How to automount audio cds?

Support for other hardware categories not listed below.
globetrotterdk

How to automount audio cds?

Post by globetrotterdk »

How do I automount audio cds? I have been trying to sort this out for a couple of days on a new GhostBSD install. The CD / DVD drive is USB. Here is the information that I have on the device:

Code: Select all

~> sudo egrep 'ad[0-9]|cd[0-9]' /var/run/dmesg.boot
cd0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus7 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <Slimtype eBAU108  7 L YL0M> Removable CD-ROM SCSI device
cd0: 40.000MB/s transfers
cd0: 278MB (142830 2048 byte sectors)
cd0: quirks=0x10<10_BYTE_ONLY>
I have created a /media/cdrom directory, and there already exists a /cdrom directory, but nothing shows up in either directory, nor in Rhytmbox, when I place a cd in the drive...
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx

I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it. - Groucho Marx
RodMyers

Re: How to automount audio cds?

Post by RodMyers »

audio cd's are never mounted. You just point the player to the device
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

RodMyers wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:39 am audio cd's are never mounted. You just point the player to the device
Which is where? /dev/cd0?

cd0 doesn’t appear anywhere on my system, so how can I point Rhythmbox to it?

chadbsd

Post by chadbsd »

ChatGPT says: "Certainly! In GhostBSD, here are the steps:

1. Insert the USB CDROM drive into one of the USB ports on your system.

2. Open a terminal window or switch to a virtual console.

3. Use the `dmesg` command to view system messages and identify the device name associated with your USB CDROM drive. Look for lines that mention the newly attached USB device. The device name is typically something like `/dev/daX` or `/dev/cdX`, where `X` is a number representing the specific device.

4. Create a directory where you want to mount the CDROM drive. For example, you can create a directory named `cdrom` in the `/mnt` directory:

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom

5. Now, you can mount the USB CDROM drive to the mount point you created using the `mount` command. Replace `/dev/daX` or `/dev/cdX` with the actual device name of your USB CDROM drive and `/mnt/cdrom` with the path to the mount point you created:

sudo mount -t cd9660 /dev/daX /mnt/cdrom

Or if you're using a SCSI CDROM drive:

sudo mount -t cd9660 /dev/cdX /mnt/cdrom

Replace `cd9660` with the appropriate filesystem type if your CDROM uses a different filesystem.

6. Once you're done using the CDROM drive, you can unmount it using the `umount` command:

sudo umount /mnt/cdrom

Remember to replace `/dev/daX` or `/dev/cdX` with the actual device name of your USB CDROM drive and `/mnt/cdrom` with the actual path to the mount point you used. Also, make sure to use `sudo` before the `mount` and `umount` commands to have the necessary permissions to mount and unmount the drive."
chadbsd

Post by chadbsd »

If you have a SATA CD drive connected to your GhostBSD system, the process of mounting it is similar to that of a USB CDROM drive. Here are the steps:

1. First, ensure that your SATA CD drive is properly connected and recognized by your FreeBSD system.

2. Open a terminal window or switch to a virtual console.

3. Use the `dmesg` command to view system messages and identify the device name associated with your SATA CD drive. Look for lines that mention the CD drive. The device name is typically something like `/dev/cdX`, where `X` is a number representing the specific device.

4. Create a directory where you want to mount the CD drive. For example, you can create a directory named `cdrom` in the `/mnt` directory:

sudo mkdir /mnt/cdrom

5. Now, you can mount the SATA CD drive to the mount point you created using the `mount` command. Replace `/dev/cdX` with the actual device name of your SATA CD drive and `/mnt/cdrom` with the path to the mount point you created:

sudo mount -t cd9660 /dev/cdX /mnt/cdrom

Replace `cd9660` with the appropriate filesystem type if your CD uses a different filesystem.

6. Once you're done using the CD drive, you can unmount it using the `umount` command:

sudo umount /mnt/cdrom

Remember to replace `/dev/cdX` with the actual device name of your SATA CD drive and `/mnt/cdrom` with the actual path to the mount point you used. Also, make sure to use `sudo` before the `mount` and `umount` commands to have the necessary permissions to mount and unmount the drive.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

chadbsd wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:46 am ChatGPT says: "Certainly! In GhostBSD, here are the steps:
sudo mount -t cd9660 /dev/daX /mnt/cdrom
As far as I understand, 9660 iso cds are data cds. Audio CDs are apparently completely different... Sooo the question stands. How do I get cd0 to be visible to a desktop wm / de and apps?