gBSD 4.0 fails to load on Intel onboard Ivy bridge graphics.

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
mzs_47

gBSD 4.0 fails to load on Intel onboard Ivy bridge graphics.

Post by mzs_47 »

Hello,
I downloaded the 64bit .img release file of gBSD.
The system boots up fine till the GUI, I can see the mouse pointer on console(CLI). After which the screen goes blank and my monitor shows "no signal" message.
I can see the num lock on and I cannot toggle it nor can I see the USB lighting up after this, so that means the system froze.

I followed the first steps described on gBSD wiki and changed the IGP settings from auto to enabled and changed the shared memory to max.
http://wiki.ghostbsd.org/index.php?titl ... leshooting

I then tried dropping to the boot loader prompt to execute following->

Code: Select all

unload 
    disable-module vesa 
    set module_path=/boot/kernel;/boot/modules;CONSOLE 
    boot 
However it fails at

disable-module vesa 
saying command not found.

My Hardware-
Intel Pentium G2030
Motherboard- Gagiabyte GA-B75-D3H

On Linux mint 17 64bit with xfce ->

$ lspci -vnn|grep VGA -A 12
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0152] (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device [1458:d000]
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 43
	Memory at f7800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
	Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	I/O ports at f000 [size=64]
	Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: i915

I tried using this live USB on my brother's PC with Nvidia, and It works. I went intel just because of FreeBSD and Linux support. But looks like Nvidia is better supported :o
I don't know what else can I try.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: gBSD 4.0 fails to load on Intel onboard Ivy bridge graph

Post by ericbsd »

Its something that I don't get about Intel I have Lenovo T530 with and 4000M Intel graphic card witch work fine. I now that some people who have tried PC-BSD They have no problem I just don't know what I do wrong. I need people that can make work that hardware on FreeBSD for this project, but for the moment no body look to be interested to do that. If I compile X without hald that will fix the problem.
mzs_47

Post by mzs_47 »

ericbsd wrote:Its something that I don't get about Intel I have Lenovo T530 with and 4000M Intel graphic card witch work fine. I now that some people who have tried PC-BSD They have no problem I just don't know what I do wrong. I need people that can make work that hardware on FreeBSD for this project, but for the moment no body look to be interested to do that. If I compile X without hald that will fix the problem.
Thanks Eric.

Yes I tried PC-BSD 10.0.3(latest stable) and it boots up fine with proper resolution.
I can help you with this hardware, but just after this week(after 11 October) I am moving to a new place where I won't be taking this machine.

So I am not sure how much of help that could be to you.
Right now I am running Mint 17 64bit XFCE. I have kept a partion just for gBSD.

Let me know what else can I try. I will send back the results to you.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I have contact Kris and I think I found what I did wrong. I will release beta 4.1 with change some change to see what if it get better.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Eh Can you give my your /etc/X11/xorg.conf in PCBSD?
mzs_47

Post by mzs_47 »

ericbsd wrote:Eh Can you give my your /etc/X11/xorg.conf in PCBSD?
Sorry, I could not install it.
Installation fails at initial step which shows "stamping /dev/adapx for booting" or smothing like that and my bios_grub partion gets corrupted, which in turn is affecting Linux Mint boot.
I tried various combiantions of bootloader options- GRUB-SLICE, NONE, and GRUB. None of them worked.

I recovered the grub using boot repair utility -> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

As I am installing on SSD I made swap size equal to zero. PC-BSD installer defaults it at 2000MB. I should try setting the swap to some non-zero value.