GhostBSD and ports

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
trigggl

GhostBSD and ports

Post by trigggl »

Is it possible to make GhostBSD primarily ports based. It seems like versions of packages seem to get in the way.

I'm thinking of switching from Gentoo Linux to GhostBSD and I'd like as much software as possible built from ports. Would it be easier to just start from a FreeBSD system?

Gentoo may lose me based on the stabilization of Gnome 3.8 and the need to switch from OpenRC to systemd. Gnome 3.8 might as well be Windows 8. :evil:
adripillo12

Re: GhostBSD and ports

Post by adripillo12 »

trigggl wrote:Is it possible to make GhostBSD primarily ports based. It seems like versions of packages seem to get in the way.

I'm thinking of switching from Gentoo Linux to GhostBSD and I'd like as much software as possible built from ports. Would it be easier to just start from a FreeBSD system?

Gentoo may lose me based on the stabilization of Gnome 3.8 and the need to switch from OpenRC to systemd. Gnome 3.8 might as well be Windows 8. :evil:

If you are an old Gentoo user I think you wont have any problem to use FreeBSD. I never used Gentoo for desktop really, more for dedicated servers but if you like to start with GhostBSD it is a good option for sure and you can use ports, in fact I am using ports at this moment.
We are working on the GhostBSD 4.0 version, it will brings a lot of new and nice improvements.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

It is save to use FreeBSD ports on GhostBSD.
trigggl

Post by trigggl »

adripillo12 wrote:If you are an old Gentoo user I think you wont have any problem to use FreeBSD. I never used Gentoo for desktop really, more for dedicated servers but if you like to start with GhostBSD it is a good option for sure and you can use ports, in fact I am using ports at this moment.
We are working on the GhostBSD 4.0 version, it will brings a lot of new and nice improvements.
I did a complete update using ports and it updated a lot of packages. I really like it so far, but I may have to switch back to Gentoo and perhaps run GhostBSD in a virtualbox. Unfortunately, I need opencl and cuda support to use my GPU in BOINC. As far as I know, I can't do that with Linux in a virtualbox which is the setup I have currently. I wonder why nVidia refuses to support the BSDs. :?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Most of the card is supported by Nvidia, but for cuda on BSD I have no idea.