v4.0 for beginer -> vmware workstation 10 tools installation

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
netuser

v4.0 for beginer -> vmware workstation 10 tools installation

Post by netuser »

Hi,
the question:
How to install the vmware tools - or basically - how to download and compile all the required kernel/sources deps on GhostBSD v4.0 ?

The problem:

Code: Select all

[bsd@bsd ~/Desktop/vmware-tools-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmemctl-only]$ su -
Password:
root@bsd:~ # vmware-config-tools.pl
Initializing...

Making sure services for VMware Tools are stopped.

Stopping VMware Tools services in the virtual machine:
   Guest operating system daemon:                                      done
   Guest memory manager:                                               done

The vmblock enables dragging or copying files between host and guest in a
Fusion or Workstation virtual environment.  Do you wish to enable this feature?
[yes] no

Detected X server version 1.12.4

Distribution provided drivers for Xorg X server are used.

Skipping X configuration because X drivers are not included.

Starting VMware Tools services in the virtual machine:
   Switching to guest configuration:                                   done
   Guest memory manager:                                              failed
   Guest operating system daemon:                                      done
Unable to start services for VMware Tools

Execution aborted.

root@bsd:~ # logout
[bsd@bsd ~/Desktop/vmware-tools-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmemctl-only]$ cd /home/bsd/Desktop/vmware-tools-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmemctl-only
[bsd@bsd ~/Desktop/vmware-tools-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmemctl-only]$ make
make: "/usr/share/mk/bsd.kmod.mk" line 12: Unable to locate the kernel source tree. Set SYSDIR to override.
[bsd@bsd ~/Desktop/vmware-tools-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmemctl-only]$ ls -al /usr/src/
total 12
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  512 Sep 25 01:37 .
drwxr-xr-x  17 root  wheel  512 Oct  5 23:55 ..
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  512 Sep 25 01:37 sys
[bsd@bsd ~/Desktop/vmware-tools-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmemctl-only]$ ls -al /usr/src/sys/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Sep 25 01:37 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  512 Sep 25 01:37 ..
[bsd@bsd ~/Desktop/vmware-tools-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmemctl-only]$ uname -a
FreeBSD bsd 10.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Aug 31 02:10:23 ADT 2014     root@ericbsd:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GHOSTBSD  amd64
Could you please advise, how to make it work in GhostBSD v4.0?

Thank you in advance.
Regards,
NU.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: v4.0 for beginer -> vmware workstation 10 tools installa

Post by ericbsd »

Extract this as root in / and everything should be OK to compile VMware.
amd64 ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/relea ... SE/src.txz
i386 ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/relea ... SE/src.txz
netuser

Post by netuser »

Thank you EricBsd.

The sources are expanded, however the vmware tools compilation fails on different reason:

Code: Select all

[bsd@bsd ~/Desktop/vmware-tools-distrib/lib/modules/source/vmmemctl-only]$ make
os.c:298:22: error: implicit declaration of function 'kmem_alloc_nofault' is invalid in C99 [-Werror,-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
   vm_offset_t res = kmem_alloc_nofault(kernel_map, PAGE_SIZE);
                     ^
os.c:355:14: error: incompatible pointer types passing 'vm_map_t' (aka 'struct vm_map *') to parameter of type 'struct vmem *' [-Werror,-Wincompatible-pointer-types]
   kmem_free(kernel_map, (vm_offset_t)mapping, PAGE_SIZE);
             ^~~~~~~~~~
@/vm/vm_extern.h:59:29: note: passing argument to parameter here
void kmem_free(struct vmem *, vm_offset_t, vm_size_t);
                            ^
os.c:372:33: error: implicit declaration of function 'kmem_alloc' is invalid in C99 [-Werror,-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
   p->bitmap = (unsigned long *)kmem_alloc(kernel_map, p->size);
                                ^
os.c:372:33: note: did you mean 'kmem_malloc'?
                                ^~~~~~~~~~
                                kmem_malloc
@/vm/vm_extern.h:58:13: note: 'kmem_malloc' declared here
vm_offset_t kmem_malloc(struct vmem *, vm_size_t size, int flags);
            ^
os.c:372:16: error: cast to 'unsigned long *' from smaller integer type 'int' [-Werror,-Wint-to-pointer-cast]
               ^
os.c:379:14: error: incompatible pointer types passing 'vm_map_t' (aka 'struct vm_map *') to parameter of type 'struct vmem *' [-Werror,-Wincompatible-pointer-types]
   kmem_free(kernel_map, (vm_offset_t)p->bitmap, p->size);
             ^~~~~~~~~~
@/vm/vm_extern.h:59:29: note: passing argument to parameter here
void kmem_free(struct vmem *, vm_offset_t, vm_size_t);
                            ^
5 errors generated.
*** Error code 1
Stop.

