11.1 Alpha Video Driver?

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
frogprince

11.1 Alpha Video Driver?

Post by frogprince »

I am running an nVidia GeForce 210 video card on my BSD system. My GBD 10.3 install showed considerable video response delay and tearing with the default video driver (mesa?), all of which cleared up by installing the nVidia 340 driver. My GBD 11.1 install did not; it was much smoother and quicker, and there was no tearing. But Octopkg does not show the nVidia driver as having been installed. What is the default driver on 11.1?

That's all I need to know, thanks in advance.
Vas you efer in Zinzinnati? Asus F1A75-M, AMD A8-3870 APU, 6 GB DDR3/120 GB SSD, GeForce 210, missing front drive panel just like its owner.
ASX

Re: 11.1 Alpha Video Driver?

Post by ASX »

frogprince wrote:I am running an nVidia GeForce 210 video card on my BSD system. My GBD 10.3 install showed considerable video response delay and tearing with the default video driver (mesa?), all of which cleared up by installing the nVidia 340 driver. My GBD 11.1 install did not; it was much smoother and quicker, and there was no tearing. But Octopkg does not show the nVidia driver as having been installed. What is the default driver on 11.1?

That's all I need to know, thanks in advance.
the driver used for nvidia in ghostbsd 11.1 is "nv", most likely improved over previous versions.
That said, I think that nvidia340 is going to give you better performance but didn't tried myself.
frogprince

Post by frogprince »

Thanks! I'd forgotton about the free and open nvidia driver. It works well.. :D ..but I may test it and report back.
Vas you efer in Zinzinnati? Asus F1A75-M, AMD A8-3870 APU, 6 GB DDR3/120 GB SSD, GeForce 210, missing front drive panel just like its owner.
frogprince

Post by frogprince »

I uninstalled nv, and then installed nvidia-driver-340, nvidia-settings, and nvidia-xconfig. /boot/loader.conf did not contain:

Code: Select all

"nvidia_load=YES"
so that remained the same. However, I did have to open as root /etc/rc.conf and add:

kld_list="nvidia"
I then ran as root:

nvidia-xconfig
rebooted, and voila! the nvidia driver was running. It was obvious; the fonts were a
bit smaller and sharper, and although nv was no laggard, the OEM driver was
snappier and the overall system more responsive.

Just an fyi for whoever might be interested.