Is GhostBSD a sort of "rolling release"?

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
vaisarger

Is GhostBSD a sort of "rolling release"?

Post by vaisarger »

Hi!
I apologize in advance for question, but I am a beginner in *BSD.

I tried the "upgrade package" feature in Octopkg and the system update through "Update station" tray icon (I believe that is the name) : both worked really ok!
Then, I asked myself "what about" major version change?

Is GhostBSD/FreeBSD like a "rolling release" or not? And, in latter case, how is the procedure to upgrade from an old major version to next one?

E.g.: If I had in my PC: GhostBSD 4.0, was it possible to upgrade to 10.x version?
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Is GhostBSD a sort of "rolling release"?

Post by ericbsd »

It is possible to upgrade the base system to 10.x using freebsd-update, but for GhostBSD upgrade it is not yet there. But the plane is to move GhostBSD as an hybrid of normal release and of rolling release. The plan is to have 11.0 to be able to run at latest FreeBSD base system with out having to wait to the next GhostBSD release and when GhostBSD next release it will push the upgrade will be available, and in 10.2 you will able to chose to have stable pkg upgrade or always be at the latest pkg available. With upcoming base system upgrade coming to pkg it will give use a better way to upgrade FreeBSD base system and it will make GhostBSD more likely a rolling release.
vaisarger

Post by vaisarger »

Thank you for reply! :D

I would like to keep on using this nice OS, and I need to ask you the last question...

For next major release, until plan you said will be actual, do we need a DVD-ROM to upgrade system manually?

And how to do it? :oops:

Thanks
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Upgrading Using “FreeBSD Update”
The freebsd-update utility supports binary upgrades of i386 and amd64 systems running earlier FreeBSD releases.

Code: Select all

freebsd-update fetch

freebsd-update install
Now you need freebsd-update utility to fetch 10.2-RELEASE. During this process freebsd-update will ask you for help in merging configuration files.

freebsd-update upgrade -r 10.2-RELEASE
This will install the new kernel.

freebsd-update install
You need rebooted with the newly installed kernel before.

shutdown -r now
After rebooting, freebsd-update needs to be run again to install the new userland components:

freebsd-update install
You will to reboot to have to have all change taking effect.

We will start with that first. Just to say that you might run it to some minor problem the update manager Might ask you to fix some file, if you are not sure what to do post it here I will try to reply as fast that I can.
vaisarger

Post by vaisarger »

Thank you for answer!
Unfortunately, committments avoid us to have a good "conversation" in (almost) "real time"... anyway...

At moment I don't have a flat Internet connection so I am not able to playing with various OS versions, so I will try this major version upgrade later.

In meanwhile, green icon of Update manager is appeared on desktop panel: is that program able to upgrade system to 10.2.x version number, or is limited to 10.1.x versions?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

It will update to 10.2 p#.
vaisarger

Post by vaisarger »

Hi Eric!

At last, I tried upgrading to 10.2-RELEASE following your reply.

Upgrade was rather well, but some "file not found" alerts when I launched " freebsd-update install" .
Then, I launched "freebsd-update upgrade -r 10.2-RELEASE".

I tried to merge some conf file the best I could, and 99% of system seems good now.

Only problem I have is caused by: libgnutls.so.28
In system I have now libgnutls.so.30, but some app still point to that old lib version ( .28).

I typed:

>cd /usr/local/bin
>find . -type f | xargs -n1 file | grep ELF | cut -f1 -d ' ' | cut -d ':' -f 1 | xargs ldd -f'%A %o\n' | grep libgnutls.so.28
./ffmpeg libgnutls.so.28
./dirmngr libgnutls.so.28
./espgs libgnutls.so.28
./gcm-calibrate libgnutls.so.28
./gcm-calibrate libgnutls.so.28
./gcm-picker libgnutls.so.28
./gcm-picker libgnutls.so.28
./gcm-viewer libgnutls.so.28
./gcm-viewer libgnutls.so.28
./ffprobe libgnutls.so.28
./gnome-control-center libgnutls.so.28
./gnome-control-center libgnutls.so.28
./ffserver libgnutls.so.28
./mplayer libgnutls.so.28
./shotwell libgnutls.so.28
./vte-2.91 libgnutls.so.28
./vte-2.91 libgnutls.so.28

So, as you see, several apps have that problem (and cupsd too.. I saw in boot message...)

What do you suggest? :?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

You might need to force some packages to reinstall, like cups by using pkg install -f cups, GhostBSD 10.1 is using the latest repos which it is bleeding edge and problem are bound to happen.
vaisarger

Post by vaisarger »

I tried your tip ("pkg install -f cups"), but pkg-ng answered me that it had to remove first a lot of packages (gdm too) and then upgrade some other packages... brrrr... scary!............ :shock:

However, I fixed the issue. 8-)
First, I upgraded pkg-ng , packages databases, and so forth...
then, I used simply "pkg upgrade".

Hey! I like this pkg manager tool !!! ;-)
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Once you understand pkgng, it becomes easy to fix pkg problem. I am trying to do GUI for pkgng that will will exploit pkgng at is best.