Unable to get to install menu GhostBSD 11 ALPHA

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
ASX

Re: Unable to get to install menu GhostBSD 11 ALPHA

Post by ASX »

legitname wrote:@ASX,

I've already tried with 10.3 but it too gives me xorg errors. It says "no screens found(EE)" and that's it.
That is the time you should have to stop, and seek for help:
I.e. post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log

The error is put at both 11 ALPHA and 10.3 . I found this link "https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=173153" which says that my system is loading too fast.
That's a linux forum.
Then I pressed CTRL+ALT+F4 to get a console up and ran "bsdinstall", which gave me the alternative to install.
Nope, there not exists such thing like "alternative" install. You are doing it wrongly. bsdinstall is the FreeBSD installer, and is not the GhostBSD installer.
Now I've installed GhostBSD but I have no graphics drivers for some reason and I've downloaded xorg.
Nope, you think you have installed GhostBSD, but bsdinstall can't do it properly.
When I start it takes about 7 minutes to get to what is suppost to be a login screen (SLIM) but all I get is a gray screen, which is the same issue I've had before when my Nvidia drivers didn't work properly so I tried installing nvidia but it fails because my kernel is outdated and downloading latest 4.9.5 linux kernel or something didn't help either. Any ideas on how to download graphics drivers for GTX 1070?
What happens when you perform some arbiratry steps, without knowing what you are doing, is not something I'm willing to examine.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

legitname wrote:Any ideas on how to download graphics drivers for GTX 1070?
I haven't gotten my hands on any pascal based graphics cards, so I cannot tell you if they already work with FreeBSD. They are definitely too new for 10.3 and probably for 11.0, too. What you might want to try first, is getting a TrueOS live CD and see if it can boot to a graphical mode. TrueOS includes special patches from a "DRM-next" branch providing the kernel parts to support more recent graphic cards. If that doesn't work, either, than your card simply won't work on FreeBSD at all right now. Let me know if it does - then you can look at the next step.
ASX

Post by ASX »

"Any ideas on how to download graphics drivers for GTX 1070?
Yes: go back to Windows.
legitname

Post by legitname »

As of now I've tried the following OS': TrueOS, GhostBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Parabola, Arch, Elementary, Fedora, NetBSD, DragonflyBSD and kali linux. All of them besides Fedora are unable to boot up anything graphical, they all spit out "NMI watchdog bug soft lockup" and I've spent the last few days trying to learn about why things don't work and tried my own way when google don't got no more, which ASX was so nice to point out but not come with any real help. ASX I appriciate you trying to help me but please don't comment passive aggressive stuff like "Yes: go back to Windows". Anyhow, I don't get anything when I try to install GhostBSD besides xorg errors and I can't post them because the computer restarts or spits out even more xorg errors when I press CTRL + C. Anybody got a "try out intel graphics from here" or how to install working nouveau and connect to xorg or something?
Note: I will attempt once more at installing TrueOS now, thanks for the update kraileth!
ASX

Post by ASX »

legitname wrote:As of now I've tried the following OS': TrueOS, GhostBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Parabola, Arch, Elementary, Fedora, NetBSD, DragonflyBSD and kali linux. All of them besides Fedora are unable to boot up anything graphical, they all spit out "NMI watchdog bug soft lockup" and I've spent the last few days trying to learn about why things don't work and tried my own way when google don't got no more, which ASX was so nice to point out but not come with any real help. ASX I appriciate you trying to help me but please don't comment passive aggressive stuff like "Yes: go back to Windows". Anyhow, I don't get anything when I try to install GhostBSD besides xorg errors and I can't post them because the computer restarts or spits out even more xorg errors when I press CTRL + C. Anybody got a "try out intel graphics from here" or how to install working nouveau and connect to xorg or something?
Note: I will attempt once more at installing TrueOS now, thanks for the update kraileth!
I'm not aggressive, (even if it may look like that), I'm honest and I'm saying what I think.

Each OS among those you mentioned may require years to be mastered correctly, and you think you can skip between one or the other like if it was a walk on the beach.

I can also see you are unable to properly report about the issues you are encountering (and I know there will be many), so I think you are not enough motivated or willing to spend enough efforts to learn about a (single) new OS.

That's the idea I got by reading your posts. Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.

Considering the above I think you want an OS that "just works", and this usually not the case for Linux os BSDs OSes.

All will require some good effort from your part, some OS more, some OS a little less.

What usually remain that just works are Windows (and even there you may find issues) and MacOS X.

I joined GhostBSD two years ago, coming with a strong Unix/Linux background, and even so it was not very easy, I can imagine how frustrating can be switching toa BSD OS without a proper background.
Thus my suggestion, no offense intended.

If I'm wrong, great, but please just stick with one OS and workout each and any issue, one by one, and one at a time.

