Hello from greece !

Have some non-GhostBSD related questions, or want just to chit-chat about anything that is not necessarily related to GhostBSD? This is the forum for you.
chrisfromgreece

Hello from greece !

Post by chrisfromgreece »

I'm new to bsd , i like very much ghostbsd i like the mate environment and the font you use is very beautiful .
I tried to install my printer but it didn't worked , i found that i should install hp-plugin from ports, anyway....
I would like to ask if its possible to install software from linux or compile sources of linux applications.
The most serious problem that i found with ghostbsd is that it doesn't have nice support for my wifi adapters
almost none of my usb wifi adapters works.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Re: Hello from greece !

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Hello and welcome to GhostBSD!
The printer should work. Just install hplip.
Then as root run the command

hp-setup

and follow the instructions.

What kind of wifi adapters do you have? One of them may work. Linux wifi drivers won't do the job on BSD I think.
chrisfromgreece

Post by chrisfromgreece »

Wifi cards support and bluetooth (plus dvb-t usb cards support) are the biggest problems.
I know that bsd is indented to be used on servers and staff and maybe they don't care
about desktop users...

NevilleGoddard wrote:Hello and welcome to GhostBSD!
The printer should work. Just install hplip.
Then as root run the command

hp-setup

and follow the instructions.

What kind of wifi adapters do you have? One of them may work. Linux wifi drivers won't do the job on BSD I think.
tassos

Post by tassos »

Hey Chris!
GhostBSD ain't linux desktop. I am also a linux user and never had any IT studies so I had to read a lot to get my desktop experience in FreeBSD pleasant. GhostBSD obviously cares a lot about desktop users. I hope u soon find ur way around BSD. Take care.