How to Boot FreeBSD and GhostBSD

Questions and support problems dealing directly with the FreeBSD Operating System.
wolfclaws

How to Boot FreeBSD and GhostBSD

Post by wolfclaws »

I installed FreeBSD first And i got it pretty well configured now. So i was thinking of installing GhostBSD along side of it.

I created a partition for it and swap. I did try ticking grub install for boot but it gave me an error. So i figured it was because i had FreeBSD so i just left it blank and it installed fine. The problem is how do i boot into it because there's no grub and it is using the FreeBSD menu from my first install

Is there a way to update the BSD Boot. What do i have to do so i can boot into ghost BSD too

Thank you
ericbsd
Developer

Re: How to Boot FreeBSD and GhostBSD

Post by ericbsd »

First what is your partition scheme GPT or MBR?
wolfclaws

Post by wolfclaws »

I think its MBR. How do i check i will double check for you
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

If you have install on MBR you can use FreeBSD boot loader.
wolfclaws

Post by wolfclaws »

How do i do that. What do i have to do
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Code: Select all

boot0cfg -B ada0
Should do it.
spectre

Post by spectre »

This may not be relevant, but in the past I have had difficulty booting more than one FreeBSD-based OS from the same drive using the FreeBSD bootloader. The reason is that the FreeBSD boot block code (boot2.c) doesn't just look into its own partition for the boot loader and config. Instead, it scans all partitions for them, and so will always load the first one it finds.

There is a way around this, by interrupting the boot process and entering a string with the disk address of the boot loader for the partition you want. I used to do this, but it's ugly.

This info may be out of date. I haven't tried putting 2 FreeBSD based OSes onto 1 drive for awhile.