Windows 10 & GhostBSD

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Re: Windows 10 & GhostBSD

Post by NevilleGoddard »

:D :) :mrgreen: :P
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Viel Gluck!
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

argh! 1st problem at the beginning: iso too big, they didn t tell the size.
now trying installation from iso itself on laptop and shrink partition.
wish me luck! ;)

Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:Likely your computer comes without windows media, however, as long as you save your license key xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx you should be able to reinstall windows at any time, and of course while installing it you can configure a smaller partition. Wiindows 10 iso files can be downloaded from the microsoft website.

I can tell you that installing win10 is a much faster process, compared to the previous versions, so don't be afraid to reinstall.

We have removed grub as an install option in the lastest 11.1 ISOs, due to too much troubles getting it working properly with the new setup (mainly zfs ,mirror, raidz, and ufs mirroring).

Setting up a dual boot system may require different steps depending if you system is UEFI enabled or not, also you will need to turn off secure boot, if enabled.

to recap, I would advise you to collect the required info (namely the license key-code), download the required win10 ISO image, eventually prepare a USB stick with the win10 image (you will need a working windows computer to do that), or simply burn the win10 ISO to a DVD, check the BIOS/UEFI settings, and reinstall win10.
While reinstalling, make sure to create a partition smaller than the whole disk, for win10.

When you are ready, post again and we will provide further help.
OK, Windows partition is shrinked and Windows 10 new installed!
120GB for Win10
90GB for /
15GB for /home
10GB for Swap planned but:

Secure Boot is "Enabled" but greyed, and when I change to "Legacy bios" after reboot it says: no boot device found?
is GhostBSD not installable under UEFI and Secure boot and how can I get a Windows 10 bootable under legacy boot?
and should in this case the /-partition be primary or logical?

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:Secure Boot is "Enabled" but greyed, and when I change to "Legacy bios" after reboot it says: no boot device found?
is GhostBSD not installable under UEFI and Secure boot and how can I get a Windows 10 bootable under legacy boot?
and should in this case the /-partition be primary or logical?
Secure boot and UEFI are two separate things, GhostBSD support UEFI, but do not support secure boot.

Of course, if you have installed win10 with secure boot enabled, if you turn it off, windows will not boot.
Guess you need to reinstall windows after disabling secure boot.

As for partitioning, "primary" and "logical" are attribute of MBR partition scheme, while modern system usually use GPT scheme;
"logical" partition has been create to override the original limit of MBR scheme (max 4 partitions), GPT doesn't have this limit and by default allow for 128 partitions. (but a GPT table can be create to support more than 128 partitions).

"Legacy BIOS" usually refer to support for MBR partitioning.

Secure boot is coupled with a GPT scheme, that means, turning on "legacy BIOS" imply "no secure boot".

GhostBSD cannot be installed in a "logical" partition, it require a primary partition (MBR) or a GPT partition.
(however GhostBSD can use its own MBR scheme a divide each primary partition (referred as slice in BSD terms) in 8 sub-partitions.

The partition table will be different, depending on installation: a UEFI install will create a EFI boot partition, a GPT install will create a freebsd-boot partition.

I hope to have been clear, those are a lot of things to digest, if not, please ask.
If you can share with us a link to your machine BIOS/UEFI docs, likely we could be more precise. ;)
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi ASX, folks

yep, sh**, that both worlds don t work at boot, would ve been too easy a task to complete! :-(
ok: 1st have to buy a DL-layer DVD to get this stupid iso burned, then new installation with "legacy boot" and Win 10 without secure boot, then using 2nd primary and other partitions for Ghost!
if the other two are primary partitions as well (Win 10 formatted/part. them that way), does this matter for my /home and /swap partitions under GhostBSD or should I re-partion this 1st?
anyway, won t get any further before monday afternoon when (hopefully) can burn the iso-file on a DL-DVD!
iso-file on USB stick with the "dd" commands or others possible, too?
a bit confused at the mom, but without DL-DVD could start things tomorrow! ;-)

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

Achim,
use a USB stick possibly, the installation is much faster from USB than from a DVD.

Once installed win10, boot from GhostBSD live (without install), and run:

Code: Select all

gpart show -p

and post a picture here, that will give us enough info to proceed.

If it is GPT, there will be no problem, if it is MBR, there will be no problem either, just a different setup. :)
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:Achim,
use a USB stick possibly, the installation is much faster from USB than from a DVD.

Once installed win10, boot from GhostBSD live (without install), and run:

Code: Select all

gpart show -p

and post a picture here, that will give us enough info to proceed.

If it is GPT, there will be no problem, if it is MBR, there will be no problem either, just a different setup. :)
After three days of "###" I m completely lost now:

tried 3 USB sticks with Win10 first, no boot!
today put it on DL-DVD, wrong partition types on "legacy boot" and after deleting whole SSD now and re-partitioning, no Windows 10 installation at all.
Always says: Windows can t be installed on this partition (all of them) cause not the right GPT scheme or s.th.)?
Donnow, if legacy boot is now combined with MBR or GPT type, but after 145€ for nothing (Windows 10 Home iso) I installed Windows 7 Prof. after re-partitioning the disk and worked.
Now I m not sure how to deal with GhostBSD at all and what to look after to see if it s GPT or MBR!?

Laptop starts in "legacy boot" that s all I can say for sure.... :cry:

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ok, last try after W7 installation with Win10 on "legacy boot" then I ll start GhostBSD live and give a screenshot from gpart if nothing goes...

well, I WAS able to start PC in "legacy mode" and install Win10 over Win7!

then I made a screenshot by Handy from Windows disk management and now GhostBSD with "gpart show"!
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

here the screenshots:

looks like MBR to me ;)
but what would be the best way to start Ghost installation now?
ada0s3 (117GB) is the Windows 10 Home installation
ada0s4 (121GB) should become GhostBSD (should split for a swap partition I guess).

best Achim
Attachments
gpart screenshot
gpart screenshot
windows screenshot
windows screenshot