GhostBSD and OpenRC

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Re: GhostBSD and OpenRC

Post by NevilleGoddard »

ASX wrote:kraileth, (and all concerned with boot time):
you may want to consider the purchase of an SSD disk, they start to be quite cheap, and will be considerably cheaper in the near future. ;)
You're right ASX! A 120gb ssd with a 3 year warranty is only $60. :lol:
Prince

Post by Prince »

In terms of reliability and data integrity, SSDs are difficult to trust. Their controllers leave much to be desired. They get slower over time. Even the manufacturers have, drastically, reduced support from 5 to 3 years and declining. If it is not an SLC SSD, to me, it is a waste of money. I rather get a 7,200 rpm Western Digital hard drive or a hybrid drive. It would be nice if it came in a SLC hybrid drive. I know I had mentioned this long ago, that the fastest booting BSD of all time was DesktopBSD. I think it deserves careful study. Boot time was not an issue and this system was developed long ago. Its initialization process was no joke. A further look into the services it started would not be out of keeping. There was hardly any pauses in its startup process. Naturally, a lighter desktop environment would make a difference, too.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

l have been using ssd for a while an I will not go back to hars drive that is for sure and the degradation of ssd is so slow that you will not notice it in tne years.
ASX

Post by ASX »

This post is rather informative:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/59446/#post-340952

"I hope this helps to clear up some of the talk about *why* we moved to OpenRC for TrueOS. My personal hope is that we are "battle-testing" it for FreeBSD right now on TrueOS and that we can help spearhead this for including it in FreeBSD for version 13+ or something."

Great, and thanks for battle-testing, see you later ... around FreeBSD 13 or so.
Prince

Post by Prince »

Hello there. I only saw SLCs as a true replacement for a hard drive. I, secretly, like Sandisk and Plextors way of doing things and the hybrids are looking more attractive. Until the storage space vs price ratio balance out more, I think it would be good to give the Western Digital drives a chance. For the desktops, the 10, 000 RPM Veloci Raptors. For the laptops, the PLX series may be the ultimate in sheer access speed for a hard drive. This is, predominantly, for those who must keep a t least a 1 Terabyte storage space at minimum cost awhile attaining decent performance.
Last edited by Prince on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

To kraileth
I just gave openrc a try in my laptop with Enoch XFCE. This is what I did. I downloaded openrc-master.zip. I unzipped it and installed it with the command "gmake install". It seemed to install with no errors. I rebooted and slim wouldn't start so I had to do a "command prompt" login. Then xfce wouldn't start so I had to run "startxfce4" and I got to the desktop. I couldn't get onto the internet. I had to click the network icon on the xfce4 panel and run as root "dhclient wlan0" and then I got internet access. So I suppose networkmgr and dhcp weren't started by openrc by default. Same goes for xfce4 and slim. I tried to fix these problems using Gentoo and Arch forums and also TrueOS forums but no luck. I also noticed that the restart and shutdown buttons were greyed out so I had to shutdown with the terminal.
Boot up times under openrc were only 7 seconds faster. Under the BSD init system boot time (pressing power button to getting to desktop) was 1 minute 25 seconds (including 15 second bios time). Under openrc it was 1 minute 18 seconds. The openrc time is not counting the extra time needed to enter the command "startxfce4". So it was a little faster with openrc. It's an old computer with an Intel Pentium dual-core that used to have Vista on it. The hard drive is an Hitachi platter drive. Interestingly TrueOS boot time is pretty close to the GhostBSD (without openrc) time
Under TrueOS, openrc kicks in at a much earlier time in the boot process, right after the TrueOS "spalsh screen" or loader logo. Under openrc-master which I installed, openrc starts much later, after about 70% of the boot process. Someone with much more knowledge and expertise with openrc could no doubt fix all these problems but I couldn't get anywhere. :shock:
I think I'll get an ssd and forget about running openrc for a while. I still have openrc installed and I'm happy to listen to suggestions on how to fix the various problems.
Prince

Post by Prince »

From my personal experience, and I have proven this to my computer teacher, oftentimes, an AMD based CPUs have booted way faster than Intel based CPUs. It's just a mere fact. Facts doesn't always equate to truth. Before attorneys, there is but so much one is allowed to say. Facts + Evidence = Truth. It all depends on configurations of macines, BIOS, and hardware. Think about it. AMD brought us into the modern computing era. Multi core CPUs are courtesy of AMD. Coreboot would not be possible without an AMD programmer. That's right, Intel have 10x more money, yet AMD have better programmers. I invite anyone before contesting these facts, to do their research, first. If you are into marketing hype, you are more than welcome. Recall the days of Sparc and RISC was trending predominantly for servers? The AMD 2900 and family was the apex of CPUs. Too bad, most developers been misled into supporting the more inefficent and poorly coded x86 platform. That is how AMD followed the path into reinventing a wheel in a world where Intel were masters. x86 with the strong arm of money and politics, ended up with more support. The same case with Microsoft Windows, the higher maintenance operating system (NTFS vs PFS or UFS2) , and file system ended up with more support. Developers have targeted the Windows Desktop and the x86 platform, because it has the market share rather than because of any intrinsic qualities. Make no mistake, these two companies have single handedly held back the progress of computers and computing. Money, power and influence, does not equate to what it takes, nor the handle or abilty to carry the mantle. It is even known by Debian's developers (same responsible for KFreeBSD) that their AMD binaries offers a superior quality code to their Intel offererings. That is unanimous among developers. AMD always been enthusiastic of optimized boot times. If in disbelief, try an AMD A12 or FX9830P APU.
Last edited by Prince on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ASX

Post by ASX »

Prince wrote:From my personal experience, and I have proven this to my computer teacher, oftentimes, an AMD based CPUs have booted way faster than Intel based CPUs. It's just a mere fact.
Your personal experience is just what it is, and doesn't automatically translate to a mere fact.
Beside that, your affirmation is simply ridiculous.
The same case with Microsoft Windows, the inferior operating system
Typical fanboys statement.
Like Trump, they got the money...
I'm warning you here, we will not tolerate flaming post of any sort, one thing is discussing technical arguments another, entirely against our forum rules, is pulling in political arguments and even worst politicians names.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

NevilleGoddard to make openrc work properly you will need to rewrite lots ports, this what TrueOS is doing, Kris said that in BSDNow 2 week ago. There is part of the system that does need to be adapt to open rc to.

This is why me and ASX we are not crazy about changing of init, if at less we had fundimg to work full time on GhostBSD thos would be an other story.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

OK, ericbsd I understand. I was installing openrc mainly for research purposes. I should have made that clear in the post. I'll leave openrc installed on the laptop for about a week to perhaps look into it further, but I have no strong desire to see openrc or anything else as an init system for GhostBSD. Thanks for all that you and ASX and the other devs do for GhostBSD.