Installer not starting X; nvidia vt issues?

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
dacha

Installer not starting X; nvidia vt issues?

Post by dacha »

Hi

No matter which Grub option I choose, the installer for GhostBSD 11.1 won't start X11 :(.

It appears that my NVidia GT 620 is unsupported by "nv".

Xorg.0.log transcript:

Code: Select all

(WW) NV: Ignoring unsupported device 0x10de0f01 (GF108 [GeForce GT 620]) at 01@00:00:0
(EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
(EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for scfb
scfb trace: probe start
(II): scfb (1): using default device
scfb trace: probe done
(WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
(EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
(II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices
TrueOS works but it uses a text console. Could that be why? Trying kern.vty=sc however, crashes inside Grub.

Please help?
dacha

Re: Installer not starting X; nvidia vt issues?

Post by dacha »

I worked around it using the following:

Code: Select all

Xorg -configure
cp /root/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf (and change "nv" to "vesa")
startxfce4
But a real solution is sorely needed for less technical users.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Probably the Nvidia driver by default could do the job for a newer card.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi there

finally got my HP Compaq 8200 Elite computer ready with a NVidia nv s300 graphics card but now X from live CD won t start and I couldn t find the right steps for configuring with either VESA or a 800x600 solution that worked with FreeBSD on my HP widescreen monitor.
what would be the fastest way to try a working X server with Ghost 11.1?
Bit stuck after trying around the whole evening...

after trying "Xorg -configure" it says:
"using config file: /root/xorg.conf.new" and "configuration failed" and "server terminated with error (2)"...
I once was able to manually adjust a conf-file with either "vesa" or start X with a resolution like 800x600 but can´t remember how I did that!
Any idea?

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

well,

I found an old screenshot of my FreeBSD 11 installation where I put the depth on 24 with resolution 1024x768 which worked for the screen section of xorg.conf.
but it seems I have to have an installed system to "save" that xorg.conf which I don t have as I usually first use the live system´s graphic installer and start installation with partitioning and formatting disk and then installation of system.
as it is a HP desktop with a NVidia ns300 usually connected to 2 monitors but in this case via cable bridge from DSM59 to AVI to only ONE HP widescreen - is this possibly a no-go for a GhostBSD installation?
Windows 7 & some Linux have no problem with a graphical desktop but how can I start one on ghostBSD?
or what s the best installation steps via command line and THEN propably start a manual X configuration as I did with FreeBSD?

best
Achim
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Hi, Achim,

What happens when you install GhostBSD and try to get to the desktop after installation?
You can't get to the desktop?
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi Neville

Thanks for Your reply!
Well, as I never tried to install Free-/GhostBSD via commandline, I m a bit lost on that.
With FreeBSD I was even able to use the curses (?) menu driven installation as known from early Linux installations after partitioning/formatting hardrive via Linux rescue system CD.
But on commandline?
After long consideration I decided to "kill" my older OpenSuse Linux 13.1, which stopped supporting wlan out of a sudden but had a working hercules surrounding for my MVS emulation (You rem. that Mainframe thing ;-) ).
So I put a working dual-boot system of Windows 7 & GhostBSD 11.1 now on that HP Turionx64 laptop.
Right now I m stuck on the same level as last contact with You (the headphones not working, will try Your PIN configuration later) and will need a better Perl IDE as the Geany IDE I have right now, but the rest is running smoothly tog. with some faster wlan via my Dlink G122 stick with Ralink chip!
On that extra organised HP desktop Elite small tower with a NVidia s300 graphics card with DSM59 to DVI connection I get the usual :
"Fatal server error" - "cannot run in framebuffer mode" and "unable to connect to X server" with "specify busIDs"!
on the installed FreeBSD on that Duron desktop (the machine replaced now) I could change the "xorg.conf" file on the monitor section to use "1024x768" on "24bpp" mode.
then startx and it started X... but now I have no installation, therefore no xorg-conf-file to put that in. :D
But let me try now on that HP laptop and hopefully will get that headphone thing solved, too.

cheers
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

but I notice it pretty hard to submit something here on the forum!
Both my Linux laptop & on my Android phone I have to try always two or three times to submit a post, cause the delivery takes long and then the posted text and the editor version both are shown!?
when I then do a 3rd or 4th refresh of the page THEN the posted version is included alone?
was something changed on that phpBB platform thing?

cheers
Achim
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I have updated to the latest version, but I did not notice any problem on my end. Since you use Android you should install Telegram and use https://t.me/ghostbsd NevilleGoddard and me, we are active on it.