"freebsd-update upgrade" and GhostBSD

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
vaisarger

"freebsd-update upgrade" and GhostBSD

Post by vaisarger »

Hi!
Sorry if this question is obvious, but for me is still unclear... :oops:

My freebsd-version is: 10.2-RELEASE-p25.
I'm considering to upgrade to 10.3 through "freebsd-update upgrade" command.

My doubt/question: what does that command exactly upgrade, only related to GhostBSD? Does it upgrade my GhostBSD (not FreeBSD, I know it does upgrade)? (I mean all customisation, settings, closely related to GhostBSD).
...my guess is that so far the only way to really upgrade GhostBSD (not FreeBSD) is through DVD... is it correct?

An other question on "freebsd-update upgrade":
Since mother distribution (FreeBSD) is to version 11.X, is it convenient directly upgrade to this major version?
ASX

Re: "freebsd-update upgrade" and GhostBSD

Post by ASX »

vaisarger wrote:Hi!
Sorry if this question is obvious, but for me is still unclear... :oops:
Hi and welcome!
My freebsd-version is: 10.2-RELEASE-p25.
I'm considering to upgrade to 10.3 through "freebsd-update upgrade" command.
go! no preoblem with that upgrade.
My doubt/question: what does that command exactly upgrade, only related to GhostBSD? Does it upgrade my GhostBSD (not FreeBSD, I know it does upgrade)? (I mean all customisation, settings, closely related to GhostBSD).
...my guess is that so far the only way to really upgrade GhostBSD (not FreeBSD) is through DVD... is it correct?
With some rare exception, user settings are not touched at all from freebsd-upgrade, additionally GhostBSD specific packages aren't updated at all. (we are working on establishing our own pkgs repo, but we are not there yet).
Upgrade from DVD is also not supported from GhostBSD, that leave only one choice to upgrade GhostBSD packages:
download them from out github repo, build the port and install.

An other question on "freebsd-update upgrade":
Since mother distribution (FreeBSD) is to version 11.X, is it convenient directly upgrade to this major version?
Upgrade to 11.x has been problematic upstream in FreeBSD, as a minimum I would suggest to upgrade to 10.3 first and to 11.x later.
vaisarger

Post by vaisarger »

Many thanks ASX for replay... fog is starting to disappear... :oops:

So is correct procedure to upgrade GhostBSD like so?
#freebsd-update fetch install
#freebsd-update -r 10.X upgrade
#github...
#cd /usr/ports/path to ghostbsd customizations
#make install clean
???

Suggestion: why don't you specify this procedure in Enoch release announcement, for old GhostBSD users?
vaisarger

Post by vaisarger »

Ehr... maybe this last question I should ask to Eric... :-P
;-)
ASX

Post by ASX »

vaisarger wrote:Many thanks ASX for replay... fog is starting to disappear... :oops:

So is correct procedure to upgrade GhostBSD like so?
#freebsd-update fetch install
#freebsd-update -r 10.X upgrade
#github...
#cd /usr/ports/path to ghostbsd customizations
#make install clean
???

Suggestion: why don't you specify this procedure in Enoch release announcement, for old GhostBSD users?
Hehehe ... thanks ... you are welcome to contribute! :D ;)

Code: Select all

# update to current version
freebsd-update fetch install

# verify: (kernel version may be behind userland version)
freebsd version -uk 

#upgrade to 10.3: (note the 3 steps)
freebsd-update -r 10.3-RELEASE
freebsd-update install
# reboot
freebsd-update install

# upgrade from 10.3 to 11.x
freebsd-update -r 11.0-RELEASE
freebsd-update install
#reboot
freebsd-update install

# must be noted that after upgrading to 11.x all packages need to be deinstalled and reinstalled
# please look at FreeBSD forum for further advice
# always be ready with backup and alternate boot media 
vaisarger

Post by vaisarger »

Sorry ASX if I redo the question....
Is that way the best way to upgrade GhostBSD, without formatting and reinstalling with a brand new release ISO?

(Once in future Eric will donate us a rolling release... I know it will happen... Eric please make upgrades easy!)
:-D :-D :-D
ASX

Post by ASX »

vaisarger wrote:Sorry ASX if I redo the question....
Is that way the best way to upgrade GhostBSD, without formatting and reinstalling with a brand new release ISO?
Yes, there is, provided you are willing to learn and spend some time.

Related to "system updates", the instructions are in my previous post, related to the packages, it is simple, but need to look at the details, basically reinstall all packages.

Related to the specific ghostbsd packages, there is the need to download from github, build, deinstall, build, but those are 10 pkgs or something like that,
(Once in future Eric will donate us a rolling release... I know it will happen... Eric please make upgrades easy!)
:-D :-D :-D
We are working toward that goal, a first step was setting up the new server (already done), the next is set up our own repo (work in progress), the latest will be about publishing the news ... hopefully will will get there when GhostBSD 11 will be final. ;)
vaisarger

Post by vaisarger »

Congratulations for your work.

You made the BSD world easy (and accessible by all cpu architecture - well, at least x86-32 and x86-64 -).
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Hi vaisarger,

I would like to make it a rolling release at less for the package, for the base system that would be a lot work. This would mean on release per month, but that also mean that the community would need to help to make it possible.
vaisarger

Post by vaisarger »

Hi Eric!
Nice to read your direct opinions...

As I said to gentle ASX, I wish GhostBSD be a rolling release, to have the possibility, in few words, "to install once, update every while, and forget all the rest".

This said, the only rolling releases I used/use are: PCLinuxOS (before) and Lubuntu (now). All these two are actually "semi" rolling releases (namely they actually release the discrete releases every while, and you can normally little by little upgrade your system, but every while you do a huge upgrade). They are not like Arch Linux, or Gentoo, where system and userland are in the same level and are "full" rolling.
Nevertheless "semi" or "full" is a false matter, because "semi" rolling are very convenient too, in a strictly user view. In fact, the worst side of a semi rolling is only the need to have a flat internet connection when a discrete new release comes out.
On the other hand, as I know, full rolling are slightly less solid/secure, and are more prone to problems in case some update is not optimal.

All this to say that transform current GhostBSD even in a "not full" rolling release would be a great step toward usability, giving users possibility to use the system and that's it, provided you have always a connection working and update every time an update is suggested.