GhostBSD 4.0

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
flanker

GhostBSD 4.0

Post by flanker »

Hey folks,

Any idea when GhostBSD 4.0 will be out?
ericbsd
Developer

Re: GhostBSD 4.0

Post by ericbsd »

The final release is for march.
ovinet

Post by ovinet »

What about snapshots of 4.0?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

We should release an Alpha soon.
superlativo

Post by superlativo »

I'm a Manjaro Linux XFCE user, it's a rolling release Linux. I installed FreeBSD 10 but I spend a lot of time in XFCE compilation and finally have a error and don't work graphic session. I read about easy install system and ports in GhostBSD.

I want install GhostBSD on a second hard disk but I have a question. GhostBSD is a rolling release? Can I update or need clean install?

Thanks in advance.
bsdkeith

Post by bsdkeith »

Sorry no-one has been in to answer your question. (I have only recently returned to the project.)

GhostBSD follows FreeBSD, therefore the suggested upgrade path is to do a complete new installation of the system. Note that you can have your data in a seperate slice (partition) of your hard drive, mounted via fstab once the system is installed.
Problems getting 'X' to work on FreeBSD are often down to not having hal & dbus enabled in rc.conf.
Linux user since 1999; & now a BSD user.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

superlativo,

GhostBSD - for the moment GhostBSD is a release that needs a clean install at each release, but since 'pkgng' is our (new) default package manager, it will be possible to upgrade and update GhostBSD system and software easily, some work has been started on this.