How to install with gpt partition alongside linux

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
ballsystemlord

How to install with gpt partition alongside linux

Post by ballsystemlord »

Hello, I'm a long time Luser, and I'd like to try BSD! The problem is that, though I created the partition for ghostBSD and named it, I can't select it for formatting. What should I do? I did a quick internet search and I came up with only instructions for other BSDs, and they use an ncurses tool.
Thanks
ericbsd
Developer

Re: How to install with gpt partition alongside linux

Post by ericbsd »

What you would like to formate and kind of file system you will li9ke to formate?
ballsystemlord

Post by ballsystemlord »

ericbsd wrote:What you would like to format and kind of file system you will like to format?
I'd like to format a partition on a GPT disk. In linux it is /dev/sda11, in BSD it's probably something like /dev/ada11. I'd like to format it so that GhostBSD can use it, I don't care at this point what it is formatted to ext4, xfs, ufs, whatever.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

You can delete partition it will format it automatically when you create a ufs file system. On GhostBSD sda11 will look like ada0p11.
ballsystemlord

Post by ballsystemlord »

I tried that first, the GUI installer will not let me create a partition, perhaps I'm doing it wrong. Could you please give me a step-by-step. 1. Get to the disk formatting wizard. 2.
There is extra room on my disk so I'm confused as to why there is no option to create a new partition, or rather, it is light-gray and unclickable.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

If the partition do not let you create partition that can only be 2 thing on is you do not click on the the free space or you disk is mbr and it will not let create more then 4 partition.