GhostBSD10.1Alpha2 initial startup failure-splash screen

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
dewayne

GhostBSD10.1Alpha2 initial startup failure-splash screen

Post by dewayne »

My initial startup of GhostBSD 10.1Alpha2 (32 bit) on a usb, resulted in a nicely centred GhostBSD logo on my screen and then "No Signal". Unfortunately there is nothing further to report, however I would like to suggest that the splash screen, though pretty; doesn't enable me/us to provide any information as to what is happening. Would it be possible to allow the display of the kernel probes so we can see what's happening and contribute? :)

I also copied GhostBSD4.0-RELEASE-i386.img to usb and booted with a similar result, much earlier in the evening. Though in that case the gdm binary had too many warnings and froze the screen, saying something about drm AGP with 128M initialised 2.11.1 and then stopped. I was able to communicate via CLI and told the PC to "shutdown -p now", which surprisingly failed, but a "halt" did the trick.

I work with FreeBSD servers, so Xorg "stuff" is unfamiliar to me; however the intent is to replace the Windows XP PC's in one of the community service groups with GhostBSD. Before this requirement arose, I had run PC-BSD (32bit) on the same model of PC as I'm testing now. The current test hardware is VIA M700 (2GB RAM) and VIA EN15000 (1GB) (very old but very reliable)
ericbsd
Developer

Re: GhostBSD10.1Alpha2 initial startup failure-splash screen

Post by ericbsd »

Oh you can see what going on if hit the space bar on the splash screen.
dewayne

Post by dewayne »

Actually the machines were unresponsive. I suspect that the KVM seems to have caught some signals.

The image used was GhostBSD4.0-RELEASE-i386 and md5 matched.

I have now turned off the splash screen in loader.conf to acquire more information. Directly connecting kbd,mouse,monitor had these results.

PC-1 (Actually an old ASUS notebook with Radeon X1700) usb-boot
Loadding extension GLX
(II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
KLD radeonkms.ko: depends on drmn - not available or version mismatch
Please consult the X.Org Foundation Support at http://wiki.x.org
--abridged: check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log ..."
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

Error .. Permission denied: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.new"
PC-2 (VIA M700 3 years old) using usb-boot
Initialising build-in extension DRI2
Loading extension GLX
(hung - keyboard unresponsive)
I'll need to investigate further. On the fourth attempt, the mouse was responsive until the system hung. :roll:

PC-3 (more than 5 year old) usb-boot
Runs great! :)

PC-4 Virtualbox 4.3.26 (using the same image as usb; created a vhd via gpart then dump/restore, changed fstab)
Runs great! :D
ppyppyppy

Post by ppyppyppy »

I had the similar issue, but when I tried it with an external monitor pluged in I could see the DE. I don't know why the live cd couldn't display something on the laptop monitor, but after the installation everything worked and the laptop monitor is showing everything fine. (version that I installed GhostBSD10.1Alpha2)