Gimp & Wine

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
Aquila

Gimp & Wine

Post by Aquila »

Hello, I'm willing to try again after Ghost version 3 that I was impressed, and after reading the review 3.5 out of Distrowatch.
I work on photo editing, and I would like to know if it is possible to compile Gimp 2.9 from git as on Linux, and if Wine works well.
Thank you.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Gimp & Wine

Post by ericbsd »

Wine only work on i386, and For Gimp can't say if it will compile.
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

WineHQ confirms that wine will compile and operate with freeBSD and DragonFlyBSD. The versions of wine tested vary as do the versions of free and DragonFly BSD distros, but look very promising. The gimp is available as a package from the 10.1 freeBSD repositories - I just now verified it. Gimp requires about 1GB with dependencies as I currently do not have Gnome or Mate installed so memory/download requirements will vary from system to system. Wine should most likely be compiled for specialty builds, but if a generalized pre-compiled package exists that will most likely be the best choice.

...and Eric is correct about the i386 constraint and that does not include x86_64 just the straight 32bit cpu platforms more prominently. There is a good possibility that the wine sources may compile on an x86_64 system with some heavy duty patch work or the newer untested versions of wine may compile plain vanilla. The reports/feedback addressing the porting/migration of wine to x86_64 and 64 bit platforms is incredibly sparse (lacking much detail) and does not currently reflect testing results of newer versions of wine. So, try the wine compile with the newest version and let everyone know how it went and possibly post your results at WineHQ.

The standalone installation of gimp in my freeBSD 10.1p5 also built and installed a vesa compatible SDL library. The final output message from gimp reads as follows:

"Your SDL library has been built with libvgl support, which means that you can run almost any SDL application straight on your console (VESA 2.0 compatible video card required)." Gimp output further states "To do this you have to load the vesa kernel module or enable it in your kernel and set environment variable 'SDL_VIDEODRIVER=vgl'." Interesting, but may conflict with a few things unless shell scripts are utilized to toggle display preference...

SDL: simple direct media layer/library utilized in 2D and 3D imaging and display systems/applications for anyone unfamiliar with the subject.

Peace.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Lately a version of wine for the amd64 has been added in to the FreeBSD ports.
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

ericbsd wrote:Lately a version of wine for the amd64 has been added in to the FreeBSD ports.
Good to know.

I also just downloaded and installed Wine 1.6 from freeBsd packages repo not even two minutes ago; it is FBSD10.1, but I saw another thread here at GBSD indicating that the underlying FBSD system can be upgraded and updated to 10.1 so I feel this information pertinent. Wine 1.7 can be compiled from source obtained from Wine repos, but it may not yet be supported so I would stick to the freeBSD packages and ports.

I think I'm going to start a thread and list all the packages I download as a quick reference for availability inspiring those coming to and investigating the use of GBSD.