Cannot mount virtual disk drive after a failed upgrade

Questions and support problems dealing directly with the FreeBSD Operating System.
OneGhost

Cannot mount virtual disk drive after a failed upgrade

Post by OneGhost »

I had GhostBSD 23.10.01 installed on a virtual machine (VirtualBox) on a 15 GB virtual vdi-file drive. The system notified of an upgrade from 13 to 14 (The FreeBSD base, I assume). I had 5.9 GB of free disk space, and selected the option "Create boot environment backup" before continuing with the upgrade, but during the upgrade the disk ran out of space and the upgrade was stuck in a loop. After I restarted the machine the GUI did not open and I got an error message:

Code: Select all

Starting file system checks:
ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libcrypto.sl.30" not found, required by "zfs"
ld-elf.so.1: /sbin/mount: Undefined symbol "pidfile_signal"
Mounting root filesystem rw failed, startup aborted
ERROR: ABORTING BOOT (sending SIGTERM to parent)!
2024-02-14T00:33:21.660638+01:00 - init 1 - - /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
When I pressed enter and then typed ls at the prompt, I got

ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libtinfow.so.9" not found, required by "ls"
When I typed df -h at the prompt, I could see the filesystem zroot/ROOT/default and that only 23 MB was available.

I tried booting into safe mode from the boot menu, but it did not work.

I created a second virtual machine and installed GhostBSD 24.01.1 (based on 14.0-STABLE) on it. I then attached the vdi-file from GhostBSD 23 as a second disk to a virtual SCSI-controller and booted. The first times I got the same error message as when I started the GhostBSD 23 installation, but the last time I was able to boot into GhostBSD 24. Typing gpart show -p da0 in the terminal, I see a partition da0p2 of type freebsd-zfs, but typing mount -r -t freebsd-zfs /dev/da0p2 /media i get

mount: /dev/da0p2: Invalid fstype: Invalid argument
Primarily, I am trying to access and salvage the files in my home directory from the GhostBSD 23 install. This is the most important thing. But if it was possible to then restore the system to a state before the failed upgrade, then that would be good too.
OneGhost

Re: Cannot mount virtual disk drive after a failed upgrade

Post by OneGhost »

I no longer need help with this after I got help with this issue here: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/cann ... bsd.92450/