What should I do next in order to make the vmware tools working?
Regards,
NU.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

How did you try to install vmware?
netuser

Post by netuser »

ericbsd wrote:How did you try to install vmware?
Hi EricBSD,
I don't know if there are any other/special ways for vm tools installation, so I would say that I do that in the most common way, which is show on code section from my 1st post here, however we could divide it into following steps:
1. mount the cd with freebsd/10 vm tools package from Workstation menu
2. copy and extract the vmware-tools-distrib
3. cd to vmware-tools-distrib dir
4. run with sudo the vmware-install.pl (check the screen below) - the install/file copying process always goes fine.
5. run with sudo the vmware-config-tools.pl - it says that second module = Guest memory manager fails, which I've found to be common issue of vanilla vmware tools in FreeBSDs version 10.
6. After Internet searching, it looked like potential solution could be the recompilation of the Guest memory manager = vmmemctl-only module from the vmware sources, that whay the BSD I've asked about the kernel sources, but after having them extracted, the actual make/compilation of the vmmemctl-only module gives the errors, that you can check on the screen:

7. It does look to me like the common FreeBSD v10 family issue - https://communities.vmware.com/message/2342564 or http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/4 ... -freebsd10 -> that seems to be unresolved until today...?

Please advise, how to setup the vmware-tools from Workstation10 to make them work under the GhostBSD 4.0,
while the open-vm-tools package is not enough for me, while it does not have the clipboard sharing (you can not copy and paste text from host to guest and viceversa), it also still has bad GUI performance under VM and no smooth mouse coursor/focus movement across between the host and guest (you still have to click to activate vm/guest or press CTRL+A to go back from BSD guest to host), so this is not good enough for common usage and typical activities.

Regards,
NU.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I am no expert with VMware, but this http://www.rhyous.com/2012/05/09/instal ... hout-xorg/ might help you.
netuser

Post by netuser »

ericbsd wrote:I am no expert with VMware, but this http://www.rhyous.com/2012/05/09/instal ... hout-xorg/ might help you.
Thank you EricBSD, but please consider - the solution linked by you was fine on *BSDs v.9.x.
The GhostBSD v4 seems to be based on FreeBSD v10...

So,
the mentioned technique from BSD 9.x with recompilation of the vmmemctl module is impossible to apply on GhostBSD v4 neither any FreeBSD v10
-> cause of make/compilation errors that I've posted above in this topic, while it is impossible to complete the step 7.3.4:

Step 7.3 – Compile the vmmemctl module
Recompile vmmemctl using these steps.
1. Go to the lib/modules/source directory under where you extracted vmware-freebsd-tools.tar.gz.
# cd /root/vmware-tools-distrib/lib/modules/source/
2. Extract vmmemctl.tar
# tar -xf vmmemctl.tar
3. Change to the vmmemctl-only directory.
# cd vmmemctl-only
4. Run make.
# make
5. Run make install.
# make install

- there is no way to pass the step 4 and 5 on GhostBSD v4 neither on vanilla FreeBSD v10 - you will get the mentioned errors of:

Please advise,
how to make it work in GhostBSD v4.

Regards,
NU.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I do know people have trouble to make work VMware on FreeBSD. Like I said I am no expert to WMware and I can't really help, I had never use VMware.

It might not compile well under clang.

Jails is the best option on FreeBSD.
netuser

Post by netuser »

ericbsd wrote:I do know people have trouble to make work VMware on FreeBSD. Like I said I am no expert to WMware and I can't really help, I had never use VMware.

It might not compile well under clang.

Jails is the best option on FreeBSD.
It is not the case.
I'm sorry, but this really goes nowhere.
I'm not asking about making VMware work on FreeBSD.
Jails is not any option and it has nothing to do with vmware-tools.

I'm asking about running the GhostBSD v4 as a guest system under the Vmware Workstation 10.
It does require to install just the vmware-tools package on the GhostBSD guest in order to have the it running smoothly
. While with the VMware Tools SVGA driver installed, Workstation supports significantly faster graphics performance. The VMware Tools package provides support required for shared folders and for drag and drop operations.
Other tools in the package support synchronization of time in the guest operating system with time on the host, automatic grabbing and releasing of the mouse cursor, copying and pasting between guest and host, and improved mouse performance in guest operating system.

According to wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GhostBSD - The GhostBSD is a Unix-like operating system based on FreeBSD, with MATE as its default desktop environment (GNOME was the previous desktop environment). It aims to be easy to install, ready-to-use and easy to use. The project goal is to combine security, privacy, stability, usability, openness, freedom and to be free of charge.

Based on that definition, I wanted to test and learn the current/v4 release of GhostBSD in order to check if that platform would be usable and suitable for my and my team needs.
Of course, nowadays the most common testing and evaluation platform is the Vmware with its' ESX/5.5 on servers and Workstation/10 on desktops.
Honestly, there is very little sense to install any system for the first time, additionally targeted for testing/evaluation on the bare hardware.

Having said all that, I think this is sad, but there seems to be a logical conclusion,
that - if the GhostBSD that aims to be the FreeBSD with human face for regular users (similarly to Ubuntu at Linux world) - and it can not run well under the Vmware cause users currently not being able to install the vmware-tools due to errors mentioned in this topic, I don't see any real chance for broader adoption of the GhostBSD among regular/business/company users, while they can not conveniently test it under Vmware before production, which is defacto the corporate standard for any new systems and applications evaluation process.

Regards,
NU.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

For the Xorg drivers xf86-video-vmware but other than that, like i said I am no expert on WMware and I am the only developer in the project. The only virtual machine that GHostBSD work well on is Virtual Box.