Port USB 3.0 from the DragonflyBSD Project

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
Prince

Port USB 3.0 from the DragonflyBSD Project

Post by Prince »

These are modern times, and I think this would be a welcome edition to the features of GhostBSD, sometime in the future.
ASX

Re: Port USB 3.0 from the DragonflyBSD Project

Post by ASX »

Thanks!
I really can't understand how GhostBSD worked until now without your "great" ideas!
Prince

Post by Prince »

I think many who had visited, here, contributed to GhostBSD. If my request is not a good suggestion, at this time, I rather that be stated. I did not imply that GhostBSD would somehow be handicapped without me. All projects and distros move forward, nevertheless. I mentioned that I thought I made some pretty good suggestions. Every forum has people that make good suggestions. Oftentimes, when you make good suggestions, I am ever thankful and grateful.
Last edited by Prince on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASX

Post by ASX »

Prince wrote:I think many who visits here, contributes to GhostBSD. If my request is not a good suggestion at this time, I rather that be stated. I did not imply that GhostBSD will be handicapped without me. All projects and distros move forward, nevertheless. I mentioned that I thought I made some pretty good suggestions. Every forum has that make good suggestions. Oftentimes, when you make good suggestions, I am ever thankful and grateful.
I'm sorry, but lately I feel oppressed from suggestions coming out of nowhere, but .. and that is the point ... without any consideration about "support".

Many people do not realize that beside "building" a couple GhostBSD ISO with some software assortment, we are committed to provide support to our user. That imply performing proper implementation, testing, provide up to date docs up to answer forum request and possibly help userd to solve their own problem.

Now, the init argument has been an hot topic in the latest days ... I will not repeat here what I have already written in the others thread, but the fact is quite simple: we aren't enough developers to afford such type of changes, also none of us is a kernel or driver developer, so far. We rely upon FreeBSD, and it was our explicit choice to be as much compatible as possible with FreeBSD, that choice imply something good and also some limitation about what we can do.

Hope that sound reasonable.
Prince

Post by Prince »

I like that quite a lot. I ought to make that suggestion to FreeBSD.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I should also add that we are a FreeBSD ditro and not BSD distro, there is nothing compatibility in GhostBSD to other BSD. FreeBSD is our Base not any other BSD and any implementation that is from other BSD system will be difficult and time consuming and there is some week that I can't put anytime on GhostBSD and when it come to the base there is know one here that qualify to do that task. Sure one day we might start to develop our on base system, but I can see that before that this project become as popular then FreeBSD.
RobynMinor

Post by RobynMinor »

Bugs in the firmware of a USB enclosure have been known to happen. Sometimes it's an off-by-one error on the disk capacity. There are some enclosures that use on-disk metadata, and hide that area by subtracting it from the total capacity. Depending on the bug, it could help to partition the drive only after it is in the enclosure.