GhostBSD source code

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
mcculloughsm

GhostBSD source code

Post by mcculloughsm »

Hello, all!

I'm Sean McCullough from Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA. I just started using GhostBSD for AMD64. I must state that I really like it. It comes with some of FreeBSD's problems pre-solved: a native install using GNOME2 has no problem permitting ordinary (non-root) users to use the GNOME2 Terminal, for just one example.

(When I tried installing FreeBSD with GNOME2 on the same computer I'm now using GhostBSD on, non-root users only got a momentary flash of the Terminal. root could bring GNOME Terminal up and use it. I could not find a suitable fix for the problem.)

My question relates to the difference between GhostBSD and FreeBSD in this regard. I strongly suspect that there are subtle but important differences in the "as-built" kernel source code between the two, as I found no use of custom default kernel tunables in my /boot/loader.conf. (Am I correct here?)

So here it is: Does one obtain the GhostBSD "as-built" kernel source code by obtaining the FreeBSD source code and then applying the GhostBSD toolkit from http://sourceforge.net/p/ghostbsdprojec ... HEAD/tree/ ??

As you can probably tell, I'm no master coder. I just like what I have here with GhostBSD and want to make sure I have the correct source code for things like building the NVIDIA video driver I need for my machine. I've built that with straight FreeBSD source code and it's working fine, but I know that if the kernel sources don't match, I might not be so fortunate the next time I need to build a kernel-source dependent package.

Thank you again! And major kudos on a really great BSD implementation!! :D

Cordially,
Sean McCullough
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
wotan@frii.com
h3z

Re: GhostBSD source code

Post by h3z »

While I can't answer your question about the source code, I can tell you that the non-root terminal issue you had, may have been solved by giving the user account a rbash shell instead of the default sh.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Hi,
GhostBSD 3.1 source code is in 3.0-RC from the link you have give us. The kernel is build with only geom and its the only one kernel component I add to it. GhostBSD is a fully functional FreeBSD system.

/boot/loader.conf can be use, but I compile everything we need for GhostBSD kernel with the FreeBSD GENERIC configuration file kernel.

For the gnome terminal I am not sure to understand.
kathi

Post by kathi »

If you mean the old post that was lost in the old forum, if your account was deleted its probably the case everything is lost. But I have seen some post as guest on the old forum maybe those post are yours.
We provide guarantee to pass Keiser University with online exam training Pass4sure E20-891 and ARM, you can also get best quality Stanford University along with Youtube for your guaranteed success.