At this time I don't even know if you have propery transferred the ISO images onto the USB stick, I know nothing about your machine (UEFI ? BIOS), I know nothing about your hardware ... and so on. Hard to help you.
legitname

Post by legitname »

ASX as you know I'm pretty new to all of these "configure xorg, setting up drivers, checking hardware compability" stuff but there's one thing you don't count in your post. Since I'm new I'll have no idea how to post the correct info, ### I don't even know what info is needed or might be needed in this situation which makes it diffuclt to post anything good. If you'd just posted in the beginning "Hello and welcome to this new and exting OS, we're here to try to help you. please read this link: somelink.something and help us get the info we might need" and the link of course goes to info on how to post good then we wouldn't have this problem would we? I'd see "Post specs and BIOS info" or something and tons of proposals on what to post and I'd be able to help myself and you. The thing is I can't use Windows nor MacOS X for my hobby so that is not an option, I need FreeBSD/OpenBSD or some linux variant(Ubuntu looks and feels aweful). So yeah you're aggressive when you post stuff which doesn't encourage growth e.g "Yes: go back to windows" just post "kiddo, this info won't do any good. Can you post the log of xorg?" or "We can't do nothing with this, post specs or bios or file system or anything linked with an install".
PS: I stuck with Ubuntu then Fedora then Elementary and I've managed to installed GhostBSD and tried it out for some days now in a virtualbox. I don't just come here empty handed, I come here with problems which is intermediate to advanced from what I can tell.
ASX

Post by ASX »

legitname wrote:ASX as you know I'm pretty new to all of these "configure xorg, setting up drivers, checking hardware compability" stuff but there's one thing you don't count in your post. Since I'm new I'll have no idea how to post the correct info, ### I don't even know what info is needed or might be needed in this situation which makes it diffuclt to post anything good. If you'd just posted in the beginning "Hello and welcome to this new and exting OS, we're here to try to help you. please read this link: somelink.something and help us get the info we might need" and the link of course goes to info on how to post good then we wouldn't have this problem would we?

The fact you are new to BSD is not a problem for itself, it become a problem the moment you think you are correct when you are not. (also, I'm not a baby-sitter). Feel free to continue to call me aggressive.

Among the several OS you mentioned dragonflybsd doesn't provide nvidia drivers at all, so it appears you are unable to collect basic info about operating systems you are going to install.

also see below.
'd see "Post specs and BIOS info" or something and tons of proposals on what to post and I'd be able to help myself and you. The thing is I can't use Windows nor MacOS X for my hobby so that is not an option, I need FreeBSD/OpenBSD or some linux variant(Ubuntu looks and feels aweful). So yeah you're aggressive when you post stuff which doesn't encourage growth e.g "Yes: go back to windows"
Yeah, feel free to continue ...
just post "kiddo, this info won't do any good. Can you post the log of xorg?" or "We can't do nothing with this, post specs or bios or file system or anything linked with an install".
I thinks is what I'have done (using my own words, not yours) and the result is that I get classified as "aggressive".

You seems to ignore the fact that at the very beginning of this thread I had to guess about your error when transferring the image to the USB stick, which means that I had to interpret you post.
Unfortunately "guessing and interpreting" doesn't work very well in the IT field.
PS: I stuck with Ubuntu then Fedora then Elementary and I've managed to installed GhostBSD and tried it out for some days now in a virtualbox. I don't just come here empty handed, I come here with problems which is intermediate to advanced from what I can tell.
I previously suggested to go back to GhostBSD 10.3, when my advice was ignored I suggested to go back to Windows.

Beside that, PCLinuxOS is also something you could try, it is easy to install, support well the Nvidia, and its community is probably the most friendly in the Linux world. (btw, I know that first hand, I had just to leave because of my "aggressiveness").
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Hi, ligitname.
If you installed GhostBSD with bsdinstall it's probably not going to work properly. To install nvidia drivers you need to use a ports or install the nvidia package.
Run these commands or look at the GhostBSD wiki here http://wiki.ghostbsd.org/wiki/index.php ... stallation.
Here are the commands:

pkg install nvidia-driver
pkg install nvidia-settings
pkg install nvidia-xconfig

After these steps are taken, you need to put nvidia-modeset on your /etc/rc.conf

echo 'kld_list="nvidia-modeset"' >> /etc/rc.conf

Then run as root:

nvidia-xconfig

and reboot

See if this helps

I wouldn't use usb3 if I were you. I've heard even with windows 10 this isn't a good idea.

Did you check the md5 sum of the iso image. Maybe the download image has been corrupted somehow.

I've never had the problems you've described with GhostBSD 10.3. I've installed 10.3 on an nvidia system, a radeon system and a laptop with intel graphics and I've never had a problem. Version 11 is a different story as ASX says. It is an alpha image and it may take a number of tries to get to the desktop, especially in my experience the MATE version.

Downloading a linux kernel won't help at all.

Try with version 10.3 on a dvd or usb 2 stick and see if that helps. Good luck!