GUI goes nuts booting Live DVD

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
FiatSpider

GUI goes nuts booting Live DVD

Post by FiatSpider »

Hi everyone, I have 2 dell laptops that the live DVD will not boot up on. The text part is fine but even if I choose VESA the screen goes nuts and I can not regain anything legible. My only recourse is to ctrl-alt-f2, log in as root and shutdown. I have gotten other OS's to boot into their gui with VESA so I'm not sure what is going on here. Both of these laptops have NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M or 140M graphics and I suspect even if VESA is chosen GhostBSD still attempts to load the latest Nvidia (376) driver which is incompatible with these older chips. Is there any way to force GhostBSD to load the VESA driver for sure? I'd love it if you had a text install. Then I could load the driver after install. Thanks.
FiatSpider

Re: GUI goes nuts booting Live DVD

Post by FiatSpider »

Sorry, I needed to add some detail. The Dell laptops are a D630 and a D830. The both have Core 2 Duo CPU's, 2 ghz. Nvidia Quadro graphics, 250 gig hd, 1440x900 screens. I've used both 10.3 and 11 Alpha 1 versions of Ghostbsd - Mate & Xfce. I'd love to get this working on these laptops. Yeah they're not the newest thing out there but they sure are tough and reliable. Thanks.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Re: GUI goes nuts booting Live DVD

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Hi. Are you trying to boot xfce or MATE? There are problems with the GhostBSD 11 MATE version at the moment. If you want to boot xfce just choose "startxfce4" and it should get to the desktop.