"error: incompatible license" GhostBSD 11.1 x64 XFCE

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
ASX

Re: "error: incompatible license" GhostBSD 11.1 x64 XFCE

Post by ASX »

When on the installed GhostBSD, running grub-mkconfig should output the detected systems, on the terminal, that allow you to verify that all OSes are detected properly.
if it look OK, running:

Code: Select all

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
will write the new config file which will include all OSes.
Disclaimer: I'm not running grub in this moment and you need to check the details on grub info pages yourself.
~~~
Using grub from linux:
in that case you need to make sure grub understand the UFS filesystem, this is accomplished by loading the ufs2 module

insmod ufs2
or in case of ZFS:

insmod zfs
after that, update-grub should detect GhostBSD/FreeBSD OSes.

Additional note: the mentioned modules must be available under the /boot/grub tree, not all linux distros install them, you can usualy find those modules somewhere under /usr/share and you need to copy them into the proper location under /boot/grub.
nughost

Post by nughost »

Hi and sorry to disturb you. After I made a custom GRUB "menuentry" (I modified /etc/grub.d/custom_40 file):

menuentry "GhostBSD"{
insmod zfs
set root=(hd0,2)
chainloader +1
}
Then I did this:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.10.0-33-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.10.0-33-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.10.0-32-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.10.0-32-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.elf
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1
Found unknown Linux distribution on /dev/sda3
done
Now I have a "GhostBSD" in GRUB menu, but it says "bootmgr missing" when I choose it.
ASX

Post by ASX »

If you use the "chainloader" option, you are telling grub to handoff the control to whatever loader is installed in the partition you choosed: set root=(hd0, 2), in that case you don't need to load the ZFS module, dealing with ZFS will be a job of the chainloaded loader.

Apparently you run grub-mkconfig from linux, and not from GhostBSD, else I don't understand why it did not detected GhostBSD.

To help you, I need a few info:
a) when you installed GhostBSD what bootloader did you choose ? (grub, freebsd loader, or freebsd loader + boot manager)
b) I need to know how you partitioned the disk, a default ghostbsd will create a freebsd-boot partition, a freebsd-zfs or a freebsd-ufs, and a freebsd-swap), the best way to provide the correct info is by running a live GhostBSD and provide the output of the following command:

gpart show -p
Assuming /dev/ada0p1 (sda1) is a freebsd-boot partition you need to chainload (hd0, 1) and not (hd0, 2).

~~~

Beside that, if /dev/ada0p2 is where you instaled GhostBSD, you could use somehing like (in case of UFS):
that means passing control from grub to the freebsd 2nd stage loader, it is otherwise equivalent to chainloading:

menuentry "GhostBSD Loader" {
        insmod ufs2
        set root="(hd0,2)"
        kfreebsd /boot/loader
}
that is telling grub that hd0,2 is a ufs partition and will direct grub to load the freebsd loader.

In case of ZFS I'm unsure, I always used the chainload option for grub+zfs and that worked for me.

A third way, the one that come from GhostBSD grub autodetection is something like:

menuentry "GhostBSD Kernel" {
  insmod zfs
  set root="(hd0,2)"
  kfreebsd /boot/kernel/kernel
  kfreebsd_loadenv /boot/device.hints
  kfreebsd_module_elf /boot/kernel/ums.ko
  kfreebsd_module_elf /boot/kernel/crypto.ko
  kfreebsd_module_elf /boot/kernel/aesni.ko
  kfreebsd_module_elf /boot/kernel/geom_eli.ko
  kfreebsd_module_elf /boot/kernel/nullfs.ko
  kfreebsd_module_elf /boot/kernel/geom_uzip.ko
  kfreebsd_module_elf /boot/kernel/drm2.ko
  set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ada0s1a
  set kFreeBSD.kern.geom.eli.visible_passphrase=2
  set kFreeBSD.hw.memtest.tests=0
  set kFreeBSD.grub.platform=$grub_platform
  set kFreeBSD.vfs.zfs.arc_max=128M
  set kFreeBSD.kern.vty=vt
  set kFreeBSD.kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable=0
  set kFreeBSD.kern.geom.label.gptid.enable=0
  set kFreeBSD.kern.geom.label.ufsid.enable=0
}
the latter is significatively more complex, and imply some discrepance with the standard freebsd documentation, that something to avoid for a new user. (it load the freebd kernel directly but skip loader.conf, therefore things usually set in loader.conf must be set in grub.cfg directly).
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

nughost wrote:I tested the Live media I did with Linux dd command and Rufus dd command, both have a same problem - after using running Firefox for some time the systems turns unresponsive! So I hard reboot the PC and did a custom installation - a partition (20GB) previously used by TrueOS, formatted into UFS+SUJ or UFS+J (I'm not sure) and "/" mount point, SWAP partition is the same as used for Linux (is that correct?).
To be honest, I'm not sure if Linux and FreeBSD can share a SWAP partition. Linux needs to format it for swap (mkswap, IIRC) whereas FreeBSD doesn't do this and will happily swap to any space that it's pointed to. Using swap space on FreeBSD might interfere with whatever Linux does when it formats it. However I have never dual-booted *BSD and Linux and thus never tested what really happens. But since you asked, I wanted to point out that this might be a problem.