISP floods me with that at the moment as well...

BTW: will try the change to GhostBSD repos on 10.3 next weekend. didn t find time to try earlier... but good work, that we could switch from FreeBSD!!

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote: BTW: will try the change to GhostBSD repos on 10.3 next weekend. didn t find time to try earlier... but good work, that we could switch from FreeBSD!!
We are building again right now, by the end of week you should find the updated repos. ;)
gbar

Post by gbar »

Hi there,
I'm having an issue with my wi-fi connection.
I can scan a network and connect but if the machie goes to sleep it will disconnect. I can then not-reconnect without rebooting the machine - if i select 'Scan' it can't find anything.

Also what do i need to change so that i don't have to re-enter the password everytime i connect to my home wi-fi?

cheers
gbar
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

I don't have that problem. My machine can go into suspend and resume with the wifi still working.

How have you configured suspend/resume?

What's your wireless card?
gbar

Post by gbar »

Hmmm, thanks for the reply,
Not sure, its a Lenovo X200 laptop.
Today it stayed connected for some reason? not sure if its part of an update?
cheers