Installing

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
drrdf

Installing

Post by drrdf »

HI Guys, I am new to Ghostbsd. From what I have seen of it so far I am very impressed. It is one of the very few OSs which will work at all now with my 1999 GeForce 64 MB graphics card. Due to changes in the Linux kernel for example this will no longer work with any current Linux version. However, intially I had much trouble installing Ghostbsd. Now with the new beta release 2 it has installed OK, but I still cannot get either of my wireless cards to work. In the verbose run-up at boot both of these are recognised, but then they are not enabled.

This is strange because PCBSD installs both of my wireless devices straight away and all works, but Ghostbsd does not. This is a great pity because the GUI of Ghost bsd and its approach represent a great improvement on PCBSD, and I would like to be able to use it. The wireless devices which will not install are a Marvell chipped card and a Ralink 54M USB wireless link. Can anyone advise me please as to how I can connect these? Thanks.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Installing

Post by ericbsd »

mr-shmit

Post by mr-shmit »

I installed GhostBSD, but how do I install the Russian language to Mate? :?
I'm new to GhostBSD. It was my first installation. I had a little experience in FreeBSD.
bsdkeith

Post by bsdkeith »

To change your keyboard layout under X, in a terminal,

Code: Select all

setxkbmap gb
will change it to English British, just swap your country code letters for the 'gb'.
Linux user since 1999; & now a BSD user.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Actually you can change the language and Keyboard in the login window when you select your user. but it is not possible on the live image at the moment.
nawaz

Post by nawaz »

Thanks for the answer, I forgot to mention that it's the same on real hardware, corei3 with intel gpu... But it's not important anymore. So no driver is loaded on startup at all?

I tried `kldload vboxvideo` as root, but failed too... kldload can't load vboxvideo: No such file or directory.

Could you tell me the exact way to make X work?