Install of GhostBSD10.1 impossible

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
christophe60_fr

Install of GhostBSD10.1 impossible

Post by christophe60_fr »

Hello,

I tried many times to install GhostBSD10.1-RELEASE-20150912-xfce-amd64 from a DVD or a USB stick, each time without success.
After booting from the DVD, each attempt always ends with a blank screen with 5 times the same message at the top right "VboxClient:Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service...".
Then, the system freezes with "Performing Autostart..." at the bottom.

I guess the concern comes from a hardware incompatibility.

Does anyone know a workaround ?

I must say that I never managed to keep alive a very long time a bsd OS...Either I lose the wireless network (PC-BSD), or I lose the french keyboard (FreeBSD). It can last a few days or even hours.

Features : AMD Radeon HD 6450
Ralink RT5390 Wifi Adapter

Many thanks.
ASX

Re: Install of GhostBSD10.1 impossible

Post by ASX »

hi,

the VboxClient error message is harmless, come directly from virtualbox-ose-guestadditions package which can be safely removed after installation, it is required only for installation as vbox guest.

About your hardware, the graphics adapter should work just fine, it is reportedly compatible with FreeBSD/GhostBSD.

What I unable to discriminate from your report is if your system hangs while running live or if it hangs after installation ...
is the keyboard locked ? (i.e. does numlock work or not ? can you switch to text console, CTRL + ALT + Fn ?)

What cpu in your system ? how much ram ?
christophe60_fr

Hi ASX,

In fact, the system hangs before the opening of the DE (XFCE) while running live.
So, unable to run further, the only remaining possibility is the power failure.

CPU : Intel Core i5 2300
Ram : 6 Go
ASX

Post by ASX »

Hmm ... there could a number of things other than power failure ....

You could try (for test at least) to disable some features from BIOS: try to enable a single core, disable hyperthreading ... (I have found at least one report about freebsd and i5 2300 where FreeBSD didn't worked when SMP was enabled), although I doubt it is the case here.

Other thiings you could try is running some memory test, boot from DVD instead of USB or viceversa ... try to boot a FreeBSD 10.1 image and may be even a FreeBSD 10.2 image ... try to boot PC-BSD ... so to understand if the problem is restricted to GhostBSD or FreeBSD in general.
christophe60_fr

Well, since the boot from the DVD stops before the end, I have no other choice but cutting off the power (complete freeze).
Booting from an USB stick is still worse : the sytem hangs 4 or 5 seconds after the beginning of the loading (also complete freeze).

Nothing I can do from BIOS (what is SMP ?).

No problem when booting from another BSD (PC-BSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc...) except DragonFlyBSD. In this case, I have to choose "Boot without AHCI driver".
So, every BSD can be installed (and issues arrive after the installation, but it's another story)...
ASX

Post by ASX »

Well, booting from USB stick may seems worst only because it is faster than booting from DVD, really it look the same to me.

SMP is a short for symmetric multiprocessing, in other words I asked you to try booting using a single CPU-CORE instead of the default 4 provided from your CPU, that could be achieved by some BIOS settings ... may be not, depending in your machine.

The relevant fact is that FreeBSD boot (although probably you didn't tried to install and run a GUI desktop, only text console), and along with the fact that GhostBSD use the FreeBSD stock kernel and userland seems to point to some graphics related problem.

Really the GhostBSD kernel and userland aren't exactly the same, because GhostBSD provide the 10.1-RELEASE-p18 (patch level 18) kernel/userland while FreeBSD-10.1 provide the base 10.1-RELEASE (unpatched) kernel ... but I doubt it is relevant in your case.

Don't have further ideas / suggestions ...
christophe60_fr

While speaking about the boot from USB stick, it's not here a feeling of speed : the loading hangs in the first page and the last line is :
"acpio: <HPQOEM SLIC-CPC> on motherboard".

Thank you for the definition of SMP.

Maybe you're right when you speak about "some graphics related problem".

Anyway, thank you for your help.
dchsoft

Post by dchsoft »

Hi Christophe,

I'v had the same issue with the amd64 iso. It looks like installing from the 32bits version (usb) is ok.
Does anyone have the same issue ?

Regards,
Dch
christophe60_fr

Hi dchsoft,

It's nice to see. I now feel much less alone...
dchsoft

Post by dchsoft »

hi,

After several tests, here is what I've found out : the system works and stop consequently all the time.
When booting from the usb stick, it looks like it is frozen, but if waiting enough time, it's going on... and stop again , then continue....
After having the desktop enabled, I disabled the screen saver, launch the install process. it take a lot, lot, lot of time and still on the run...
I 'll give you a feedback asap.
Christophe, ça va le faire, au finish ;)