Upgrade from 10.4 to 11.1 : a couple of things

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
Jes

Upgrade from 10.4 to 11.1 : a couple of things

Post by Jes »

I've just finished the upgrade to 11.1 from 10.4 following the freebsd method. I've found a couple of things don't work as expected. Maybe it could be useful for other users or taken into account for ghostbsd new installs.

1) wlan0 doesn't attach to my wifi router. This is because wlan0 device is created (from iwn0) with default option "regdomain FCC". This prevents the wlan0 can connect to some channels (i.e. channel 12 or channel 32). So, at least for users in Europe, this should be added to rc.conf:

Code: Select all

create_args_wlan0="country us regdomain NONE"
Despite I live in Europe I put "country us", but what really makes the trick is "regdomain NONE". Maybe this should be added to new GhostBSD 11.x installs for Europe users.

2) virtualbox in "host-only adapter" mode seems to fail. Host and guest can't talk each other despite of belonging to same network (in my case 192.168.56.0). It's not a firewall problem. In a forum I've seen another virtualbox networking issue and seems to be solved after building "virtualbox-ose-kmod" from ports. I haven't still test it.

VirtualBox performance seems to be ok and Networkmgr seems to work very well too (not much tests indeed).

And finally a small issue with "Update Station". After upgrade to 11.1 "update station" is continuously throwing messages about a 10.4 Release upgrade, but the system is fully upgraded to 11.1. How can I prevent this?

BR

Jes
ASX

Re: Upgrade from 10.4 to 11.1 : a couple of things

Post by ASX »

Jes,

thanks, indeed the regdomain should be setup depending on the country.
Beside the technical difficults setting the proper regdomain is required to not infringe comms regulations in some country.

In Europe however, we should use something like regdomain ETSI, ETSI2 or ETSI3 (see /etc/regdomain.xml for details).
Jes

Post by Jes »

Yes, but if no setup is done, maybe some users, not aware of, could have problems with their wifi setup. They could claim about a ghostbsd/freebsd issue. I did it in a test laptop, but if it were my main system, and no other one was available, I couldn't connect to the internet and find a solution.

This post is only for people to be aware of when they upgrade or make a new install. Yes, everything is well documented and so, but... you have a system working, then upgrade and no connectivity... frustrating.

BR

Jes
ASX

Post by ASX »

Jes wrote:but... you have a system working, then upgrade and no connectivity... frustrating.
I agreee with you and that is why we implemented our repos as "current" and "previous", although that would not cover your issue.

The other feature we are thinking about is "boot environments" but that would imply a mandatory ZFSsetup ... that will come in future, and will provide an instant fallback to a working system.

I'm already running on top of ZFS from some times, and I would not switch back to a traditional fs, too much advantages with ZFS (and some limited drawback too).

The only reason we are not already ZFS only is because we still have a i386 release, but the planned 10.4 and 11.1 will be our latest to support i386 arch.
Jes

Post by Jes »

Yes, using ZFS would be great upgrade GhostBSD cloning your boot environment and go back if something breaks. I don't use ZFS right now because its memory consumption and because UFS2 have better performance. Maybe when I buy a new 16G laptop :D.

I'd rather prefer to be able to choose between UFS2 and ZFS when I install a new system but... if GhostBSD becomes ZFS only, well, it's ok for me. GhostBSD makes easier to deploy a new desktop system working 100% out of the box. Only when you stumble with a problem like the wifi one you start to think : this never happened with debian :D and neither with freebsd 4.x/5.x/6.x...

Thanks for all your work in GhostBSD guys.

Jes